• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Side Curtain Modifications to eliminate noise

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
I am looking for some good ideas from the Forum to improve the modifications I have started to the side curtains on my BT7. I currently have brand new sidecurtains. They fit reasonably well, have new clear plexiglass that slides easily and the new aluminum frames are blemish free. In other words they look about as good as side curtains can look.

However, as some of you know, I will be taking a 7,000 mile cross country trip next month, and as good as those side curtains look, they still rattle like crazy. The two plexiglass panels bang together and make a real racket.

So, Tim Moran and I have been working independently on a modification or redesign of the side curtains to address a couple of issues, but in my case primarily the noise.
I decided to use an old set of aluminum side curtain frames as the basis of my project. I cut the top and rear upright out of the frames so that I could slide a new piece of Lexan (one piece) into the frame. The inside track of the frame is wide enough to accept the 1/4" Lexan. I suppose that I could spend some big bucks and have a fabricator make a chromed brass channel for a frame, but I didn’t have time before my trip. The other reason for modifying the original frame is that it allowed me to just insert new rubber seals to seal the side curtain to the exterior of the door. I used Lexan because it is much stronger than plexiglass, doesn’t scratch as easily, and it can be drilled without fear of cracking.

I also used the two original brackets that mount the side curtains to the inside of the door. For the rear bracket (as the photo shows) I inserted the bolt for the top fitting of the bracket through a hole I drilled in the Lexan. I then made a pattern for new glass and had a glass shop cut my Lexan. I am pretty satisfied with the one-piece side curtain glass. While the modified frame doesn’t look as finished as the originals, it works and I did what I set out to do which was to eliminate noise. When I return from my trip I will clean-up the frames, buff them to get rid of scratches and re-anodize.

I wasn’t completely satisfied with the solid Lexan panels so I made an additional Lexan panel with a hinged section so that I could let in some fresh air and pay the tolls at the toll booths. I got my idea for this from Tim although our concepts are bit different. I used a plastic hinge from McMaster-Carr. https://www.mcmaster.com/#11565a22/=1ds5g1 This clear plastic hinge has a polyester center that is white. As you can see from my photos the hinge works beautifully and unlike the old sliding side curtains, this approach is noise free. However, I am not happy with the esthetics! It looks like the window has a big band-aid on it. I have just ordered a slightly different hinge that has a clear center – we will see how that looks and functions. https://www.mcmaster.com/#11565a12/=1dshce

I am open to any ideas and would appreciate your most critical comments to improve on this concept. I am limited in the time I have to get things done on this. While I like the idea of the hinged panel opening, right now I am thinking of just going with the solid glass, or maybe just carrying along the lower portion of the hinged glass to replace the solid piece when I want to do so. You can switch out the glass in about 2 minutes if you choose to do so. Since this is a spring-early summer trip I really only plan on using the side curtains when it is raining.

Anyway, here are some photos of what I have done. Give me your ideas please – especially you Tim!

Lin

Attachments

• 16468.jpg
    16468.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 587
  • 16469.jpg
    16469.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 590
  • 16470.jpg
    16470.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 595
  • 16471.jpg
    16471.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 586
  • 16472.jpg
    16472.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 581
  • 16473.jpg
    16473.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 583
  • 16474.jpg
    16474.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 593

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Impressive modification. Will the hinged panel provide enough of an opening for ventilation or extending an arm? By the way, polycarbonate (Lexan) scratches more easily than acylic (Plexiglas). I recall when I was a lad with a bug eye Sprite, I would wedge a bit of rag between the panels of the sidecurtains to stop the rattling. A bit low-tech, but effective.

OP
Lin

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Roger,
I had not looked at their web site. However, I didn't see anything that would improve on what I have. I really don't want to use glue because I would like to stay as clear as possible. I am eager to get the second Mcmaster-Carr hinge I referenced. It might be better than what I tried the first time around.

If I can't find a more transparent hinge material I may just stick with the solid Lexan. If I do that, do you think it would make more sense to go with a safety automotive glass? I don't know much about the subject. Do you know if glass shops will custom cut the auto glass?

Nevets,

Yes, I think I am pleased with the location of the panel cut. It seems to let in sufficient air, and while you have to reach up a bit, you can extend your hand out the window. What I was after was trying to avoid putting the hinge in the driver's view when looking at the exterior mirrors.

Lin

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Just another idea. Stick with the tradition two pieces but cut a clear vinyl hose in half length-wise. Glue it to one of the overlapping edges. The flexibility of the hose should make a good, yet unobtrusive seal. Pet shops that make their own fish tanks should have information on a good glue for that.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
You should look into getting your hands on some transparent aluminum. I wonder if that stuff can be welded?

OP
Lin

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Andrea,
I like the concept, but how do you seal the window from the weather? To be able to tilt the glass it cannot be in a track. Perhaps I do not understand well enough from the diagram.

Lin

Cottontop

Jedi Warrior
Lin said:
Give me your ideas please – especially you Tim!

Lin,

GREAT JOB!!!

Thanks for making the "Revision A Prototype".

I can hardly wait to see Rev. B.

I sent you a reply out of forum.

