• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Project: Engine Pre-Oiler

Camshaft

Jedi Knight
I have a project to complete for my CAD Engineering class. I've decided on installing an engine pre-oiler, using this kit: https://autoenginelube.com/ What do y'all think? Any suggestions? Me and my partner are still in the planning stages, but we do have the go-ahead from our instructor.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Sound like an idea with a basis in logic. Are you using this kit as an idea, and engineering your own, or buying the kit and the install is the project?
Either way it's intresting.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Prelubing an engine is never a bad idea. And for a class project, it's a great idea. But is it a necessary item that should be installed on all engines? I have a 1986 4 cyl Ford Ranger pickup that I bought new in 86 for a shop service vehicle. It now has over 200 thousand miles on it. The oil pressure is only 5 lbs lower than when it was new. The engine has never been apart other than to replace the timing belt at 100 thousand miles. We still use this little truck around the place on occasion. It never fails to start. Best little 4 cyl engine I ever saw. It's oil, (Penzoil) and (Fram), oil filter are still changed every 3000 miles. PJ

OP
Camshaft

Camshaft

Jedi Knight
We had designed a system initially, but it was actually cheaper to buy the kit (and we're getting a nicer solenoid too). We're kind of on a tight deadline, as it stands now our previous project will not be completed in time, so we need to do something soon to get credit. This should do the trick.

Bugeye58 said:
Can anyone say Accusump?
Jeff

I don't guess so, guys, we have been using pre-oilers on the British race cars for 30 years, both electric and manual valve.

CraigFL

Jedi Trainee
Part of the important properties of oil is a factor called boundary layer lubrication or it's ability to lubricate just because it exists in the mechanical clearances of something like a crankshaft bearing. Generally, it is able to protect the bearing surfaces until oil pressure is regained. Obviously, the time it takes the oil pressure to build up is critical and changes as the engine gets older. Once the pressure builds up, you get a hydrodynamic layer which is what the crank "floats" on during regular operation.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
If your car has been sitting for a long time and you are worried about a "dry start", crank the engine over for 15 to 30 seconds (or so) with the ignition turned off, to build some oil pressure.

Then turn on the ignition and start the engine....sort of a "poor man's pre-oiler" (this is what I do on my race car).

Bugeye58

Yoda
Hap, back in '69 or '70, i made one using an accumulator from an F-100 fighter. I was racing at Riverside, and there seemed to be a lot of interest in it. Did I inadvertently start something?
Jeff

Steve_S

Yoda
Pre-oilers are very useful for cars that sit for long periods without being cranked over. A lot of damage can be caused in the few short seconds of nearly dry running. They seem to be especially popular in older cars with less sophisticated lubrication systems.

Rick_Stevens

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
Bugeye58 said:
Another unit that is helpful is the post oiler for turbos. It maintains oil to the unit during spooldown.
Jeff

Hey, Camshaft - Project # 2! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif

R.

OP
Camshaft

Camshaft

Jedi Knight
Rick_Stevens said:
Bugeye58 said:
Another unit that is helpful is the post oiler for turbos. It maintains oil to the unit during spooldown.
Jeff

Hey, Camshaft - Project # 2! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif

R.

I'd have to get a turbo first. Wait a second...idea brewing... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

OP
Camshaft

Camshaft

Jedi Knight
I ordered the kit today! It should be here next week. Once I begin the installation process I'll be able to figure out the length of the lines I need. Since installation will be via the oil cooler lines I plan on upgrading to stainless lines - I seem to recall Moss having various lengths availiable.