• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Chraftsman tools

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I have many different brands of tools accumulated over the years, including Snap On, Mac, etc and I've always been pleased with the Craftsman brand. The warranty was first rate and the no hassle replacements for a broken piece was a great selling point. SO, needing or should I say wanting, a new set of miniature wrenches, you know, like the old ignition set, I ordered a set from Sears. They are the most disgusting set of wrenches I've ever seen! My boys old erector set has better wrenches in it! That's no joke! The wrenches are stamped out of a piece of flat steel with no attention paid to dressing the wrenches up for proper fit and looks. One side of the wrench is curved from the stamping, almost like a cookie cutter and the other side is sharp where it came out of the die. Two wrenches on the box end are even out of round! Naturally their going back. If this is the way Craftsman is going, They've sold me the last tool I'll ever buy from them. PJ

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Sorry to hear. I have a set of their ignition wrenches that are in a plastic bag. They are the old style and nicely finished. Maybe you should search E'bay, Paul? Snappy probably would want $125+ for the same wrenches.

G

Hey Paul. Check out vimtools.com . #CW100 Ignition wrench set,around $56 bucks. Ive in the Automotive tool business for 34 years and they're not bad for the price. Alot better than the Sears handy man stuff. Snappy will cost you a fortune.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Craftsman seems to run hot and cold, sometimes they are better than others. Oddly enough, I was in my local Sears just last night and happened to see a set of ignition wrenches hanging on a hook that looked identical to my old set: nicely forged rather than stamped with the mold lines smoothed before chroming.

The clerk even said he would "see what he could do" about my busted stud extractor, before I noticed it said "KD" on the side :laugh:

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
Keep in mind that Craftsman is only a brand name, not a manufacturer.

Different Craftsman tools are made by different companies. Variation in design and construction is to be expected.

It would certainly be preferable for Sears to demand high quality from all their makers. So Sears loses points there. But, given Sears' warranty and convenience, I'm willing to pick and choose tools individually from their range.

I think most of their tools still represent good value compared to "off the truck" alternatives.

More and more, I find myself seeking out specific tools from specific manufacturers rather than relying on brand loyalty.

pc.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
PC said:
Different Craftsman tools are made by different companies.
:iagree:
They even switch sources for particular tools from time to time (which probably explains the difference we saw in ignition wrenches).

Another thing to watch out for, not all tools sold in Sears are Craftsman brand. If it only says "Sears" (or "KD" or "Gearwrench" etc) on the tool, then the tool is NOT covered by the Craftsman lifetime warranty.

Note that the lifetime warranty also only applies to hand tools. Power tools used to be only one year, not sure what it is now.

eschneider

Jedi Warrior
I used to be a very loyal Craftsman customer. All my tools when I started turning wrenches were craftsman. These days, I've dealt with Sears stores in Utah, Virginia, DC, WV, and Philly. With a couple of rare exceptions, the only thing I've been able to return under warranty is sockets. Most won't even replace screwdrivers (which I originally purchased as "lifetime warranty").

Dunno about other locations, but I've seen Craftsman sections in KMart here. Perhaps KMart has a different warranty policy.

Just relaying my experiences, without editorialising or stating opinions.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Snappy comes to me. The only times anything has needed replacement there was no issue. The 1/4" ratchet I use most has been re-geared three times over thirty years. Last time, my dealer just handed me a new one. Pricey? Yes. But they really don't fail often, if a socket has split it was usually due to excessive force and STILL replaced.

Don't get me wrong here: I have a fair amount of Craftsman, Proto, MAC and the rest. It's just that Snap-on stuff seems to WORK when I reach for it. One 3/8" ratchet has the chrome worn off it... and my tools don't get dropped or slid across floors. Placed and picked up again, cleaned before they go back into the box. It wore off from thirty-plus years of use.

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I am not sure how widely available they are in the US, but lately I have been buying Signet brand tools, a Canadian company. they also have a lifetime gaurantee, I haven't broken any but from what I hear they stand behind their tools. Very nicely finished.

https://www.signetcanada.com/

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
70herald said:
I am not sure how widely available they are in the US, but lately I have been buying Signet brand tools, a Canadian company. they also have a lifetime gaurantee, I haven't broken any but from what I hear they stand behind their tools. Very nicely finished.

https://www.signetcanada.com/
Good stuff there! I especially like the locking extensions, could've used those last weekend when my stack of extensions kept falling apart. The dimensional drawings are also nice. I'll have to compare those to some of the GearWrenchs I've bought, as the new ones are thicker through the head than the old ones (meaning they don't fit into tight places as well).

I take it they don't sell direct, you have to buy through a reseller?

BRSLimited

Jedi Trainee
I just warrantied a couple screwdrivers at sears yesterday. Those stores have really gone downhill. They don't carry anything like they used to. The screwdrivers that I got from them dont look as good of quality as the only 2 year old ones I took in. I still like craftsman though for the warranty standpoint but I do also have some Mac and Snap on. Some of the things from(not trying to start anything here) Harbor Freight arn't actually that bad either. I have a set of 1/2" drive deep well impact sockets that look identical to the Mac ones. Been using the same set for 4 years now and havn't broken or worn one out yet.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
My tools are a total mix. Many Craftsman tools, some Snappy tools including my 3/8ths ratchet, SK impact sockets, Bluepoint(snappys cheaper line) A few Mac (No dealer) just picked up a NAPA 1/4" ratchet. OK so far, Some off-brand, some no-brand.
It all comes down to cost vs quality vs how much I'm gonna use it. My sockets and ratchets, main air tools, wrenches, and screwdrivers need to be good quality. the stuff I use less often can be a bit cheaper unless it's gonna hurt me if it breaks.
I try to get the best I can, but I ain't made of money.