• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Speedometer Reset

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I bought a used, but working speedometer for my TR-2. It has alot more miles then my car. Is there a easy way to set the mileage back?

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
The legalities aside, try here starting post #66

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Where is post #66 ?
Here ya go.....

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
My reset button works fine. What I want to know is how can I set the miles shown backwards to where my old one shows.

\ 49,606 back to 17, 500
Back way before it was actually a crime, I reset a few clocks for friends and myself.
The only way to do it, without the time it would take to attach a drill, is to take the speedo cage apart.
Most cages are not just screwed together but have the parts crimped or folded.
If that is a problem, you can just pry out the number drums, and spin the offending digits.
FYI, I believe it is now a Fed offense to even open a speedometer unless licensed to do so.
It might even be so for me to give the advice I just posted.

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks Steve. Will it hurt the mechanics if you spin it backwards with a drill?
Probably not at normal drill speeds, but it will take years.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
The Jaeger gages will not roll backwards by driving in reverse or spinning the cable backwards. They use a ratchet that only allows the numbers to go forward...even in reverse. Ferris Bueller learned the same thing trying to run back the Dad's Ferrari odometer, LOL.

Red...you have to take the number barrel apart and re-assemble it to the mileage you want. The way to to do that starts in post #66. You will have to read it to understand how to break down and reassemble the barrell...and the entire speedo must come apart to GET to the barrell. So, although the post seems like a lot of extraneous garbage, you need to understand it all to git-ur-done. There is no short cut...the whole gage has to come apart.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
When you guys refer to "Posts" How do you access the Posts? #4 #60 Where are these posts??
Look at the upper right of this post and you will see that it is post #16.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
How do I access Post #66? Where is it?
Well now. This explains a whole lot of why you have never understood what I have sent to you over the years!! I put a LOT of work into those old restoration posts, and Photobucket still makes me pay every spring to keep the photos current. Glad you finally understand how to access them. Once you have read the post, we will be happy to answer any questions you still have.

ed_h

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I can't speak for all US States, but rolling an odometer back is not illegal in my State, and in a couple of others i'm familiar with. When you sell a car in these States, in the paperwork somewhere, you have to answer a question as to whether the odometer reading is accurate for the car.

After all, it's no different than selling a car that's had its speedometer replaced at some point in its life.

Ed

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I'm pretty sure it is illegal in all states. Once the car passes 60+ years, though, I don't think there is much interest in prosecuting for it. Here in Texas, the title application has a block for "odometer exceeds the mechanical limits of the car". We always check that on collectibles, and I think it pretty much means the car is too old to worry about the odometer reading. In Red's case, if anyone gets huffy about the odometer change, he just has to say it was necessary to repair the speedo. The key is to not attempt to lie about the car's mileage.

Last edited: