• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spare tire question

T

Tinster

A simple question. I wish to remove the
spare tire from my trunk so that I have more
space to carry breakdown repair parts and tools.

Pep Boys sells a product in a can with a name like
Fix-a-Flat or something. Does anyone have any experience
with similar products? It would be very helpful to
gain the extra trunk space. Has anyone else removed
their spare tire?

thanks,

dale
:savewave:

donbmw

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Most of the these work ok for tubeless tires. For tube tires the may not work.

Don

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
Try to clean the inside of your tire after youve used that product (not fun)!

TR4

Jedi Knight
I did not gain a lot of space but I have a 13" wheel as my spare and not the standard 15". It fits the splined hub so works sort of like todays little donut supplied with cars. It came off a Spitfire and I got it along with a new Michelin tire for $25 from Ebay. Works for me.

BobSands

Jedi Hopeful
Hey Dale,...This is a HOT topic over on the Miata page, since the new ones don't come with a spare.
There's a lot of talk about the major tire places Discount, and TireRack refusing to touch a tire that has been fixed with fix-a-flat.
I've been "halfway" looking for a spacesaver spare that might work.
Goodluck,...Bob

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
Dale, get a luggage rack.

Or, carry a spare inner tube and a AAA card to tow you to the first service station or tire store that can fix your flat or sell you a new "cheap" tire.

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
One word: Trailer!

I've read somewhere -- probably here (?) -- that the space saver spare from Saab fits TRs and, of course, takes up less space. It should get you from scene-of-puncture to a place that can properly repair the tire. Maybe tires are better now, or something. I used to get the occasional flat and, when I worked at a gas station (the '60s) I surely fixed enough of 'em -- but it's been easily thirty years since I punctured a tire. I'm sure the spare in my Eurovan is flat. I haven't even looked at it since I bought the car two years ago.

OP
G

Yes (removed the spare that is).
I have towing insurance instead.

I hope I didn't just jinx myself...

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Moseso said:
I've read somewhere -- probably here (?) -- that the space saver spare from Saab fits TRs
Could be, but there is more to "fits" than simply bolt circle. The compact spare I found (probably from a Nissan Maxima, but not sure) had the right circle; and would fit fine on the back, but would not clear the calipers up front.

However, a 15" "compact spare" tire will mount onto a stock TR3 rim, which should fit a TR6 but leave more room in the trunk.

"Fix-a-Flat" will definitely not work in all cases, even for tubeless tires. But I've never had anyone refuse to <span style="font-weight: bold">dismount </span>a tire because of it. And I wouldn't blame anyone that didn't want to <span style="font-weight: bold">repair </span>a tire after Fix-a-Flat was used, since it makes a horrible mess inside the tire that has to be cleaned up in order to do a proper repair. I consider replacing both the tire and stem a given after using Fix-a-flat.

Towing insurance is kind of worthless when you're up a mountain, or out in the desert, where there's no cell phone coverage ... and I'll bet there's no coverage at that sign on I-10 "Next Services 104 miles"
grin.gif

achtungeveryone

Jedi Hopeful
fix a flat is a heck of a tool when it works (usually won't seal bead leaks as noted on the can).
My last two ford trucks came with a can of the stuff...don't know if it was factory or a dealer add on.
If I'm out on the road with a flat I'm going for the can first. In my younger days I "permantly fixed" a few tires this way!

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
The other alternative is to carry one of those tire repair kit, along with a small hand or electric air pump. I've repaired several tires on the road using this method rather then mounting the baloney spare even though I had one. I would rather repair the tire using this method then using the Fix-A-Flat.

Edit: I would opt for the bicycle hand pump rather then the electric. It's just about failsafe, and it's MUCH FASTER then most small electrics.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Trying to think of all the times I've had flat tires on an LBC ... can't think of a single occasion when either Fix-a-Flat or the plug kit (which I have but keep at home) would have helped.

Typical is the last flat I had on the TR. I turned a little short coming out of a Denny's driveway at the start of a club run, and ran over a broken corner of the curb. It punched a half-dollar size hole in the sidewall.

Then one of the ancient tires on the Stag turned into a giant flap wheel on the freeway. Few days later, the spare more or less fell to bits sitting in a parking lot (during a club meeting). I actually tried Fix-a-flat on it, but it didn't last long enough to get home.

I have had a few punctures that could have been repaired thus, but they have always been slow leaks where I could limp to a filling station, fill the tire and have someone else fix it (or do it myself when I got home).

OP
T

Tinster

Thanks a bunch!!

I also have driven hundreds of thousands of miles
in the past 20 years with only one single flat tire
on the roadways.

That is why I asked the question. Tons of breakdowns
in my TR6 but never a flat tire. I need the space for
tools and roadside repair parts.

d

OP
T

Tinster

TR6BILL said:
Uh, Dale, why do you need a spare tire anyway? :whistle:

<span style="color: #993300">May a pox of facial warts envelop you and
your entire family!! :lol: </span>

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Come to think of it, if you keep putting parts in that trunk, you will be using the tape measure to determine how far you'll be able to actually drive it with all of that weight back there!!

I was in CT today and saw a really neat little two wheel trailer that looked like a little car being towed by a couple on a motorcycle. It had tail lamps and everything, but the tongue for the hitch looked very low.

Kind of like these, but $4,000 will pay a LOT of towing bills.

Motorcycle Trailer

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Man, if I gotta tow a trailer just to keep a car running, I'm selling it. Taking a long trip is one thing.., maybe.... but not for an island that you can cross in an afternoon.

IMO there's also no need to carry 17 of everything in your trunk. I carry a fan belt, water, an extra can oil, duct tape, black tape, fuses, jumper cables, a spare tire/jack, a really nice 15 pc. rolled wrench set, a multi-head screw driver, channel locks and an adjustable wrench. AND most importantly; a AAA card and mobile phone.

It all fits in one medium sized tool bag in the truck. I have enough room left for clothes for a weekend.