• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New wax technology

Frazier

Anyone tried this yet?

Teeny-weeny technology

NANOWAX EXCEEDS SALES GOALS, WOWS SCIENTISTS

By Risa Brim

HERALD-LEADER BUSINESS WRITER

A new Eagle One car wax launched in time for the summer carwash season is surpassing Valvoline's sales expectations and making waves in the scientific community.

Nanowax, on sale locally at Auto Zone, Advance Auto and O'Reilly Autoparts stores, was developed at the company's research lab in Lexington with a new technology based on using tiny particles to make huge breakthroughs in areas ranging from paint quality to cancer treatments to traffic lights.

Nanotechnology involves the manipulation of nanoscale particles, particles that are as small as 1/80,000 the width of a human hair, and the field requires a new understanding of science and engineering concepts.

Scientists nationwide hope to use the technology to develop new materials, concepts and devices. They are researching ways to make paints more durable and scratch resistant, to create devices that will allow doctors to detect minuscule cancer cells for earlier treatment, and to improve medicines so that doses can be smaller with fewer side effects.

In the case of Nanowax, the only one of its kind on the market, nanotechnology leads to a smoother, shinier finish with no white residue, said Fran Lockwood, senior vice president of technology at Valvoline.

"It takes the workout out of waxing," Lockwood said. "It's easy on and easy off. But perhaps one of the greatest advantages is that it fills in hairline scratches (swirl marks) and leaves a shinier, glossier finish."

The wax, which sells for about $10 and currently includes a free applicator and microfiber cloth, is getting praise from area car enthusiasts.

"It's really easy to put on,-real smooth," said Jon Tucker of JJ Caddy Collectible Motorcars, who first used the wax about three weeks ago. "It gives a great shine."

Doug Zalla, vice president of marketing for Eagle One, said Nanowax has surpassed sales goals for the year in its first few months on the market, although he declined to give specific sales figures. Eagle One is an appearance product brand owned by Valvoline, a division of Ashland.

The product is expected to help boost Eagle One sales this season.

Zalla said the overall market for waxes was soft last year, when parts of the nation experienced more precipitation than usual. "The market has rebounded this year for all appearance products," he said.

M. Pinar Menguc, a professor at the University of Kentucky College of Engineering, said the school recently initiated a nano-engineering certificate program designed to educate more students in the new research.

UK is one of the handful of schools offering undergraduate courses in nano-engineering. The certificate program allows students studying mechanical and electrical engineering and computer science and chemical and materials engineering to learn the fundamentals of nano-technology.

The school hopes to form a partnership with scientists from Ashland Inc. and Lexmark International Inc. to build the college's nanotechnology programs.

Five students are enrolled in the certification program for this fall, Menguc said. The program has increased student demand for nanotechnology courses. About 20 students are enrolled in a course Menguc will teach next semester.

Reach Risa Brim at (859) 231-3201 or 1-800-950-6497, Ext. 3201, or rbrim@herald-leader.com.

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Have not tried it but the article sounds like a lot of media hype prompted by the manufacturer. I could be very wrong of course but it just sounds that way.

Steve_S

Yoda
I have found the easier the wax is to apply, the quicker it wears out. I don't see how this wax would be any different. Still, the idea is intriguing.

Baxter

Jedi Trainee
Pure marketing hyperbole, doesn't follow the basic rules of journalism, obviously written by a PR person, and herald-leader is the PR wing of that organization. To get to the herald-leader paper, you have to go to kentucky.com (which is fairly typical for Knight-Ridder papers)

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
"This way to the Egress".

Good one Jeff! PT would be proud...

(I normally wax the Spridget with Pledge or whatever is around).

Bugeye58

Yoda
Pledge works very nicely, and it's easy to do in the pits. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
An added plus is the lemony freshness!!!
Jeff

OP
Frazier

Frazier

We have seen some good commentary here on some products such as Meguiar's NXT, for instance, which I have found informative. Thanks aerog, I've since used the product,with good results. I had hoped that someone might be familiar with this one. It was not my intention to spark a debate over the deficiencies of a small town newspaper.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I have a large quantity of different waxes and polishes, but I am always on the lookout for something that gives a better finish. When my present stocks are delpeted a little more I'll look out for this and give it a try.