• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3A Door Question

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
<span style="font-size: 12pt">Hey Guys - Am finally finding time to fit my doors after replacing the entire underneath of the car (sills, pans, firewall, trunk floor, etc.).

To get my gaps, I've had to do some door shaving and reworking both the A and B pillars. It's not just enough to add body shims. The darn door on PS was just too tight, after all my "careful" body panel refitting.
Anyway, as I rework the door and replace the bottom of the skin and the bottom of the door frame (more rust rot), I'd like to remove the door linkage. How do I remove this fastener on the inside of the door handle shaft?

Also, is it difficult to remove the wood adjacent to the door opening mechanism and along the top of the door. The top of the door skin appears nailed to the wood - I probably don't want to mess with that...

I'll update with more pics of my progress, hopefully later today.
Pat
59 TR3A

</span>
Doorfastenerquestion.jpg

<span style="font-size: 17pt">View of bottom of door from inside...

</span>
Doorbottomrot.jpg

Country flag
Pat, that little fastener is a pain to remove without breaking. Almost like the Chinese finger trap. I just use a pair of flat blade scewdrivers underneath the tabs and slowly work the fastener up the shaft. Would suggest looking for another PS door if that one is too tight. I've found up to a 1/4" difference in lenghts in the doors. Measure it and let me know the lenght, I have a few spare doors, one may be shorter.

Marv

OP
PatGalvin

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks Marv

I'm going to spend the day welding and cutting - it's a beautiful day in Sacramento so I'll enjoy myself. If I can't get it to fit, after all the fun with metal, I'll measure and give you a shout.

Anybody remove the wood from their TR3A doors? I lit one piece on fire last night in a welding frenzy....

Pat

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
When I broke that fastener getting it off, I discovered that an ordinary split lock washer made a reasonable replacement. Don't recall the size offhand, but it turned out to fit onto the shaft (square peg in a round hole) by spreading the split just a bit, and then locked securely when released. It was still in place when the car got wrecked over 10 years later.

But they're available from TRF now.

OP
PatGalvin

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
OK, now how does this bracket slide off the door handle shaft. Mine is attached solid, and won't budge at all. Apply heat or gear puller? Can't really get any leverage to pull hard on it.

doorhandleremoval.jpg

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
That should be a slip fit. It is likely a little corroded onto the shaft. The lever seems to be some kind of pot metal, so I doubt it will take a lot of heat before it melts.

I'm not necessarily recommending this, but here is the method I used to hold my latch together. Just an option...

d3a31113.jpg

John

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
As John says, it should be a slip fit. I'd start by soaking it overnight in PB Blaster (or your favorite penetrating oil) to see if that won't loosen it up some.

If I remember correctly, you can get behind it to add some support to the sheet metal bracket that it rests against. Wood (preferably hardwood) should do. Take the screws out of the handle, and then drive the shaft through the lever.

Mild heat should help, but don't get too carried away with all that wood nearby. My levers were steel, although it could vary.

Country flag
Don't put any heat on it, I ruined at least 2/3 before I figured it out. The potmetal is almost solder, it gives away quick. Soak with your favorite solvent, I cut a 1/4' pc of metal, like a collar and slip it under the rotating pc, like Randall said remove the two bolt, put the collar on and tap the shaft thru. I like to file the side of the shaft before I tap it down.

Marv

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
That's funny...I mean...not funny Luke! I suspected they were a very soft metal. I can't take credit for my retaining system. It came with the car...

John

OP
PatGalvin

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Guys
Did I biff this one too badly? Soaked in PB Blaster for several days and then put a little puller on this (thus the drilled center of the square shaft) and pulled on the bracket to try and push shaft out. The pot metal is pulling out from the steel bracket and still stuck on the square shaft. I filed the square shaft clean, just to make it a little easier to slide off (to no avail).

Thoughts on what to do next??? Need to get the handle removed so I can finish the door. Need to have useful parts when I reassemble...

I now realize I left one nut on the door handle but that wouldn't have prevented the bracket from sliding on the shaft (sliding even a bit).

Thanks

Pat

Doorhandlebreakage.jpg

Country flag
I have ruined one or two in my day. I found that you have to get a little rough with them. I put wood blocks under each side of the bracket, making sure that the wood spreads out and contacts the door metal. I then put the door on top of a vise that is opened enough to let the door handle hang between. A brass hammer with a few hits usually breaks it loose. I do clean up the door handle shaft surface before I do any hammering.

Good Luck

Marv

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Pat I think I have a couple extras of those parts. If you need one let me know!

OP
PatGalvin

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks Dan
I'll know after this weekend. Hope to complete all (yes, nearly two years) of rust repair this weekend and get everything primed in epoxy.
Have a great Xmas! Hope Santa brings you a supercharger. Oops, I forgot - you already have one. OK, hope Santa brings you an oil tight rear seal!
Pat

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I hope that Santa brings me some time.I have been working 10 hour days, Leave home at 4:30 am get home at 7:30 pm. I haven't had time to finish my engine rebuild.(Maybe Christmas day?) Nah. Merry Christmas to all.

sagebrushbob

Pat I think I have a couple extras of those parts. If you need one let me know!

Dan, a couple years ago, Pat Galvin was looking for the pot metal bushing on the square door shaft. I just started my TR3 restoration today, and the bushing crumbled in my hand!
Do you still have a spare you would part with? if not, do you know of another one?
Thanks, and sorry to bother you after such a long spell.
Bob Teal

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Hey Bob
We are at Triumpfest right now. I will see if I can find them on Monday. Sunday is the CCRG races at the Sonoma race track. A great long weekend.