• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3A Accelerator Pedal Assembly

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
TRA Judging Standards and Restoration Guidelines state that the accelerator pedal and shaft should be clear cadmium plated, natural or finished in a silver gray to duplicate metal.
I know some of you have refinished this item. Did you paint them leave them natural or what did you do?
I have by brute force, a big hammer and a stout vice gotten it partially apart. We'll see about the rest of it. Did any of you use heat to get the front bushing off?

Your thoughts greatly appreciated, Tinkerman

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Painted mine black along with the housing, they'd shortly be a nice rust brown if left natural...didn't know they were originally cad plated.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Tinkenman I painted mine black and they looked black from the factory to me. They come apart kinda hard, but not that hard. I drove the split pin out with a punch and put it back in the same way. They usually just need a new split pin on the carb linkage end. Those nylon bushings are pretty tough. As you probably know the back bushing is trapped on there by the small collar and split pin. If the bushing is good, I would leave that end alone and just replace the split pin on the carb end were it usually becomes lose.
Steve

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I agree with sp53 Dick, Oh yes I did use 1/8" masonite for the trunk board.

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I don't know about the TR3A but my 56 were painted black at the factory. I just cleaned them for repainting Monday. I'm not sure if the pedal itself was painted or not. I'm sure the paint would wear off over time on the pedal face.

One more thing that I found was that 3 out of 4 of the metal bush housings on the shaft were painted black, and one was body color.

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
FWIW I don't know what the 'judges' might hold you to but anyone that's looked into Coventry practices about paining whatever soon figures out that they'd paint anything with whatever color they had in the gun, laying about or were told to ny the super...ergo some frames black, some bodycolor, some other than body color and not black..
I suspect the pedals and box unit were painted whatever too.

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Yeah that would look good in cad too but I like the black and actually have never seen anything other than the black

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
My pedal assembly and cross shaft on my 1958 TR3A that is located behind the engine block were painted black in 1989 while I was doing my restoration. I never heard any comments about this from any judge during about 10 or 12 TRA judging concours events.

OP
Tinkerman

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
You guys got me convinced! Black it is, thanks for your input.

Tinkerman