• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rear springs BJ8

healeys4me

Just completed the job of replaceing leaf springs on my 67 Bj8. Boy, was that fun... These are new springs from England, and the took the ride hight up 3". Now on a BJ8, we already have plenty of wheel clearance, the added 3" looks like IM ready for Dakar. SO I am wondering if there are any member experences you can share. Will the springs settle in? Or is this wishful thinking,

Thanks

Country flag
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by healeys4me:
Just completed the job of replaceing leaf springs on my 67 Bj8. Boy, was that fun... These are new springs from England, and the took the ride hight up 3". Now on a BJ8, we already have plenty of wheel clearance, the added 3" looks like IM ready for Dakar. SO I am wondering if there are any member experences you can share. Will the springs settle in? Or is this wishful thinking,

Thanks
<hr></blockquote>

When I worked at Austin-Healey West in San Francisco back in the late 70s, I put a set of springs on a MKI BN7 (among others, of course). The new springs, when compared on the ground side by side with the old ones had more arc but we just thought it was because his springs were so weak. After installation, the car was quite high in the rear and on the test drive it appeared that the car had no rear suspension whatsoever. The ride was so harsh (like ZERO travel) and the car skittered around on every bump and turn of the (steering) wheel. We ordered another set of springs and they were the correct ones.

We tried that (first) new set of springs on a BJ8 not long after that (assuming they were intended for it) and had the same result. We never did figure out what they were for (ordered for the MKI originally).

I'd say you're in a similar situation if your car is sitting up that high. Have you driven it yet?

If the ride is acceptable, the eyes can be heated up (and allowed to sag) to lower the car. An old hot rodder's trick! Kind of like the current commercial for AutoZone with the `54 Chevy "tail dragger." I believe the period term was "shackled." I can't say that would be my own first choice though...

OP
H

healeys4me

The ride has improved, my old springs were really shot. If I can drop 1 or 2" of tire clearance, then IM a happy guy. Figure I will go looking for some logging trails and go for a ride. . .

V

vagt6

I did a total suspension rebuild on my GT6 recently with all new poly bushings, new leaf spring, new Carerra adjustable shocks and coil0=-vers and Monroe gas shocks in the rear.

When we finished, the car sat up like a Jeep CJ 7! Thankfully, it settled about 2 inches during the drive home (about 50 miles) and about another 2 inches over the past 300 miles.

Don't worry, it will settle down some after a few spirited drives.

Let us know how it goes.

waveandwen

Country flag
Leaf spring replacement on my BN4 is a project I have been putting off for some time now. I had one of the flat metal piece components of the leaf spring fall out at highway speed (boy was that fun; left the axle free to move back and forth). Have been driving with a metal shim in place of the missing piece, but ultimately need new springs.

My question is: Is this as huge a project is it seems? Want to replace the various related bushings at the same time. The old springs have a "toe bolt" throught the spring at the center of the arc. Moss shows this as unavailable. Do new springs require this bolt or is it perhaps included with new springs ? Best sources ?

Thanks, Dave.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
The toe bolt (spring center bolt) comes as part of a new spring. The head of this bolt is what keeps the axle brackets aligned with the springs. The rest of the bolt holds the spring leaves compressed.

The only hard part of spring replacement may be getting the old front spring eye bolts out. You sometimes have to cut the bolts with a "Sawzall" to remove things.
D

OP
H

healeys4me

If you have pieces falling from the springs the metal is past it's functional life span. Although it is a job nobody looks forward to, replacing the 30 to 40 year old metal is well worth the effort. Your car will ride and handle much better. Good luck