• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Timing set on newly installed BP270 cam

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Tom,

Yes and no. I say no only because octane will vary somewhat from load to load, so setting with a light, starting at 10-12BTDC will get you where you need to be for break in and the tweaking can be done from there.

tomshobby

Yoda
Hi Dennis,
Misread your post, but slight differences when dialing in your cam can make a timing difference, also it can change the power range some amount from the bottom end to the top end. Add that to the way your dizzy is set up and your carb settings and other ways your engine is set up will change your final setting.

It has been so long since I even checked my timing that I don't even remember what it is. If you want I can go out tomorrow and warm it up and check to see where it is.

Otherwise what Paul says should work pretty good.

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Hey Neighbor!
I have the same cam in my TR3 and set the timing at 12 degrees and I feel that the motor runs great at that degree.
Dan

JeffS

Jedi Trainee
The distributor will dictate your base timing setting. If the car runs best with 34 degrees of total timing (that'll be pretty close, although anywhere from 32-37 is a very effective range) then you need to subtract the advance that the distributor offers. That can be anywhere from 20-30 degrees, which leaves the balance as your timing setting at idle. Once you figure out the best timing setting for power (advance it until you start to hear pinging under load, then retard it 2 degrees), Then dial in your carbs. After this is when you'll want to do a dyno session, otherwise you'll waste a LOT of money covering the same issues. On the dyno you can adjust the carbs even closer, maybe try a different timing setting or 2, but that alone can eat up $150.

tomshobby

Yoda
Hi Jeff, over 12,000 miles on the dizzy you did for me. Couldn't be happier with it. I dropped it in my fresh engine and moved it slightly. The engine came to life for the first time. Put a light on and set the timing and away I went.
Thinking I might do some fine tuning finally, but it has been running soooooo good!

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Jeff,

Due to the 18" of global warming and the associated icy and salted streets and roadways, my brand new shiny distributor is awaiting a dry, sunny spring installation.

I'm also behind on the new fuel pump(s) rebuilding project due to some home remodeling efforts, but I'll be posting some pictures of your fine polishing work and the new improved fuel pump kits soon. Along with updating my fuel pump rebuilding page as well.

The new "RED" rotor that I installed several months ago when you first got them is working just fine too! This was my thread from back in November, which was the first to show the new product. I don't have a lot of miles on since then, but they will last for a long, long time, I'm sure.

Thanks again for all of your efforts!

Original Red Rotor post from November

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
When you set up a new camshaft,find some body who knows how to use a degree wheel and watch him carefully and hand him cold drinks...often the wheel will show that the stock gears are not very close to spec.The adjustable gear is the trick but is hard to find for the tr2/4s.You will also find that some cams are poorly ground and should be rejected....good luck! but do it right once!!
MD(mad dog)