• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Ratco cable help?

Crisis

Jedi Hopeful
I started to install my new Ratco Throttle Cable last night and I made a few observations which have me wondering if I'm doing it correctly. My car is a 73 TR6 with the stock carb setup (2-ZS). What I noticed that has me wondering is:
-when the firewall bracket is installed where instructed it is not directly in line with the carb bracket, front to back. The carb bracket is definately more outboard so that "lazy droop" angles a little towards the outside. I don't see a problem but in the pictures I've seen it looks front to back. Will this be a problem?
-I have the carb bracket mounted on the rear carb. When I attach the new bell fastener (the one from the end of the new cable) to the spring couplers it does not line up over top of the bracket. I would think that it would be better if the pulling force on the couplers would be directly over the cable mounted in the bracket. I hope I've explained that correctly. It looks to me from pictures that the cable end fastener should be directly over top of the bracket, correct? Have I done something wrong?
-the part that holds the bell fastener and the couplers and attaches to the throttle shafts is from the old mechanical linkage, right? The piece with the notch?
Thanks for any advice.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ya need to PM Brosky on this . Check his Website too.
Maybe even Bobby D.
Can't remember if he has one.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Crisis,

First, my site, but with triples. Ratco Cable Installation

No matter, still mounts to rear carb and pulls down on bell crank to move linkage.

The bracket on the firewall needs to be above the lever on the throttle linkage shaft, with the lever directly in the middle and all of the slot exposed in front.

Post some pics of yours and we'll work this out, after you see mine.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Crisis, where are you at with this project? Still need any help?

OP
C

Crisis

Jedi Hopeful
Paul, thanks for your help. Your web page is always of great assistance when doing anything on my car. Much appreciated!
I don't work on the car that fast or that often unfortunately, but I have finished the install. I'm going to try and post some pics. I already know that if I did this job again I could do it better. If I'm successful in loading these pics you'll see what I mean. In any event, it does move easily (more free movement) and appears to work ok. I'll know more when I start it up (need to finish installing the new SS exhaust).

OP
C

Crisis

Jedi Hopeful
Obviously my photo upload didn't work and I don't have the time to learn how. One day!
I guess I'll have to re-set my pedal to make sure I get WOT. Is there a procedure which makes it easy?
Thank you.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Actually, you shouldn't have to move your pedal at all. If you never moved the lever on the end of the shaft, the clevis slides over that and the other end of the cable goes to the throttle linkage. You should have full WOT at the bottom of the pedal travel. If not, adjust the two jam nuts to move the cable housing down and to allow the linkage to pull further down towards the bracket.

Let me know if this works for you or if you need more help or explanation. I'll keep checking back.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
IMG_2843.jpg

IMG_2844.jpg

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
It appears to me that bend looks a bit strained at the ferrule. Maybe it's the camera angle, but it should be dropping down and moving "lazily" away from the ferrule.

What I mean is a little more like this:

ratco 073 (Custom).jpg

OP
C

Crisis

Jedi Hopeful
IMG_2843.jpg
IMG_2844.jpg

Trying this pic/post thing again, but I think you're right Paul; the cable was a little strained at the ferrule. There was fair resistance when trying to accelerate smoothly-then it would jump as I put my foot down harder. I then bent the firewall bracket downward allowing the cable to have a gentler bend. This seems to have done the trick as the car accelerates smoothly and quickly. As I said before the car actually feels quicker! I may buy another cable anyway just to make sure it is done properly; but first I'm going to drive!

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Atta boy!! That should do it.

Nice job on the exhaust manifold too!