• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Speedometer needle jumping

davidk

Jedi Trainee
I have recently installed a TRF speedometer cable. The needle is jumping, especially at low speeds. It didn't do this before the new cable was installed. I think the cable needs to be lubricated. I've read past posts on the subject, but I don't recall what lubricant should be used. Any suggestions? Any other possible causes? Thanks for the help! David K.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I think it is more likely the cable is not installed tightly in one of the ends. Try to reinstall each again. I think this was a problem in the past.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I had the same problem w/ a TRF tach cable; I had flipped the ends of the cable....

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
check the recommended cable length going into the speedo. On the TR4, I think it is 3/8" (can't remember if that is in the manual, or web info, or I just made it up). My replacement cable was too long and needed to be ground down a bit. You may have the same issue.

Randy

T

Tinster

Ditto here with my new TRF speedo cable.
I took it out and made sure both drive ends were
well seated before I tightened down the fastener
threads.

Jumping around cured!

d

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
tdskip said:
davidk said:
I think the cable needs to be lubricated.

The TR8 speedometer did this and I ignored it, and the cable snapped from a lack of lubriction. Doh!

My 8 does the same thing,only at freeway speeds.
So where is the guide to lubing the cable?

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
... and make sure there are no tight bends in the cable.

TR4

Jedi Knight
For lubricating:
I have used WD-40 with success but read that graphite is better.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
IMO, MoS2 (molybdenum disulphide or moly for short) is even better than graphite. Either liquid or powder will work fine, but powder is somewhat less messy to apply (and less expensive). Take the center cable out and rub the powder (or spray the liquid) directly onto the length of the core, then reinsert it in the outer housing.

skucera

In high school auto shop we used to lube speedo cables with lithium grease. Later at an MG club tech session, the mechanic holding the session mentioned that he used to get special Ford speedometer lube which was, I think (forgive the fading memory from 20 years ago), made mostly of molybdenum disulphide. Since my Midget was the guinea pig for the tech session, it got both its speedo and tach cables lubed with the stuff, and those needles were rock steady for the remaining two years that I owned the car.

Scott

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
David, I hope your satisfied I tried to hook up the speedo end of the cable today and noticed my brand new but not recent purchased cabled end was all buggered up.I find you responsible some how! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif
All you out there if I replace the inside can I leave the trans end in?

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My replacement cable from TRF did not work when I put it in. Comparing it to the broken one that used to work, I saw that the speedo cable end was a little shorter to the plastic tab. After asking TRF about it, then checking the spec, and us verifying that the one they sent was correct, it started working. Hasn't stopped. But this past week, it started bouncing at about 20mph.

I'm going to try that lube when I get a chance, but I'm sort of afraid to break it. I took it out and replaced it 3 or 5 times, and it didn't start working until I filled up at a gas station -basically unexplained.

I think the old one was from VB, and they have a litle more cable between the plastic tab and the end that inserts into the speedo.

Jer

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
They didn't know what "MoS2 (molybdenum disulphide or moly for short)" was at the parts store. I have some white lithium in a spray can, and some "Engine Assembly Lube with Moly-ghraphite" which is better for the speedometer cable?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Try asking for "Dri Slide" at the local gun shop.

Given only the choice of white lithium or engine assembly lube; I'd go for the white lithium. Assembly lube is not optimized for long life.

Sounds to me like your cable is not protruding far enough at one end or the other, and finally just barely caught. You might be able to solve the problem by determining which end is short, and sliding the inner cable through the plastic retaining collar at the speedo head end to compensate. If you take the speedo end loose and can turn the inner cable in your fingers, it needs to go towards the transmission (which is apparently a common problem from what I've heard). If the head end is short, then the speedo/odo won't move when you take the gearbox end loose and turn the cable with your fingers.

PS, McMaster-Carr has a wide variety of 'moly' lubricants, and their service is downright sudden. If you order right now, you might get it by tomorrow afternoon.
https://www.mcmaster.com/

Telly

Country flag
My tach and speedo had the same problem and it had nothing to do with the cable! I think this is a common mistake to assume the problem is in the cable when it is actually in the tach or speedo itself.

With that said, replacing the cable is inexpensive to try when trouble shooting but don't overlook the instruments, they do seize up!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif
The instruments can even be the cause of broken cables. When my latest Stag came to me, the PO had just replaced the speedo cable & angle drive and driven around the block to check that the speedo worked. I was less than 30 miles down the road before the angle drive broke again ... the speedo head would turn when cool, but bind tightly once it got hot.