• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Mitty anyone?

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Sounds like fun but 1700 miles (round trip) is too far to go for me (at least until I retire).

Monkeywrench

Jedi Trainee
I won't make it due to scheduling, but assuming everything goes well on the dyno tomorrow, the TR4 and crew will be there.

OP
Hap Waldrop
We have 56 cars in group 2, and in group 1 , the all Triumph feature group has about 50 cars, now my friends, is as we say in the South a "mess" of cars. I don't think I ever raced in a field that large before.

CurtisJ

Jedi Hopeful
I wouldn't miss this one. So many great cars!

Looks like <span style="text-decoration: underline">twelve</span> Triumph Spitfires are registered so far! That must be some kind of record.

I thought it might be fun to publish an article about a Spitfire as a warm-up for The Mitty. This particular example has a long history of SCCA racing in Georgia before moving up north. (I photographed it at Lime Rock last September.) Check it out here: <span style="text-decoration: underline">Richard Brown's 1964 Triumph Spitfire Racecar</span>

RichardBrown-Triumph-Spitfire-A.jpg
RichardBrown-Triumph-Spitfire-B.jpg

RichardBrown-Triumph-Spitfire-C.jpg
RichardBrown-Triumph-Spitfire-D.jpg

mike_h

I'll be at the Mitty with my 63 Spitfire. I just finished up the final adjustments this afternoon. Starting the racing season this early (normal start is Mothers Day weekend with SCCA at Pocono) is bad enough but running against 11 other spits in front of Kas Kastner and Bob Tullius, on a track I've never been to is making me raise my game a bit. Kind of reminds me of Freshman gym class when the Senior Jocks show up. I got through that. A few laps under my belt at RA and this weekend is going to memorable too (except in a good way).

I think I have everything set, new engine, rebuilt tranny, suspension freshened up, rejetted the carbs to better match the cam and expected RPM range.

The car never sounded better, famous last words.

BTW Curtis, nice job on Rick Brown's spit, he's a good guy. He was lapping me at Limerock that weekend, ended up getting his 1st podium finish on Saturday.

mike h
Red Spit #7

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Mike said:
The car never sounded better, famous last words.

That's kinda been my experience: They run best JUST before they grenade. :jester:

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I was at BritFest yesterday (it's near my house).
A local guy walked up and chatted with me about my car and then mentioned that he'd just come back from the Mitty (he was wearing a 2012 Mitty tee-shirt).

His total drive was something like 2000 miles.

In a TR6!

mike_h

Hi Nial, was it Dennis from NY? He's a past president of the Brits on the Hudson car club. He and his brother drove their cars to the Mitty on what sounded like some cool back roads. I did 1,900 miles towing the race car with the van on interstates, I bet their trip was more fun.

mike

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Hey Mike:

I didn't get his name but he said he had a great time....and no problems with the car.
This is the kind of the <span style="text-decoration: underline">epic</span> trip I would love to do, but I need a few more years until I retire.

How did you make out?

Mitty, Sebring, Mosport and VIR are on my bucket list.

Meanwhile, I'll be at the New Hampshire Vintage next weekend and the Jefferson 500 the week after.

mike_h

I finished the event with a working car. I had some teething problems on Friday, fresh engine rebuild, but my problem turned out to be an extra gasket in my carb from a winter jet change. it was blocking the flow of gas to one carb, would rev up in the pits but wouldn't pass enough gas under load to rev past 5,500 RPM. Fixed it Friday night and car wise the rest of the weekend was fun. I need more power, slowest Spitfire there. Going to work on it, I got some good ideas from the other Spit guys (and girls) there and still keep the engine SCCA H-Prod legal.

The event was great, Pics here besides a 33 car All Triumph race, they had groups with everything from vintage racing motorcycles to Indy and GTP cars. My first time at Road Atlanta, nice place, really reminds me of a state park, lots of green and rolling hills.

Enjoy your races, I'm going to be at Limerock Memorial Day weekend supporting the Trans Am race, back the next week with the HRG and the Jag club (Non SCCA event, still have openings) and then two more events in June at Limerock with the SCCA.

The wife's not going to be too happy but at least I'm close enough to the track to come home at night.

mike