• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Mk1 3000 screen/windshield fitting

Cooperman

Hi. I'm refitting my screen assembly (complete) and when I took it off a while back I recall there were some alloy packers/shims where the pillars bolt on inside the door shut.
1) Are these shims original?
2) Are they needed?
my concern is If I tighten the screen pillars with the screen assembly fitted to take up the gaps I guess it may stress and break the screen/windshield.
Thanks - Richard

RDKeysor

Jedi Trainee
Bronze
Country flag
Visit www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/servicing.html for a factory detailed illustration of every single part for the BN7 and BT7, plus many other related information. I checked that source, plate RH in the parts drawings, and there are no shims shown. However, I recently removed my windshield, and a handmade thin metal shim fell out on the right side. It clearly went between the inside door frame and the windshield pillar, and it had the two holes that match the bolt holes at that point. I'm interested in a detailed explanation of the windshield disassembly and replacement, preferably with illustrations. I have a couple of tiny flecks and what look like some diamond scratches in mine--right where the driver looks through. Of course that's where they would be!

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
The shims are there to prevent the glass windshield from cracking. I inadvertantly shifted the shims from the left side to the right side when reinstalling my windshield and it cracked over the winter. I replaced the glass and did not remember to move the shims. It cracked again in the same place. You are warned!

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I'm interested in a detailed explanation of the windshield disassembly and replacement, preferably with illustrations. I have a couple of tiny flecks and what look like some diamond scratches in mine--right where the driver looks through. Of course that's where they would be!
I ordered a replacement windshield from Moss. It was a very good fit. I ordered the thin rubber seals that surround the glass in the frame. The process begins with removing the windshield assembly from the car by removing the two bolts on each side of the frame accessed with the doors open. Then remove the screws holding the side frames from the window frame itself. Then the tricky part is getting the 8 tiny screws ( yes I ordered new ones also from Moss). I had to drill out most if not all of them. I also ordered new corner brackets that those screws screw into, because drilling out the screws ruins the threads in the brackets. I Scotch taped the thin rubber gaskets to the four sides of the glass before fitting to the frame. Reinstalled the new corner brackets with the new tiny screws. Reinstalled the side frame mounts. Used a razor blade to cut the excess thin rubbers gaskets protruding from the frame. And reinstalled the windshield assembly. It then cracked over the winter again because I installed the shims on the wrong side. I now have a new windshield awaiting my motivation to go through that again. Although I'm sure I won't need new tiny screws and brackets because they have only been in for a year, not 54 years.

Genos2

Jedi Trainee
I remember years ago, a well known glass shop broke 2 or 3 windshields on a friends Healey, then told him there was "something" wrong with the body. I asked him if they counted & replaced the shims in proper placement, What shims? Was the response. We took elsewhere, installed shims I had from a wrecked car, never had any more problems. Shims must be used! cheers

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
The BN4 I restored did not have any when I took the car apart but when I went to reinstall I saw the gaps between the mounts and the shroud so I measured and made shims to fit. They also help to hold in the furflex at the door jamb on the longbridge. No cracks at all. I think the factory probably put them as needed which is why they are not listed in any parts manual because they may not be needed on all cars.

RDKeysor

Jedi Trainee
Bronze
Country flag
I think this tells us we need to check the fit of the windscreen pillars when we fit a new glass. As mentioned, I found one handmade shim when I removed my windscreen to install a more secure tonneau stud next to the rear view mirror. That's another story. I reinstalled the windscreen, including the single shim, without giving a thought to the possibility that snugging down the two bolts on either side could crack the windscreen. I am surprised that a newly installed windscreen would crack if the need for shims was not recognized. We are now all forewarned to watch the pillar to shroud fit if we replace the glass. Appreciate TimK's explanation of that chore. It seems the usual sources offer a variety of bits and tools for windscreen installation, but his successful installation apparently required just the glass, gaskets, corner brackets and the tiny screws. The brackets and screws are surely a good investment against the inevitable problem TimK found with his windscreen.