• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tonneau cover

mjobrien

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Tonneau cover

I need to order a tonneau cover for the 100 and wanted to see if there we any recommendations on the best materials to order it in and any good experiences with a supplier?

Regards,
Michael.

Country flag
Re: Tonneau cover

Basically, the ready-made choices are vinyl and stay-fast canvas. What material are you choosing for your top? I'd use the same for the tonneau.

Country flag

The canvas is Everlast I believe. I think it looks great and wears well. It looks "richer". I use the tonneau almost all the time. I have a Moss type vinyl that cracks where the nylon stiffener goes through the piping from folding to store. It shows white on the black vinyl. Its about 7 years old. Since I don't use the top and tonneau at the same time I don't think it matters. I would not get another vinyl one again.

stevebn2bj7

Jedi Warrior

AH Spares in England offers the best price and excellent quality. Everflex Vinyl is the way to go in my opinion. It is original, stays clean and is easy to maintain. Their 100 tonneau is made a little large so it fully covers the door opening.

62BT7

Country flag

I recently bought a tonneau cover from Heritage. Pricey, but the contruction quality, material(Everlast) and color (red) were what I was looking for. The one thing I would change is the zipper. It's sturdy brass, probably like the original, but it doesn't have material covering it (or God forbid a modern zipper) so I can't help but think it will leak in the rain. We'll see.
-Tom

OP
mjobrien

mjobrien

Jedi Trainee
Country flag

Thanks for the input this helps a lot. I'm going to order one in Everflex from AHS, so far every order has been less expensive than the home market providers.

RF Thom

Jedi Hopeful

mjobrien
Be careful with AH Spares. I ordered one from them for my BN4 when I was accumulating part to rebuild my car. When I got the car together and tried the tonneau on, it was 2" short of reaching the dash, AND the provision for the cross car tonneau bar was again 2" rearward of where it should be. Since 2 years had passed since order and installation I contacted then relative to the concern giving them a dimension for the cockput opening, which I checked on three other cars and they were all within 1/4". They informed me no warranty, and they have sold several without any problem. So with my dimension I ordered another cover, with the provision that if not correct I could return it, - exactly the same, short. I returned it for refund and made my own with material from a local upholstry shop using the first one as an adjusted pattern. Fits perfect. I incorporated a zipper flap and also extended the front edge to go right to the inside base of the windshield, and pull tabs that go through the side screen provisions to hold it in place.
Regards, Bob

HEALEYJAG

Jedi Warrior

Moss everflex..fits perfectly

Pete

Chuck9482912

Gold
Country flag

Any trick to installing a tonneau on a 100? Does it make a difference if it's 50 degrees verses 100 degress?
Chuck

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag

Chuck9482912 said:
Any trick to installing a tonneau on a 100? Does it make a difference if it's 50 degrees verses 100 degress?
Chuck
Yes, lots of difference. If it doesn't fit at 50 degrees(or is very hard to fit), it will fit a lot better at 100 degrees.
The same for tops the first timeyou try to raise them after being stored in the down position.
Patrick

TomFromStLouis

Jedi Trainee
Country flag

I understand why the fabric stretches more in heat, but I have always wondered why those who install the Tenax fasteners etc. don't fit these things cold. I only use the tonneau on cool sunny days and the top on even colder ones, so I am always trying to fit them cold. And it is obvious they were originally sixed and fitted for the heat. If I need to use them in heat, a little loose could not hurt, could it?

Country flag

I assume you are referring to vinyl? If you set it up cold it will sag for heat. Any heat, not just hot.
On a related question, what happens with Everflex and canvas?

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag

Tom, if installed when warm the vinyl will keep it's shape, even when cold. Plus, most new tonneau's need to be "stretched" to even reach the fasteners.

AH_3000

Hi Guys...

Ordered the tonneau cover from Moss, but unfortunately, without the accessories...Before ordering the Tenax sockets etc. I'd just like a tip or two about installing it (SunFast Cloth). There are no wholes or directions - <span style="font-weight: bold">what else do I need, except for the sockets </span>(10?) and the tonneau support (rail)? Clip ons? Eyelets? Not easy if you haven't got the old tonneau...:

<span style="font-weight: bold">Should I "wet" the SunFast Cloth</span>, before marking out for the holes to the sockets? Any othe tips and tricks?

Question about my top (same material SunFast Cloth - zip off window):

How do you do before retracting the top? <span style="font-weight: bold">Do you open the window-zipper</span>? Any other good tips to avoid damaging the plastic window?

Thanks for your help...!!

Chris

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag

I've been reading this post and it is prompting me to make my own tonneau cover. Mind you I have an everflex with a heavy brass zipper that has recently split at the zipper. It has always been a tight fit. For restoration originality we are locked into covers that meet the original specs, but that is not what I want in this case. I want a cover I can put on in a minute, unzip half easily for single person driving, and fold up into a smaller size than the everflex will fold. I have chosen a heavy cordura fabric. It will stretch enough to fit cold , and hopefully not flop around when hot. I'm going to use the heaviest duty plastic zipper I can find, and I might (horror of horrors) try some mil spec velcro. I use the tonneau only in the summer when I've removed the top, but want to park it on the street somewhere. If I get lazy, I have a friend who runs a parachute loft and has the materials and is a way better seamster than I'll ever be.