Tim

andrea

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Sorry LIN
I have designed the sketch just in ten seconds after see your work -we have PASQUA Holiday and full time dedicated to family-
Rain protection is not the problem if you don't wont a insulated capsule
-side screen must be machined "FRESATI"
at workshop but are a very easy operation
and after neoprene added on aluminium --also a rubber "U" contour can be added to lexan if required
I hope that additional des. can help you in understanding-is not easy to explain my idea
in one other language
https://picasaweb.google.it/lh/photo/9Rdb5Tzm6HIgx6d4FdD6OQ?feat=directlink
Max rotation can be at my advise 140-- 160 degree
if you have the old pieces of modified side screens
you can try to make one prototype easy

I just have finished my hard top- tanks to your article
https://picasaweb.google.it/lh/photo/kwtrLPP_li-q37utuvfz6g?feat=directlink
You are in my album
https://picasaweb.google.it/lh/photo/8J5uZk8AcxbMVHYoyjr8hg?feat=directlink
I hope that this are not a violation of copyright
BUONA PASQUA!!
ANDREA

OP
Lin

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Andrea,
Buona Pasqua!
Congratulations on the hardtop progress. Working on the top was one of the my least favorite tasks with the restoration. It feels good to have that done, doesn't it!

I better understand the side curtain concept now. Will you be making them or was this just a planning exercise in response to my posting? I would like to see them made.

Andrea, I am flattered and happy for you to include anything from my web site in your album. My idea is that through sharing we can make restoration tasks easier for the next person and the internet gives us a means for communicating that opens up all sorts of possibilities. Thank you.

I think I mentioned to you some time ago that my university has a partnering relationship with the city of Florence, Italy. Last week we signed a new strategic alliance to work on the promotion of arts, culture and education. Much to my surprise, I was presented with an official proclamation and the keys to the City! It was quite an honor for me!

I have watched the news accounts of the earthquake tragedy in Italy. Such a sad story! I hope that you did not have any family that were affected.

Buona Pasqua!

Lin

andrea

Jedi Knight
Country flag
LIN
I just return from one big family meeting beginning at 13 o clock and finish at 18- it is not one dietetic meet but very happy- with my friendly parents RINO, FABIO our wife's- old uncles etc etc
and DANTE that is a Maltese Dog.

Your work was one inspiration for me,
few week ago I have finished my side curtains on orthodox way-
and your topic open one new world in front to me -now I am considering to rebuild the side screen in a new and more modern concept -tanks

We have the same concept- also my album have the intention to help Italians AH re-builders
but your articles are very well structured and very helpful

Luckily I am not involved on AQUILA earthquake Italian Civil Protection Organization are very efficient
but many persons lost lives (many young students) - many person lost all -many oldest persons lost the live motivation -
this is a disaster and a drama-
the survivors are the most courageous-
they must beginning one hard new live
Italians are one very individualist people
but in this situations we are solidal and generous but money aren't all that needed
ANDREA

OP
Lin

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Hi folks,
I have done some refinements to my side curtain modification that I thought I would share. For anyone just joining the discussion take a look at earlier posts to understand why I am doing this.

You will note that the frames and the brackets now look much better. I have prepared one piece glass for both sides of the car, as well as driver's glass with a fold down flap for ventilation and toll booths.

I have a very nice fit with the one piece lexan. I took the car for a ride with the new glass and I can only imagine that it must be very similar to a BJ7-8 now. Absolutely no rattling or wind buffeting and actually very little wind noise - quite comfortable.

My wife told me the angle of the folding flap on version #1 was all wrong - too much going on she said. She advised making the flap angle closer to the angle of the rear braces in the hardtop. I think she is definitely correct; however, this results in a smaller opening that does not let as much air into the cabin - ah well, trade offs!

My first version used a polyester hinge from McMaster-Carr. It was not clear and had a white strip in the fold, down the middle of the hinge. Version #2 uses an acrylic hinge. It is clear and I think looks much better. It is not as flexible as the polyester, but it works well enough.

To hold down the flap, you can see in the photos that I made a little metal tab from 12 gauge steel, 3/4" wide. I rounded the corners and glued a piece of rubber to it so there is a buffer between the lexan and the metal. When the flap is in the upright position, you cannot see the metal tab as it is hidden behind the side curtain rear bracket. When the flap is down you just rotate the metal tab upward to hold the lexan flap. See photos.

I gave the hinged lexan panel with flap a road test also. Like the one piece lexan windows, the one with the fold down flap also functioned quite well. A little fresh air and no rattling. The air intake is limited. A larger flap would bring in more air I am sure. It is all a matter of personal taste.

Of course, most will probably prefer the original sidecurtains, but I am pleased with what I put together. I will report on how they did AFTER my cross-country trip.

Cheers,
Lin

Attachments

• 16620.jpg
    16620.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 350
  • 16621.jpg
    16621.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 353
  • 16622.jpg
    16622.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 344
  • 16623.jpg
    16623.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 336
  • 16624.jpg
    16624.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 336
  • 16625.jpg
    16625.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 338
  • 16626.jpg
    16626.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 333
  • 16627.jpg
    16627.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 333
OP
Lin

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Here are two more photos:

Lin

Attachments

• 16628.jpg
    16628.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 335
  • 16629.jpg
    16629.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 332

andrea

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi LIN
Very good solution - your photos have always good light seems photographed outside but I can see that it was taken inside your garage-
Good news for my solutions one my good friend in GENOA has just bought one FRESATRICE (grinder machine?) so the project-work on the side screen will be free
now I must find one pair of side screens on e bay

Waiting your trip reports
ANDREA :savewave:

OP
Lin

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Thanks Andrea! I look forward to seeing your work on the side curtains.Only a few weeks till the cross-country adventure begins.

Lin

bt7tricarb

Great looking job Lin. Has me considering something different for my car... I may have to drive down and get your advice!

- Devin