• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Pre-Ignition On TR3A

Quelch

Hi Everyone, I have just statically set the ignition timing on my TR3A with the radiator removed (3/8" BTDC on the crankshaft pulley mark) During the first road test the car was pinking really badly going up any sort of hill. I've retarded the timing 1 complete turn on the vernier (in increments of 1/4 turn) and I'm still getting a lot of pre-ignition noise. Does this sound normal & should I retard it even more? What fuel do these engines run on best? I am using regular gasoline, should I be using premium? For the record the car is fitted with a TR4A cylinder head with SU HS6 carbs, 86mm pistons and a Crane XR700 electronic ignition. The auto advance springs in the distributer are new (moss) and the vacuum line to the carbs is not leaking. Many thanks Neil.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Neil,

I have two 4-cylinder TRs. To the casual observer the engines are quite similar but I find the TR4 requires premium fuel and careful tuning to avoid ping/pink/knock. The TR3 OTOH seems like it could run on lamp oil. Nothing (even California off-brand sub-regular) causes it a problem.

I would try premium and see how that goes. Also, you don't mention whether you are using brand-name gas. Some may feel it does not matter but my perception is that some brands have superior additives (e.g. Shell & Chevron) that (among other benefits) reduce knock.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
...I'd crawl under and confirm the static timing...

Certainly take nothing for granted. On the TR that seemed so fussy I even confirmed the accuracy of the timing marks by making a piston stop out of an old spark plug...

PistonStop.jpg

and making a composite photo of the position of the mark as the piston hit the stop in each direction...

TDC.jpg

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Cool photo, Geo!

The owner's manual says "Use only Premium fuel of 95 octane or higher" and my TR3 seems happier with premium. YMMV, especially in Canada where you can buy real gasoline instead of the "reformulated" stuff they sell around here.

I also consider the 4 BTDC timing figure as just a starting point. From there, I find the point where I can just force the engine to ping (by getting it good and hot then lugging it in 4th gear) and back off from there by one division on the vernier. There is a comment in the owner's manual about backing off the timing if it pings with the stock setting.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I agree. The vernier adjustment may not be retarding the ignition enough to make a difference...until you get the distributor turned closer to begin with.

OP
Q

Quelch

Thanks everyone for your input. I'll try the premium gas and also the plug stop idea to establish how accurate the timing mark is. Many thanks again, Neil.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I suggest that Lukens has a great idea. In my case for my 1958 TR3A, I just rotate the distributor body till it starts and idles nicely. Then I warm it up and take it for a ride. If it pings in 4th gear when I stomp on it at 1500 RPM, I pull off the side of the road and adjust it till there is no more pinking or pinging. BTW, my TR is very original with 1991 cc and normal compression ratio. I run with Shell 87 or ESSO 87 octane because I have the least problem with these concerning ethanol. I also add 4 ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil of Lucas Upper Cylinder Lube every tankful of gas. Don Elliott, Original Owner, TS 27489 LO, Montreal - 55 years this May.