• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Speedometer Fluctuation

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hello,

BJ8 with overdrive.

Recently rebuild engine so I sent the speedometer out to have the odometer zeroed out. Informed them it works fine and I only need the odometer rolled back. They said they will not do that unless they rebuild the unit.

Not sure if it matters, but when I got the speedo back the first time, the needle did not move, but the odometer did.
I sent it back and they fixed that...sort of ?

When I got it back the second time I found if fluctuates/bounces between the range of 0 to 30-40 then smooths out.

I replaced the original UK cable with a new moss cable from Taiwan, no improvement. Both cables (new/old), the flange to the end of the shaft that goes into the speedometer is 3/8". I have it finger tight.

I replaced the original angle drive brass/copper sleeve, with a Moss which has a silver sleeve. No improvement. I have both the screw collar to the tranny and screw collar to cable finger tight. The tranny adapter is taught enough so with some finger force I can change angle.

I've removed the speedometer from the dash and had it on my lap when driving, so the cable had a smooth arc, no difference.

It fluctuates/bounces back and forth about 5mph on the gauge. Example, 0-5, then 5-10, 10-15 etc until I reach about 30-40 mph, then it's smooth.

Is that normal, some fluctuation at low mph's?

Could the pinion assembly be the cause?
Is it the speedometer and need to send it back a third time? I did notice when I grab the cable about 2" out the back of the speedometer and move it side to side it moves the speedometer face. Maybe normal, but I'm focused now on everything.

Thank you in advance.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Check the routing of your Speedo cable and adjust it to see if the fluctuations increase or decrease.

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
West Valley Instrument in Reseda Ca.

I contacted them about this issue. They said return the speedometer, with the cable and angle drive. They will look into it.
My concern, I gave them a non problem speedo, they charged me $230 for a rebuild when I only wanted the odometer rolled back. I get it back, no working needle. I get it back second time, needle fluctuates and the face moves when I move the cable in the back. Now I'm sending it back 3rd time? Don't they check it thoroughly before returning to the customer?

After these issues, I started looking into other repair palaces I may have to use if they continue down this path.

I'd suggest using Nisonger Instruments in NY

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I'd suggest using Nisonger Instruments in NY

This is the only guaranteed expert I know even Reid should know that-Keoke

Country flag
O/T, maybe, but I've always thought 'rolling back' a speedo is illegal, even if it's not done for fraudulent reasons. Is there a loophole I'm missing, like a statute of limitations?

I'm not a Boy Scout, I'm just surprised a speedo shop would do it. But, I AM genuinely annoyed when someone advertises 'odometer reading XXX,XXX,' unless it's accompanied with 'actual mileage unknown.'

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
For the sake of balance there is also Mo-ma Manufacturing in New Mexico. I haven't dealt with them in a while but they did my speedometer and tach when I finished my restoration and I have been very pleased with both. This winter I'll be sending my speed meter to them or Nisonger to have the gearing changed to account for the differential gear set, Toyota 5 speed and non standard tire size that have rendered the speedometer moot.

Woops, didn't see your post above Reid before I hit send.....

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Just had a conversation with Nisonger, in case I needed to send it to them. He said his shop is under water because of the Hurricane and not taking on any work. He recommended I use West Valley Instrument in Reseda Ca. Seems the owner used to work at Nisonger.

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
O/T, maybe, but I've always thought 'rolling back' a speedo is illegal, even if it's not done for fraudulent reasons. Is there a loophole I'm missing, like a statute of limitations?

I'm not a Boy Scout, I'm just surprised a speedo shop would do it. But, I AM genuinely annoyed when someone advertises 'odometer reading XXX,XXX,' unless it's accompanied with 'actual mileage unknown.'
I asked both West Valley and Nisonger if it's ok to rollback the odometer when doing a rebuild or restoration, and both said it's ok, not illegal. When I sell the car I will explain, I don't know what was repaired/replaced by the previous owners, that the person I bought it from did a restoration and rolled back the odometer on X date. I keep records of the date/odometer reading for every repair or replacement of parts I've done. I have documented the date/milage of when I rolled the odometer back. So when I sell it, I can honesty only provide the milage I've accumulated as the current custodian. I wonder many classic cars have the original odometer reading with documented repair/odometer readings. Best scenario is a one owner with accurate records.

Country flag
OK, thanks for the info. I guess, after a certain point, for a decades-old car mileage is irrelevant; nothing that I know of built in the last 10 years or so has mechanical speedos anyway (possibly easier to change an electronic; likely an 'app' somewhere).

Also, if the fluctuation is 'rhythmic;' e.g. a blip at regular intervals, proportional to speed, is usually caused by a cracked speedo or odo gear.

BobHaskell

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Nisongers sent me a video of my speedometer on their test bench. Here's a link to it on pCloud.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I think that Mo and Ma went their separate ways some years ago and have heard that while Mo and Ma were a good act together Mo's work has suffered without her.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I asked both West Valley and Nisonger if it's ok to rollback the odometer when doing a rebuild or restoration, and both said it's ok, not illegal. When I sell the car I will explain, I don't know what was repaired/replaced by the previous owners, that the person I bought it from did a restoration and rolled back the odometer on X date. I keep records of the date/odometer reading for every repair or replacement of parts I've done. I have documented the date/milage of when I rolled the odometer back. So when I sell it, I can honesty only provide the milage I've accumulated as the current custodian. I wonder many classic cars have the original odometer reading with documented repair/odometer readings. Best scenario is a one owner with accurate records.
TH :
Yes it is illegal

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
3's a charm. The 3rd time I sent it back, I asked to speak to Morris. He said he would look into it and got back to me saying something about addressing the jewels. Got it back and now it works correctly.