• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR 3 Side curtain fitting

GilsTR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
We have a 60 TR3A and 62 TRB that we are finally getting around to fitting the side curtains. The side curtains for
the 60 were purchased as used and refurbished...and were never fit to this car. The 62 car has new curtains...I think from TRF. Both cars / curtains have the same issue...the frames do not slide up to the car and seem to line up correctly.
Seeking input on fitting these. It is obvious that some bending is going to need to be done. While the curtains look very good sitting on the shelf they do not follow the path of the newley installed top. Any detailed help greatly appreciated. Anyone know some links?
Thanks...Gil

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Hi Gil.

Here's a link to a previous discussion of fitting those sidecurtains. A mixed bag of tricks, as the dzus fasteners go into a wooden frame inside the door, and any replacements may or may not have been fit to the holes in that wooden frame. Some guys actually make new holes for the fasteners.

Several variables: the bends in the metal support brackets, the relation of the dzus fasteners to the frame inside the door panel, and the cutting of the rubber seals on the sides and top. They don't want you to get bored!

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php/topics/374132/1

I had to do a little "convincing" myself, but the hardest part for me was fitting the new rubber seals.

Hope this helps.
Tom

Perrymip

Jedi Hopeful
Since the side curtains for neither car have been previously fitted to the cars, you are in the unhappy position of needing to start from the beginning. That means remove the anchor plates from inside the doors, attach them to the curtains with the dzus fasteners, have a helper position one of the doors (front seam of the curtain snug against the windshield stanchion, top seam mated with the flap in your soft top) while you mark the positions of the (new) screw holes for the anchor plates.

You'll likely also need to reposition the screw for male part of the snap fastener that attaches the side curtain to the inside of the door (by way of a short strap).

With luck this will result in a good fit. With bad luck you'll need to proceed to some very careful bending of the side curtains' supports.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Geo Hahn said:
What rubber seals? Do original side curtains have such a thing?

Aftermarket certainly do, I have a couple of sad survivors that have a fairly wide rubber fairing on the outside. My guess is Amco, but don't know that for certain.

Originals I believe do not, just the steel frame and vinyl covering.

Randy

TruCraft

Jedi Hopeful
Will be working on recovering my original side curtains and installing soon.
Got this info from the other thread.

"As Harry notes, the leading edge slips into the groove and the top edge fits under the flap on the hood (top). On mine the back edge is the poorest fit but given the direction of the overlap that portion doesn't want to admit rain or wind."

The thing I don't understand is how you get the side curtain under the top flap, when your sitting in the car?????
Lyle

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
My original side curtains didn't have the rubber. My cutains were pretty tight to the weather and it took a hard rain to get any water into the car.

"how you get the side curtain under the top flap"

I was able to reach up and slide my finger between the inner flap and side curtain, push out on the outer flap until it lapped over the curtain at the windshield, and then run finger from front to back, pushing on the outer flap. Took about 2 seconds.

Jim

Perrymip

Jedi Hopeful
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]The thing I don't understand is how you get the side curtain under the top flap, when your sitting in the car?????[/QUOTE]

Exactly as Jim says above, you open the sliding window and run your finger back along the top's flap. For some unfathomable reason my passenger side snugs in perfectly with the latest top; the driver's side refuses.

TruCraft

Jedi Hopeful
bgbassplyr said:
"how you get the side curtain under the top flap, when your sitting in the car?"

I was able to reach up and slide my finger between the inner flap and side curtain, push out on the outer flap until it lapped over the curtain at the windshield, and then run finger from front to back, pushing on the outer flap. Took about 2 seconds.
Jim
Wow!
Today if a new car has a rattle or a little wind noise around a seal, or the power window goes up too slow......
Gotta love the 50's!
:smile:
Lyle

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
I didn't have to slide the window open.

As an aside, I had a German Shepard (60 pounder) who loved to ride and she could go through the open sliding window, hardly touching it.

Jim

Perrymip

Jedi Hopeful
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]I didn't have to slide the window open.

As an aside, I had a German Shepard (60 pounder) who loved to ride and she could go through the open sliding window, hardly touching it.

Jim[/QUOTE]

Come to think more closely, I guess I don't open the window either, but just reach up and under the flap. All secrets out: I also put a nickel between the front side curtain leg and the anchor plate on the passenger side, since I really don't want to do any bending. That's just to cut the air noise a bit at speeds over seventy, when the curtains tend to be pulled outward, air-foil effect.

I would have been surprised if you had said "dachshund."

PSUTR3B

I bought frames for my Tr3B from TRF. I then fit them to my car by trial and error-bending the arms, bending the frames and moving the latching plates. It took several tries on each curtain until I was satisfied. Both fit better than than the driver's side on the 1960 TR3A I had back in '66, though the passenger side on that car was weather tight. On the driver's side the sidecurtain split at least 3/4" from the windscreen at speed above 25 and I was snowed and rained on depending on the inclemency and the cold air just poured in. The 1962 TR3B sees neither rain nor snow and the curtains stay tight to the windscreen on both sides.

After fitting the curtains I sent them back to TRF and they covered them and installed the windows-a very fine result. And the flap on the top is fit by a finger thru the sliding window in just a second or two. Isn't that the way everyone does it?

Gary