• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB-GT Rebuilding the seats

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I've needed to do this since I bought the GT last summer. The seat covers are fine, but the seat bottom foam and diaphragms have had it. In addition, the driver's (right) seat base had cracked at some point, so the seats had been swapped side-to-side and didn't really fit properly. I'll put them back in the correct orientation once they're rebuilt.

When I bought the car the seller included a new set of seat bottom foams and diaphragms, so I have the parts in hand to get them sorted out (other than the small bit of welding I'll need done on the driver's frame).

Here's my first bit of progress, have the seats out and the passenger (left) seat frame stripped and ready for paint and assembly.

seats1_1.jpg

seats1_2.jpg

seats1_3.jpg

seats1_4.jpg

seats1_5.jpg

seats1_6.jpg

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Drew, are the seats the only thing holding the car up from driving? From what I see the cars looking great! How about a frontal view of the car! I'm assuming you'll have it ready by warm weather, right? PJ

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Here's the car. It runs really well, though I do have a few other small projects to sort out. Need to drop the gas tank and make sure it's not rotted (I have a spare), need to clean up the wiring to the fuel pump, and need to replace the clutch cable.

The car is rougher than the pics show, but it's a nice driver for now. It's not a long term keeper for me, just something to drive while I'm finishing up the Bugeye.

Shortly after I bought it:

bfd2014.jpg

After I swapped to disc wheels, after numerous flats with the wire wheels:

wheelsdone.jpg

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I always like the GTs and wouldn't mind owning one. Be a nice cold weather car. :encouragement: PJ

Flash_Harry

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Nice looking GT, Drew. I like ours, too, and it's not a bad warm-weather car, either! Cold down here is anything between 30 and 40 F.

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
Drew do you have a picture of the bottom rear of what would be the correct left side seat frame?

My roadster hasn't had near the mileage put on it since I've gotten the gt back on the road. I find that the gt is a lot less stressful to drive and the seating is a lot better than the roadster. With the extra height of the windshield the seat no longer needs to be cranked back to keep my head mostly under the top of the windshield.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Drew do you have a picture of the bottom rear of what would be the correct left side seat frame?

I'll get a pic for you, probably be a couple days before I can get out to the shop.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Seat pics as requested. As far as I know, this is the LEFT seat -- someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

From the top
lseatframe1.jpg

Rear edge (sorry about the finger choice for propping it up)
lseatframe2.jpg

Bottom
lseatframe3.jpg

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thank you Drew I think you just saved me some bucks. I thought my seat had a dpo repair to it but it looks like that's the way they came.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thank you Drew I think you just saved me some bucks. I thought my seat had a dpo repair to it but it looks like that's the way they came.

Funny, I was wondering the same thing with my seats. Nice to have confirmation all around. :thumbsup:

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Only because I restored the MGB for the wife, I installed Suffolk seats from the UK in it, as they are far more comfortable than the stock seats. That, carpeting the trunk and the new steering wheel are the three major changes I made to the car, everything else I put back to original. You would not believe the comfort difference the new seats make. PJ

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Very nice, Paul. I'm just going for basic functionality with this one. Those comfy seats do make me miss my '70 B though, that was a great touring car.

Did make some progress this weekend, got the passenger (LH) seat frame painted. Hope to have that seat rebuilt and back in the car later this week, then I can start on the driver's seat -- which needs some welding before I can put it back together.

framepaint.jpg

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Drew, Your very fortunate to have the new diaphragms and seat foams. That is quite a savings. Is that all you need to do to get it running? PJ

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Drew, Your very fortunate to have the new diaphragms and seat foams. That is quite a savings. Is that all you need to do to get it running? PJ

Pretty much. The car runs really well, very strong engine. Other than the seats I need to drop the gas tank and make sure it's okay (I have a spare tank on hand) and need to repair the wiring to the fuel pump, as it was bodged by a previous owner. Small things, but takes some time to get to it. Still, should have it all buttoned up before the we get to the driving season -- mid March is about the best you can hope for around here.

We're taking the BGT on a long weekend road trip with my car club in May, so I need to get everything sorted and well tested before then. If all goes smoothly I'll likely try and sell the car on after that trip so I can focus my time and resources on finishing up the Bugeye.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
LH passenger seat done!

Finally had some time to work on the GT seats this past weekend. Was able to finish up the passenger seat and get it all reassembled. Need to get some new bolts and I'll be able to get it reinstalled in the car. Stretching that rubber diaphragm is a bit of a pain to be sure, but it all went together fine in the end.

The original seat foams had some sort of burlap layer between the foam and the diaphragm -- as I didn't have any of that laying around (and the originals were quite shot) I used a bit of blue tarp instead.

lseat1.jpg

lseat2.jpg

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Cracked driver's frame

I also was able to get the driver (RH) seat bottom stripped down. I knew it had at least one crack, but also discovered that it is cracked in half at the back of the frame. I've got to get it to a friend who can weld to see if it's salvageable. I hope so, as I really don't want to have to track down another one.

rseat_crack1.jpg

rseat_crack2.jpg

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Re: Cracked driver's frame

Looking good, Drew!

If you do need another seat frame, I'd be willing to bet that Bob here on the forum (bob6bgt) has one.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks, Mickey. I'm going to see if the one I have can be repaired, but I'm not sure if it's too far gone. Bob's a good thought on a possible source for a replacement if needed.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Along with the "dreaded crack of doom" on the doors, the pre-'68 seat frames cracking was (is) not a rarity. They should be fine when re-welded, Drew.

And I guess you've done battle with those hooks on the seat bottoms already. Be aware they can BITE if ya have flesh in the wrong place while trying to install 'em.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Along with the "dreaded crack of doom" on the doors, the pre-'68 seat frames cracking was (is) not a rarity. They should be fine when re-welded, Drew.

And I guess you've done battle with those hooks on the seat bottoms already. Be aware they can BITE if ya have flesh in the wrong place while trying to install 'em.

Good to know on the seat frame. I have some friends local who can weld, so hopefully won't be too hard to sort.

And whoever designed that rubber diaphragm and hooks process should be boiled in motor oil. Geesh. Solution was a heat gun and needle-nosed pliers, and some patience. Took a couple tries through (and one torn diaphragm that I will have to replace) to get the job done.