• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Silly Spare Tire Strap Question

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I realize that this is a really trivial question, but in trying to put the details back together properly,I'm having a bit of a problem. My BJ8 was missing the spare tire hold down rod when I got it, but had (what I thought was) the leather strap. So I got the rod, but now find that the strap is way too short to meet the rod. My first reaction is that I must have the wrong strap. And I called a vendor about a new one and am awaiting a response as to the length of the strap.

But then, I saw a strap on ebay (happened to be from the same vendor). Why he had time to put it on eBay but didn't have time to call me is another matter. But it appears from the eBay photo that it is the same length as the one I already have, and that my strap was correct. So, this still leaves me with the problem, and I have no clue what;s wrong.

So, would it be possible for someone to post a photo of the rod/strap assembly, including where the strap attaches to the trunk, so I can try to figure out why I'm having this problem? I know that there are a million Healey photos floating around, but it's these stupid little detail photos, like one showing how the end of furflex is finished off, that you can never find. Any help would be greatly appreciated. As always.

shg,moss has a diagram in"rear body fittings" section,itll give you a good idea how its done,also after our conversation yesterday,i thought id post for you how i do mine,ck att. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Attachments

• 152302-MVC-020S.JPG
    152302-MVC-020S.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 135

BlueRidge1

Jedi Warrior
I seen the price on those straps!! Looks like I'll be using a dog collar or a belt... THEY NEED TO GET REAL! Bob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

OP
SHG

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
uh, was that the original configuration there, Anthony? Are you sure it was a woven belt, not croc?

I want you to know that you give me hope.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
The length of the strap depends on where the bottom anchor (staple) is located. See if attached pic helps.
D

Attachments

• 152319-DSC00764.JPG
    152319-DSC00764.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 128
Country flag
SHG's car is a BJ8 with the staple on the floor. The strap, bar and staple are all shown in Anderson & Moment's book, page 179. The light brown solid strap is correct for a BJ8, the woven one is not. The straps are long enough for there to be excess to tighten up.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That is correct Jim, the BJ8 cars require a longer strap as the staple is located on the boot floor. I too am amased at the price /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif. Bet you could have one made at a leather shop for less.---Keoke--- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

OH! By the way a BJ8 stap is 33" long. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

OP
SHG

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
So it looks from Dave's photo that the strap that was in my BJ8 is from an earlier car. Although Moss shows the strap as being the same for everything from a BN4 to BJ8, al for the very low price of $48.95 (plus shipping!). It's a great strap too. I'm going out to the garage now to see if I can stretch it another 20 inches.

shg,when i got my car in may,i went through the boxes the po.gave me, i actualy had the stap sitting on the rim of a garbage can,forgot what it was for and allmost toused it,now i see to replace its over $50.00 yaaaaaaw! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif

OP
SHG

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
if it's sitting on the garbage can, you don't need it. Send it over here. I'll give you $100 in good advice. keep the change. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Anyway, you probably need the little strap, while I need the big strap. This should require no explanation. We can trade? I'll throw in some drum sticks.

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Found an old brown belt in my closet that works pretty good. It sure beat spending $50 for one that would have been too short for my BJ8.

shg,not to get personal but how big is yours?i dont think youll be able to read the ruler in the attachment but it says 38 1/2",probably gained the extra 1/2"from playing with it to much,i just noticed the buckle looks a little funky,might not be an orig.ill have to search for a photo of what the buckle should look like,perhaps we can get a volume discount if we buy a couple of em,ya right!you know the crok-ah-gadda might not look to bad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 152411-MVC-021S.JPG
    152411-MVC-021S.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 107
OP
SHG

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
well, I've got a really nice buckle on mine, but mine can only dream of being 38 1/2". Your buddy has one on ebay. https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4596809999&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT
Peculiar how this shows up the day after I ask him about one? But would you think he'd tell me? Anyway, his looks about the same as mine, including the length, so I'm thinking it's going to be way short as well.

I put one of my old ranger belts on there for now, but it's just a little too long. Looks pretty good otherwise. I'll put a pic on here so you can decide for yourself. So you like that croc idea? I think we should get the volume discount. Plus, we could start a trend.

zblu

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Well SHG, I'm about to change my Great Danes leather collar out, would you like the old one?, its about 35mm wide, about 3mm thick, has a buckle, about 40" long, comes complete with aged patina look! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

OP
SHG

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Actually, you are a genius! After reading your post, I thought to myself, I wonder what the difference is between a dog collar and the strap. So I went on the internet and checked out dog collars, and I found some that look exactly like the strap, the same buckle, good harness leather. And they cost around $5. I just need to measure the length that's needed, and make sure that it's correct. Great idea!

shg,i just looked at the picture that Dave Russell was kind enough to post,it proves the one i got from the po.was a farce!you and your "trivial question",you had to ask didnt you? now i have to get me one, youll see how serious i can be about gettin my healey parts!im pullin all the stops on this one!and i dont care what the cost!.by the way,ya think the concourse judges will mind if my new one says "GUCCI" on it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

OP
SHG

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I believe they take a point off for GUCCI. But Louis Vuitton gets you an extra half point. Seriously, you have to check out these dog collars. They are on the money! I bet that's where Don Healey got them to begin with. Anybody know if he had a dog?

https://www.morrco.com/leatdogcol1p.html