• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Shark's new bloody grill

Bret

Yoda
So after my accident with the traffic cones - I've got pretty much everything back together again. But with a slightly different look.

untitled.jpg

So I know it ain't stock but what'd ya think?

Normally the horizontal grill pieces are supposed be black on early Porsche 928's, while later model years painted them body color. But in keeping with my shark's Intimidating persona I painted them bright RED. That along with my red calipers planed for later this month – this should give my black Porsche 928 a more menacing look.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
That's not a neon behind them is it, Bret?

Country flag
"Michael.....I don't think we're going to make the next corner, reduce speed and turn left, hard, NOW!" Points to those who get this one! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
tony barnhill said:
No Tony, you should know me better than that.

That's just a work (LED) light to the right out of picture, that I was using to point at the grill while I was mounting it.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Originally Posted By: tony barnhill

No Tony, you should know me better than that.

That's just a work (LED) light to the right out of picture, that I was using to point at the grill while I was mounting it. [/QUOTE]

WHEW!! Thought the son might be influencing you...hehehehe

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
hmmmmm... I think it could use some teeth /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Steve_S

Yoda
Personally I've never liked the whole "red accessories" thing. I'd paint it black or chrome it. But that's just my personal opinion.

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
Steve_S said:
Personally I've never liked the whole "red accessories" thing. I'd paint it black or chrome it. But that's just my personal opinion.
Actually I was looking to match the red 928 lettering (not stock either) on the rear and match the red calipers when I paint them (next week I hope).

windowtent2.jpg

But I'm going to let it ride for a while. If I get too much static over it - it's easy enough to repaint black.

BTW - couldn't crome them even if I wanted to - they're plastic (ABS?) aftermarket. Can't find the origenal aluminum units anymore. Besides don't think crome would look right on a 928.

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
Ya know thinking about the idea of “RED” accessories – I always thought one of the coolest things I ever saw was a triple black 1970 Challenger R/T with a 383ci that besides the chrome bumpers and trim the only pit of color was the dual “RED” snorkel (removable) hood scoop inserts.

Still regret not purchasing that car. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

saabmp3

Jedi Hopeful
Bret said:
Steve_S said:
But I'm going to let it ride for a while. If I get too much static over it - it's easy enough to repaint black.

BTW - couldn't crome them even if I wanted to - they're plastic (ABS?) aftermarket. Can't find the origenal aluminum units anymore. Besides don't think crome would look right on a 928.

Although not a huge fan of the red by itself, I like the idea of adding tasteful accents. I think the red in front with the red calipers and red 928 will make a nice look.

I thought that was neon as well and was about ready to give up on the shark progress.

Steve_S

Yoda
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]But I'm going to let it ride for a while. If I get too much static over it - it's easy enough to repaint black. [/QUOTE]
Don't rely too much on other people opinions. You have to like looking at the car yourself. You shouldn't care at all what others think!

I do like the red '928' badge. In my eye, it isn't a part of the car's styling. It's a separate piece along with the manufacturer's logo. I like the fact that the 'Porsche' and '928' are separated from one another, and red looks good against black.

I just never liked making things red just for the sake of making them red. Why show off that a car has brake calipers? Maybe I'm just getting old. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif I guess I don't like the red grill because it separates it from the rest of the front end, when in reality the pieces flow so nicely together.

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
Steve_S said:
I just never liked making things red just for the sake of making them red. Why show off that a car has brake calipers? Maybe I'm just getting old. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif I guess I don't like the red grill because it separates it from the rest of the front end, when in reality the pieces flow so nicely together.
Well the calipers where going to get a paint job no matter what. Mainly because they're old & tired looking. Admittedly if I had the original phone dial wheels you wouldn't be able to see'em. But I never liked them all that much and always considered them ugly.

Anyway, I choose red for the calipers because every other set I've seen - only the red doesn’t look tired. Besides red - I've seen them painted to match the body color, silver, gold, yellow and of course black. But of all of those choices red seems to work with just about any color Porsche and is widely popular in P-Car circles.

Whatever the case the current “rust” color /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif isn't a flattering color no matter where you come from or who yer talking to. So it just ain't going to cut it anymore.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
Bret said:
You could always get one of them "billet grill inserts" for a GMC (you know the thin horizontal aluminum grills people like putting on them) , cut it down to size, and fabricate the necessary hardware to mount it in place of the plastic you have.

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
Steve_S said:
And technically, you can chrome plastic. It's just a different process.
Not sure if'n ya'll've been follow'in my recent "issues" but I think I've got enough money fly'n out'a my arse with without chrome plating some ABS parts. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

saabmp3

Jedi Hopeful
Bret said:
Steve_S said:
Not sure if'n ya'll've been follow'in my recent "issues" but I think I've got enough money fly'n out'a my arse with without chrome plating some ABS parts. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Wait, Bret, I was under the impression that owning a Porsche is cheap. Sorta like owning a hyundai. Don't they all come with 100k warranties? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
saabmp3 said:
Bret said:
Steve_S said:

Wait, Bret, I was under the impression that owning a Porsche is cheap. Sorta like owning a hyundai. Don't they all come with 100k warranties? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif
Hmmm? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif Yes well, like my ol'grandpa used to always say "its better to be a smart *one* than a dumb one". /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
lol

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Yes well, like my ol'grandpa used to always say "its better to be a smart *one* than a dumb one". [/QUOTE]

Mine used to say it was "better to keep your mouth shut & have people think you might be stupid than to open it & have them know for sure". Wonder if there's an adage in there somewhere about the cars we drive?