• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Re-Torquing my Head Gasket.......

G

I installed my newly ground head at 70 lbs. of torque using new ARP chrome-moly head bolts. After about 100 miles I re-torqued the head to 75 lbs. but think I should have done more. I now have about 300 more miles on the engine and I would like to try retorquing again to at least 80 lbs. I don't know if I am be paranoid or what but there seems to be a little wetness (can't tell if it is oil or coolant), very little, on the plug side of the head. I did lay a very fine bead of sealant around the coolant passages in this area only, not around the cylinders of course. What is the consensus with head bolt torque, considering the type of bolts I have, the fact that the head has been shaved (9.5:1 comp) and the fact that I am paranoid.

Bill

swift6

Yoda
If your paranoid, go ahead but most modern head gaskets, including new TR6 gaskets do not require re-torquing at all. At least that what manufacturers say. Though they also say it shouldn't hurt as long as you don't over torque and hurt your fasteners.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Bugeye58

Yoda
Bill, what did ARP recommend for the torque? And, what did you use for lube on the threads prior to torquing them? Torquing past the recommended value will stretch the fastener and actually cause the clamping force to be <u>less</u> than a properly installed bolt, or stud and nut combination.
Jeff

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
In December, after replacing the head for the second time (1976 was the first re install) I used the same old OEM studs washers and nuts. I am not recommending that practice, just that it has heldup under testing with 4 dyno runs at 5500 RPM so far. The replacement made in 1976 using the OEM bolts held well and were removed this December only because the engine was freshened up after 65K miles.

ALLAN

Jedi Warrior
Bill, There would not be any reason to go further, you have retorqued it to 75 that should do it, anymore leaks would probably indicate a small problem. Before my rebuild I was running 10.0--1, head torqued to 70 and no extra sealant and no leakage. However this time I did use some sealant like you did---hope I have no leakage

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
K TR2/3/3A Retorquing the Cylinder Head after the initial torquing.? Triumph 23
banjojambo TR2/3/3A TR3A Re-torquing Head Nuts Triumph 7
Bob_Spidell Re-torquing Head Nuts Austin Healey 4
T TR4/4A Question on re-torquing the head if it has leaked Triumph 18
T TR4/4A Any tips on re-torquing TR4a head now that 500 are on the rebuild Triumph 7
Michael Oritt Torquing/Retorquing cylinder head Racing 7
tahoe healey Head torquing Austin Healey 1
M Block threads stripped torquing head Triumph 16
G Re-torquing the head Triumph 1
G Torquing a Head Triumph 17
P Help with torquing bolts Restoration & Tools 3
steveg TR6 Loose wheel nuts after torquing Triumph 2
T TR2/3/3A Question on torquing nut on steering box rocker shaft Triumph 8
Got_All_4 Wedge TR7 drive train torquing Triumph 2
TulsaFred Torquing crankshaft bolt Spridgets 5
T lubing trans input shaft splines; torquing pressur Spridgets 2
JPSmit re-torquing question Spridgets 2
G Torquing rocker pedestal changed clearances Triumph 1
D Torquing Procedure Racing 16
K TR2/3/3A Getting a cylinder head skimmed for flatness.... Triumph 2
K TR2/3/3A Update on the head gasket repair......something is not right/ Triumph 5
K TR2/3/3A New head gasket is installed.....did a compression check motor cold. Triumph 4
J Spitfire Payen Head Gasket -which way up ? Triumph 6
R TR6 Classic british car mechanic on Hilton Head SC Triumph 0
K TR2/3/3A The steel head stud washers? Triumph 7
K TR2/3/3A Applying the Permatex copper gasket spray to the head gasket? Triumph 6
S Spitfire Cyl head coolant hose fitting Triumph 1
B TR6 Milling the head Triumph 5
sim 948 aluminum head gasket Spridgets 2
S TR2/3/3A Rebuilding a cylinder head Triumph 10
petnatcar Cylinder Head Nuts - Tightening Sequence Austin Healey 2
tahoe healey "Convertible" vs "Drop Head Coupe" Austin Healey 8
K TR2/3/3A head gasket repair wire Randall Triumph 1
K TR2/3/3A Checking a cylinder head with a straight edge to see if it's warped? Triumph 22
K TR2/3/3A Cylinder Head Bolt question.... Triumph 3
Celtic 77 MGB Mystery cylinder head attachment. MG 4
tinman58 TR2/3/3A Head Gasket Triumph 15
K TR2/3/3A Cylinder head removal and valve adjustment Triumph 2
K TR2/3/3A Update on the blown head gasket Triumph 33
K TR2/3/3A Bad news...blown head gasket??? Triumph 15
F TR2/3/3A head light buckets Triumph 3
D TR2/3/3A cylinder head oil plug bolt size Triumph 6
R Big Healey 100 Head Austin Healey 4
nichola TR6 Hot spot on cylinder head - 1973 TR6 Triumph 2
R For Sale 100 engine block w/head Austin Healey Classifieds 3
B Surprise screw head Restoration & Tools 0
D TR6 Gp 2 cam, head shaved ,shorter pushrods, with a rough idle Triumph 10
K TR2/3/3A Who sells steering wheel control head "Allen head'' grub screws? Triumph 5
B Head Re-Torque Austin Healey 8
AUSMHLY Reduced-Shank Cylinder Head Studs Austin Healey 0