• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Silicon valve cover gasket

TR6BILL

Luke Skywalker
Does anyone know if J.M.Wagner is still making those silicon valve cover gaskets to fit the stock steel valve cover for the TR6? I cannot get a reply from his email. Does anyone have a new one laying around they can part with or that I can buy from them? I PMed one forum member who has lots of spares. Thought I would go to the rest of the forum to check.

tomshobby

Yoda
I don't have one Bill but it is worth your trouble if you can find one.

Also, JM is not always easy to get in touch with. I once had his phone number but cannot find it. I think I once gave it to Paul (Brosky). You might check with him.

OP
T

TR6BILL

Luke Skywalker
Thanks, Tom. That member that I PMed was Brosky. The only person that I know that carries 3 spare distributors! Surely he would have a spare...... :smile:

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Justin is still making gaskets - I just picked up one for my TR4 about 2 weeks ago from a local club member who took advantage of his "buy 4 get 1 free" offer.

Randy

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha Bill,

I recently bought one on e-bay for my TR3 and was really pleased with it. It fit well on the stock valve cover and when installed stood about 1/8" proud of the valve cover. Excellent seal against the head with no leaks.

He also makes them for TR6 stock valve covers (along with several other LBCs)and here is a link to a current offering on e-bay:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Triumph-T...sspagenameZWDVW

The buy it now price is $15 which is what my TR3 gasket cost.

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
Just bought from him on ebay. Very easy transaction.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
tomshobby said:
Also, JM is not always easy to get in touch with.
He recently resurfaced onto the local Triumph scene, so it might be worth trying again.

PeterK

Yoda
MGTF1250Dave said:
Aloha Bill,

I recently bought one on e-bay for my TR3 and was really pleased with it. It fit well on the stock valve cover and when installed stood about 1/8" proud of the valve cover. Excellent seal against the head with no leaks.

He also makes them for TR6 stock valve covers (along with several other LBCs)and here is a link to a current offering on e-bay:

The buy it now price is $15 which is what my TR3 gasket cost.

Those are NOT Justin Wagner's silicone gaskets. His are not flat but fitted to the inside lip of the valve cover so they do not move. Also cost more than $15. The ones on ebay are punch from flat sheet.

Justin's day job involves travel so be patient. https://www.jmwagnersales.com/

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
The "punched from flat sheet" ones appear to fit up on my after market aluminum valve cover. The aluminum valve cover does not have a ridge, lip or valley, just flat mating surface. I plan to "Glue it" to the cover and I hope it will seal. My plans don't all ways work out but for $15 its worth a try.

PeterK

Yoda
Good to know. One of mine has an alloy cover and I've been using cork. At very least, the silicone will last longer. Bit Justin's is still nicer :savewave: but he still hasn't got one done for alloy covers. He said there were too many size variables in making them fit.

Opa

Jedi Trainee
Steve's gasket is not flat cut.It is radiused to fit the valve cover and flat on the head side,at least mine was. Had mine for about two years IIRC no leaks. It does not have the stand up lip on the inside as the wagner gasket.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
MGTF1250Dave said:
Aloha Bill,

I recently bought one on e-bay for my TR3 and was really pleased with it. I

I hope I'm not speaking out of turn here, but I'm not sure the above eBay offering is from Justin. He's located in SoCal, and those are in Iowa. ISTR
Justin mentioning another seller on eBay; perhaps this is it...

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha All,

I'm sorry if I inferred that the silicone valve cover gaskets I referenced where made by J M Wagner, they are not. I have seen his product on his website and they look very substantial and seem to be a quality product.

The ones I referenced and bought are for stock steel valve covers and have a radius top to fit in the groove form into the valve cover. I held the gasket in the place in the valve cover using Permatex Indian Head Gasket Shellac Compound. The flat bottom of the gasket creates a good seal against the head.

It was my intention to offer Bill an alternate source for a silicone valve cover gasket for his stock steel valve cover.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Opa said:
Steve's gasket is not flat cut.It is radiused to fit the valve cover and flat on the head side,at least mine was.
They are still that way. They're plenty thick and you get a good seal with only finger tightening the valve cover nuts.

BobbyD

Jedi Knight
I've have one of Justin's first TR6 gaskets and the ones being sold on eBay ARE NOT Justin's. They may work but they don't even come close to the customized fit that Justin's offers. In almost 10 years mine has never leaked so much as a drop of oil and it's been on and off a half dozen times. So what we have is another great product and we can't get an answer from the source. A few months ago I emailed Justin about forum members complaining about his lack of response and heard back very quickly. Basically work & personal life takes priority, followed by Triumphs. It's a great product and I hope you get yours.....just keep emailing Justin.