• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

straightening out a bumper

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
Ok, I know I should take care of my fuel delivery problems first, but this is bugging me to no end. Ever since my car was last towed (to get the clutch done), the bonnet will not close or open right/easily. The bonnet keeps hitting the top edge of the rubber bumper. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but the flatbed that hauled my car away used the front and rear tow eyelets that are mounted to the bumpers. While the rear bumper seems fine, the front bumper is blatantly more cock-eyed than it was before the tow. The rear part of the front bumper that ends at the wheel wells is dipped down, significantly.

I looked under the front bumper this past weekend to see if I could figure out what's going on with it. I found that the mounts on the chassis are now bent towards the rear at the top and bent towards the front at the bottom in a shape that vaguely reminds me of an S.

Sort of like this:
<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
\
<-Rear | Front->
\
</pre><hr />

Is there a simple way to straighten the mounts out, and possibly strengthen them to avoid this happening again?

Thanks

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
Odd. Going from memory I think the mounting plate has gussets supporting the top and the bottom of the plate so it shouldn't of bent like.

I would try the very simple first and make sure the bumper attachment is on tight.

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I dunno what the deal is, but it is bent plain as day. I guess I'll just have to fiddle with it, and coax the mount points back into straightness with a BFH.

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
only 4? it sorta looked like I had 3 nuts/bolts per side. It still should be easy though. I was also noticing that there appears to be about 0 adjustments for lining up the bumper.

Steve_S

Yoda
Don't forget about the guy who offered you the free bumper back on the Memorial Day drive. He said it was in better shape than yours.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'd be for removing the bumper, thought it was four bolts per side (shows how good my memory is). Straighten the mounts and replace the bumper with the "free" one offered!!!

...then find a better towing outfit ~ahead~ of the necessity to do that again... and mebbe a talk with the owner of the last outfit with regard to his "hired help" and their ability to chase off repeat business!

...with photos of the evident damage.

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
Stewart - yer prolly right. I only looked at it to see why it was crooked.

Steve_S - I'm drawing a blank here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Was it the guy that had done the CB conversion to his 78?

Doc - I would if I were really irritated about it, but I'm not. It's not like the brake lines were broken, or the chassis got serious twisted or anything. It's only a couple hours of work... Besides, with a little luck on my side I won't need to call for a tow truck again for a long long time, and by then I'll have much better towing coverage with AAA. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Gosh, Rob: Your "Type-B" is really showing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
eh... I'm just along for the ride... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sounds like me about 6 years ago... Brand new Honda ATV got stolen from my yard (they had to cut a chain, and even took the combo lock with them).... My buddy at the time was way more upset about it than me. I was just like, Oh, well... and then walked back inside and called the cops (I had gone out to install a new set of aluminum bars, when I noticed it was gone). I only had it for about 4-5 months... just paid it off last year for whoever enjoyed it besides me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

What type personality is that?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
Well, what can I say. You were right Stewart. Only two bolts per side, and my description of the shape of the mounts wasn't 100% correct either. However, the bolt holes on the mount were bent forwards on both the top and bottom bolts with the bottom bolt holes pulled forward a little more than the top ones.

I dropped the front bumper, and the front valence since the bumper was already off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I took the opportunity to bang my valence back into something that resembles straightness. It was severly parking curb mangled by the POs. I broke a cheap #3 philips drive trying to remove the screws. Luckily I had access to a good one that held up to the torque needed to break the screws free.

A 3 pound hammer got the bent bumper mount points back into straightness. After surveying the "damage" I'd determined that the bumper had been tweaked since I got the car. Though, it did become worse from the towing. It's on straight now. However, I'm not sure I like how big the gap is between the bumper and hood/wings. I noticed I had 2 shims/spacers per side. I might try removing one pair at a later date, but for now, I'm glad I can open/close the bonnet without pinching my fingers anymore, and the trailing edges of the bumper no longer appear to be "sagging". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Since the bonnet was up, I took some time to make some minor adjustments. I reset my idle to about 600-650RPMs. Added a bit more of my green foam to the top of the radiator support to give me a make shift seal all the way across between the radiator support and bonnet. It's not the prettiest sight up there, but I have noticed an improvement (however small it may be) in air flow through the radiator at idle, since stuffing the gap with this foam. I also replaced the thrmostat with another 160deg model.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
If you ever need your "B" towed again and I say that with strong reservations, make sure that the tow truck has a cradle lift. It slides up to the tires and then a rear bar is attached and then lifts the whole front or rear end by suporting the tires. This type of unit won't damage anything. Most modern tow trucks have this type of lift. A roll off truck can also be used but if not careful you can damage the valance on the initial pull. PJ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Steve_S

Yoda
Flatbeds are the safest way, but if the truck driver knows anything about anything, he will have a set of ramps or wood blocks for low vehicles.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I would only use a flatbed. When I had mine picked up I told them to bring a flatbed. I was there and hooked it up to the chains myself. The guy told me he had never done one of these so I said "Let me do this".
His truck & chains, but after that statement he had no problems letting me do it.
There actually looks like there was some damage under the front from chains already.
I hooked it up the the rear axle to pull it up but you gotta watch out for brake lines & such.

August

Freshman Member
i agree with vping. I'd only have a flat bed tow it. Any good tow truck person is goin to have boards or ramps for gettin low cars up safely. also make sure they pull from the right places, I'd say front "A" arms or rear axle. being carefull of brake lines. Have them secure it to the truck the same way, or wheel straps if your at all concerned about pulling something outta wack.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Herself's B has been damaged at some point in it's history by a brutal towing/tie-down. GGRRRRRR...

If a driver gets his nose outta joint over allowing me to secure my cars, he loses the job. I've always been able to find a good outfit ahead of time because I've worked as a wrench and could "interview" them ahead of time! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif