• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Straightening Steel Rims

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'd like to use original steel rims on my 56 TR3 restoration. I have a number of rims, but most are not exactly straight. Anyone have experience (good or bad) with having rims straightened? Are they as strong or are they weakened significantly by the straightening process. There is a local shop that has the equipment to do the work. Any advice/suggestions? Cheers, Mike

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
Mike , I have a lot of steel TR3 rims. I'm sure I could spin four or five and check them if you were interested. contact me off list if you are interested. Kevin

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
mgedit said:
I'd like to use original steel rims on my 56 TR3 restoration. I have a number of rims, but most are not exactly straight. Anyone have experience (good or bad) with having rims straightened? Are they as strong or are they weakened significantly by the straightening process. There is a local shop that has the equipment to do the work. Any advice/suggestions? Cheers, Mike

My experience: if you want to drive the car, don't try to straighten bent wheels and drive on them. If it's just the lip of the rim (where weights are mounted), maybe ... but if the center of the wheel is bent, straightening it will weaken the steel. Others here have said the same thing.

I took three original steels (TR3) up to Boston for professional straightening, as each was bent out of true and wobbled when driven.

No improvement whatsoever - but they did look better. Bought four new steel wheels, put the same tires on them - wobble completely disappeared.

Just my two cents.
Tom

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
:iagree:

Even "as strong" may not be strong enough. They are known for cracking in the center. ISTR one of the "Comp Prep" books even suggests welding an extra piece in to help reinforce them.

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
NutmegCT said:
mgedit said:
Bought four new steel wheels, put the same tires on them - wobble completely disappeared.

Tom: I was under the impression that these wheels have not been available for many years/decades!

Do you mean you bought NOS wheels or is someone making these again?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Sorry. I should have said four new "Minilite-style" wheels from Moss Motors.

7922.jpg

Tom

Tosh

Jedi Trainee
Sent an out of round steel TR6 wheel to Wheel Collision Center some time back.
They returned it with a note stating that they were unable to straighten the wheel.
Bought a set of new Kønigs and never looked back.
Keep on.

OP
mgedit

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks for the replies. The shop I talked to discarded the majority of the wheels I brought to him as the hub part was damaged or out of round. He told me those could not be restored. We were able to find 6 or so that he can work with. He is going to take the best 5 and straighten them. The shop has been in business since the 40s and has the machine they use to do the work (as well as an operator) dates back to the 50s. I had a good feeling about the shop and the proprietor during my visit and and going to see how this works out. If it is a success, I'll be happy. If not, experience gained. Other TR3 owners have told me of their success with having rims repaired and they have driven many happy miles on the rims. Guess only time (and finishing the restoration) will tell. Cheers, Mike

OP
mgedit

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Forgot to add, that those wheels look very nice Tom. Are those the 5.5 inch wheels? If so, what tire size are you using and did you have any fitting issues? Cheers, Mike

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Hi Mike. Yep, those are the 5.5 wheels; I think they were on special for $169 each at Moss a couple years ago when I bought them. I got Kumho 758 tires (165/80-15), about $45 each. Really like them.

Tom

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Mike - How did the straightening go ? How much per wheel ? I saw recently that someone had 4 rims for sale for $500.00 total and he didn't say if they were straight or bent.

OP
mgedit

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Sorry missed your post Don. I've given up on trying to straighten the rims I have. Only 2 of the 15 could be salvaged. I will use one for the spare and have bought alloy minilite-style wheels instead. Price to straighten is quoted as $35 per wheel, but he charged me less as we could not find 4 that could be used. It is just not worth $500 to experiment with steel wheels from another source. My experience suggests the likelihood of having usable wheels is pretty low. Cheers, Mike