• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Stuck, Rusted Fastner {Bolt/Nut} removal

AweMan

Jedi Knight
Stuck, Rusted Fastner {Bolt/Nut} removal

Hi my name is Kerry I have been a welder for many yesars, In the course of those years I have removed many stuck/rusted fastners from various items from castings to sheetmetal. During the course of browsing this forum I have seen many articles on how to`s for removing stuck/rusted bolts and nuts.
The first thing I will say is try a good quality penetrating oil let it stand for a while so it can do it`s job then try to remove the fastner. If possible and accessable use a wire brush to clean the threads that are protruding out of the nut on the bolt to be removed.
If this method fails:
A sharp blow with a hammer and punch will sometimes loosen up any rust/corrosion preventing the nut or bolt from turning. Use you own judgement on how hard you can strike the affected fastner without damaging the surrounding area on bolts you want to strike them directly on the head, a flat blow is essential. With nuts strike them on the flats all sides if possible again wirebrush any protruding threads you can access first and foremost.
If this method fails:
Here I will discuss the use of heat
Shetmetal is mild steel and using heat is not an issue on mild steel where structural integrety is an issue although you must keep in mind that distortion is. So keeping the heat on the fastner and trying to minimise heating the surrounding area is essential. An oxy/accetylene set is the best heat source for this purpose, use as small a tip as possible A 000 { Triple ought} is ideal for small fastners up to half inch heat the bolt/nut to cherry red do not liqufy them. Let the fastner cool to dark {No red} then try to remove them while still hot. You may need to make several attempte reheating the fastner each time. Remember the fastner is hot and its structural integrety is not the same as it was cold it is softer therefore it can twist of easily. It should come out fairly easy.
A word about castings {cast Iron} and heat. You can use heat to remove stuck fastners from castings but it is ESSENTIAL that you do not overheat the casting itself, this can cause it to crack and become useless until repaired by a professional welder. Once you are done working the stuck fastner out of a casting you need to prevent the casting from cooling too rapidly. a sandbox works well {cover the casting in dry warm sand} or even wraping it in a blanket but by no means let cold air blow directly on it.
Cast aluminum:
Not particularly supseptible to cracking because of heat but will begin melting before you very eyes if you are not very careful. A temp guage/stick is essential. Aluminum becomes liquid at around 1,800 degrees {you will never see red as you heat aluminum} there fore 400 to 900 degrees is a good area to maintain when working a stuck fastner out of aluminum castings even though you get the fastner out there is a very good chance that the threads in the casting will be destroyed {Just the nature of the beast} electrolisis and corrosion bond the steel to the aluminum and this bond usually destroys the threads. Threads on cast aluminum can be repaired using the helicoil method or the area can be welded in solid and re drilled and re taped. as long as the casting itself isn`t distorted from excessive heat.
Heat and hardened surfaces:
Parts like crankshafts, camshafts, rocker arms, flywheels, pressure plates or any part that is made out of a hardened material should under no circumstances be heated to more that 250 to 300 degrees if these parts are heated to the point that you can see a scale {carbon} precipitating out of the metal then the structural integrity is compromised. A hardened part in this condition is rendered useless. Again you can use heat to remove a stuck fastner but remember that you need to minimise the heat affected area {the surrounding area of said fastner} use a small tip maintain the heat on the fastner bring it to cherry red a wet rag can be used on the surrounding area to try to control the heat affected zone. let it cool so there is no red showing then try the removal. Remember heat the blot/nut not the part of course some residual heat will precipitate into the part but not enough to render it useless if you are careful.
Heat can not destroy the integrity of mild steel. Unless you of course melt it or distort it to the point of destruction. Heat can not destroy the integrity of aluminum. Unless you of course melt it or distort it to the point of destruction. Heat CAN AND WILL destroy the integrity of hardened steel if you heat it to the point it precipitates it`s carbon content. The carbon content is what makes hardened steel hard.
Good luck on fastner removal
P.S. chances are that if your car has sat for thirty years {or even less} in the elements then you will be resolved to using heat to remove the fastners, at least most of them
Remember: it is always a good idea to clean up any threads after you have removed the fastner before instaling a new fastner, this can be acomplished by using a thread chaser of the correct size and thread type or even a tap will work but you have to be careful using a tap not to start it cross threaded.
I hope this article at least helps someone.
Kerry

Country flag
Re: Stuck, Rusted Fastner {Bolt/Nut} removal

Thanks for that.

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

Hi Kerry and welcome aboard.
Thanks for the detailed advice on using heat to get out stuck bolts you are right at some point we are all going to need it!

I would suggest however that this be copied the "Knowledge Base" that way it won't get lost.
Yisrael

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Excellent, just excellent.

