• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tools, Do We Need Them All?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Saw these a couple years ago and bought them as I knew I needed them. Been in the box since, never to be used.
They have a light in them and shine a pencil beam of light through the socket. They do work very well in the dark, but have I used them, only once to test one. I guess I'm just a tool junky. :highly_amused: PJ

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I have so many wrenches of every type, I wish I could use them all but one set of offset have yet to be used. My wife did give me a set that have a magnet in the head of a ratchet and they have been very useful for getting nuts on in a tight space. But I have still decided there must be MORE out there.
Jerry

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Tools, don't have' must have can't get enough tools. I need to make the garage just a toolbox and get a barn for the cars. Collection of 40+ years never gets smaller and seems very few break to be replaced. Wow! Just saw an ad of a new tool I don't have, gotta go!

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Wasn't it "He who dies with the most tools wins"?

We may not need them all all of the time, but when you have that job that only a specific tool will do, you sure are thankful you have them. Trying to do work arounds when you don't have the proper tool is a pain in the patootie.

I started with one toolbox. Now I have one toolbox just for my bicycle-specific tools, a second toolbox for the ones I use on the Sprite and a third toolbox of "general" tools for household tasks. It is interesting how often the tools will "cross polinate". I've found all kinds of uses for my bike-specific tools on the Sprite, and that doesn't count the power tools that have their own separate case.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I was pretty content with the amount of tools I have, until, I got involved in restoring this 55 TF! I think I've spent more for a hand full of Whitworth tools and British thread taps and dies, than a 10 drawer rolling cabinet full of regular tools! I've said it before, but now I'm serious, no more tools! Told the wife also, no tools for Christmas or birthdays!!! I have miniature socket sets (3), still in the boxes and Lord knows how many screw driver sets! Why do people give you screw driver sets for a gift? I just smile like I'm thrilled. :highly_amused:. Makes them happy I guess.
I am cleaning house, I just gave away around 2000 pounds of MGB stuff, so I have more space in the shop. Taking stuff to the auction house by the trailer load! No, not taking any tools, I need all of them! :jester:. PJ

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Must say, I am mostly past the "tools" stage - but am into the tool stage. Which is to say I don't want/need more socket sets/wrenches etc, but, if if I need a specific tool for a specific job, that's a different story. Last tool purchase - piston ring compressor. I will maybe only use it one more time but I needed it.

CaptRandy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Not sure I would use the light beam socket as a socket but I might use it to concentrate a beam to see down in the chassis and with a mirror aim it t to see hidden places.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Three generations' worth of tools here, for various jobs. My boxes are full. Primary one is a Snap-On the size of a refrigerator and contains most of the automotive-specific stuff. The two others are 32"x24" seven drawer Snap-On roll cabs, with specialty stuff like precision measuring tools, soldering guns, soldering "pencils," and things not commonly used. Binks "Wren" airbrush, spray-gun rebuild kits, spare files, saw blades, etc. They reside at the rear of the garage side-by-side and have a wood top for workspace/workbench.

Tools... It mostly works the same as hand grenades: "One's too many, a thousand ain't enuff."

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
I think tools are like potato chips, you can't eat just one.

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
I confess I am a tool junkie. I have tools from my Grandfather and my father.
Now I see I need some lighted sockets....cool.

G

I think tools are like potato chips, you can't eat just one.

Show me a bag of chips that I can beat a brake drum off with and I'll show you the last tool you'll ever need. :highly_amused:

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Great Topic, I was in the acquisition since I got my first Craftsman starter set in the late 70s until a year or two ago when I realized I probably had most everything or I needed or stuff to fabricate what I needed and and changed to the "only by a piece if I really need it for the job" like you need a 22 mm socket to take a nut of your daily driver axle shaft stuff. After getting tired of occasionally wasting way to much of my time looking for that half inch socket or wrench when in the middle of a project, I bought a second cheaper set of basic wrenches and sockets for my road tool kit, and of course I have more specialized stuff like SU tuning tools and homemade grease cap pullers.

At this point I figure if I have made it all these year without one I probably don't need it, but wouldn't mind having one of the little scopy camera things you can use to probe into little inaccessible parts and look around and an OBDII sensor for the modern fleet....

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Redoing this TF of mine, I knew that it has almost all Whitworth nuts and bolts. The thread sizes are mostly BSF threads. SO, I had to buy a couple sets of Whitworth wrenches and a set of BSF taps and dies. Hard to comprehend the cost, but I think 55 was the last year the MGs used these sizes and I needed them. Just another added cost of restoring the T series and older MGs. :rolleyes2: PJ