• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Removing side curtain protective paper

coj

My 3000 came with side curtains that had not been used. They have a protective advesive paper covering over the plexiglass.
My problem is that this covering has been on the plexiglass for so long it is very hard, if no impossible to safely remove without scratching the plexi.Does anyone know of an adhesive remover that can be use for this? Is there a way to soak them off, I have already tried leaving them in water, both hot and cold, no luck. Thanks for any info.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I usually use Goo-Gone, but you should make sure it's ok with plexiglass. I think it is, but it has been a while.

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
3M makes an adhesive remover that you can get from most auto paint stores.
Believe it will do the job for you but as John said above, double check on
plexiglas.
Good luck,
Mike

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
coj said:
My 3000 came with side curtains that had not been used. They have a protective advesive paper covering over the plexiglass.
My problem is that this covering has been on the plexiglass for so long it is very hard, if no impossible to safely remove without scratching the plexi.Does anyone know of an adhesive remover that can be use for this? Is there a way to soak them off, I have already tried leaving the m in water, both hot and cold, no luck. Thanks for any info.
The paper can be removed but only with the correct "remover". Google in a "plastics" supply which usually is a supply house for wholesale plastics, etc., and tell them what you need. Do not ever ever use lacquer thinner on acrylic or you'll destroy it!!
Patrick

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I've used Bestine rubber cement thinner, which will not harm the acrylic panels (plexiglas), although it is expensive and not particularly good to get on your skin. GooGone as someone already mentioned should work and is not a biohazard. You may also try a hair dryer (not a heat gun) which may soften the old adhesive to a point where you can peel it off? Be patient and use a soft cloth not paper towels.

LEERIVAS

I use WD40 for everything, including lipstick stained collars.

I have found it equally effective when removing bumper sticker adhesion.

My solution? Soak the paper with water and you can then rub it off with your fingers. Then dry the window and spray WD40.

The adhesive should just melt off.

dougsmarkIII

Use some medium grade steel wool to rough up the top of the paper this will allow some mineral spirits to soak in better and soften the adhesive. Bestine rubber cement thinner is Naptha. Both it and mineral spirits are available from home improvement stores. Bestine comes in small bottles and sometimes larger tin containers and enough for your job would be very expensive. WD40 would have the same cost problem. Mineral Spirits cost about $7-8 a gallon, Naptha somewhat more. Naptha is a stronger solvent but also evaporates much faster. Actually a mixture of the two would probably be a good solvent for your purpose.

Doug

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I believe naptha (aka lighter fluid) is chemically different from Bestine rubber cement thinner, although it may be equally effective for this task.

OP
coj

coj

Thanks to all for the help. I will give the ideas a try on a small section of the plexiglass. I think the covering has been on there for about 20 + years, they were in the original box and probably went through a lot of different temperature extremes.

COJ

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
coj said:
Thanks to all for the help. I will give the ideas a try on a small section of the plexiglass. I think the covering has been on there for about 20 + years, they were in the original box and probably went through a lot of different temperature extremes.

COJ
You may not be able to remove the paper at all even with the special paper remover commercially available.

The plex is not that difficult to remake using a router!
I made wood templates about 30 years ago using the original plex and used a piece of oversized plex stuck to the wood with double-faced carpet tape and routed the plex. Plex is available in about .118 thickness,(slightly under 1/8"). Pay close attention to the type of router bit you use!! After routing, check the fit and then sand smooth the edges with 400 sandpaper. Polish the sanded edges and you have your new sidecurtains.

Don't try to go with the tinted plex because they do not work for tinted windows!! Stick with clear!
Patrick

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
People, let's keep it simple and inexpensive. Isopropyl alcohol is not going to harm acrylic . It will soften dried adhesives and allow you to remove the film. Us it all the time on aircraft canopies and windows.