SunbeamTom

Wish you had posted this before I took my exhaust manifold the the shop... 35$ later to remove a broken stud and a striped one... Thanks for the details...

Tom J

OP
AweMan

AweMan

Jedi Knight

Tom:
I did not go into how to remove a broken stud or bolt in the previous article. But this can be acomplished by a competent welder.
Here is how:
If the stud/bolt is broken off above the surface the previous article described method might work.
But here is what I myself would do instead. If the stud/bolt is above the surface I would place a nut with a thread diameter bigger than the stud, over the stud or bolt head then using a welder I would weld this nut onto the broken stud or bolt. The welding does two things, it provides a good surface to get a socket or wrench on to provide for turning the stud/bolt and the residual heat from welding will have the same affect on the fastner as in the article above.
If the stud/ bolt is at the surface or below it {this is very tricky}
First off I would try to build the stud/bolt up to or above the surface {the trick is not to weld the stud/ bolt to what you are trying to remove it from} A T.I.G. welder works best for this task.
Once you have built the stud/broken bolt up to at least the surface place a flat washer {a fairly thick one} directly over the stud, the center hole on this washer needs to be as close to the same diameter as the original stud/bolt is. Then weld it to the stud or bolt. The next step is to then weld on a nut {for say a 3/8 bolt I would use a 1/2 in. nut} after it turns from red to dark try to turn it out while it is still hot but not red.
I have had to make several attempts at one bolt or stud in the past but I have never failed to get one out using this process. AGAIN it is essential that you do not weld the stud or bolt to the item from which you are trying to remove it.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag

Excellent Article. Would you be intrested in adding it to the Knowlage base? Either ask Basil for permission to post in there or get someone who already has said permission to enter it in there for you. (like me) And give you credit in the article.
It's great to see a set of "rules" for using heat on fasteners. I've used torches to remove a lot of rusted and broken bolts-studs over the years, but never saw anything that told me if what I was doing was bad or not. (seems I was ok all along)
What about quenching? dosen't that have a hardening effect on mild steel? It always seemed if I quenched a bolt to try and "shock" it loose, then I never was able to drill it after that.

OP
AweMan

AweMan

Jedi Knight

Banjo:
Quenching mild steel will have some {very slight} effect on it, but generaly not enough to worry about. Quenching a bolt on the other hand will make them harder. The reason is they are made out of high carbon steel, high carbon steel is heated to a specific temprature and then drawn down, {A slow reduction of heat over a specified time period} to attain the desired level of hardness. When you heat a bolt then quickly quench it what happens is you freeze the carbon molecules in the steel in a granular pattern that creates the highest potential hardness. Making it impossible to drill short of having a diamond tiped drill bit. As far as posting in the knoledge base I did email Basil about that very subject but got no response {I may have done it improperly or the email may have been mistaken for spam, in any case yes you have my permission to paste/post any article I write in the knoledge base. As for credit, to me thats a non issue. I post for the bennefit of others. Not to glorify myself in any way.
Oh B.T.W.
I would like to take this oppertunity to speak about coatings on bolts and nuts that we might be heating up.
Some fastners are coated with a zink coating and some with Cadmium when heating these coated fastners we need to be especialy careful of any fumes produced in the process. Cadmium is especialy toxic when in vapor form. Cadmium can usualy {but not always} be identified by the gold or bronse color of the fastner. When heating or welding these fastners make sure that you are in a well ventalated area use a fan to blow the fumes away from yourself do not breathe these fumes under any circumstances they are a carsinogin {cancer causing agent}. Further more any and all fumes caused by the welding process should be avoided at all costs.
By all means please protect yourselves.
Kerry

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag

Some times just the heat from a mig welder will release a stuck stud or nut.
As always, an excellent read, Kerry!
Cheers, David.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag

Excellent... Bit late tonight, but I should be able to get it loaded in there within a day or two. I'd like to combine both your original post, and your explination of "quenching" if that's ok.
That makes sense to me. I knew It made bolts and studs impossible to drill, but never had a valid explination.
Good warning too. Thanks.

OP
AweMan

AweMan

Jedi Knight

Post away Banjo any format you deem suitable. *SMILE*. You may even omit some of the non essential info if you like.
Correct the mis spelled words hahahahahahah.
Kerry

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag

OK Kerry. It's officially a KB article. go to the KB and navigate to Automotive Tec Tips, then General Tec tips, then Restoration tec tips.
Take a look and see what you think. If there's anything that bugs ya send me a PM and it can and WILL be edited.
Thanks for the excellent information.
Ben

OP
AweMan

AweMan

Jedi Knight

Ben:
Excelent work! Very well done! No complaints what so ever.
Kerry