• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB-GT MGB GT vs. Chevy Avalanch

Adam58

Jedi Hopeful
My little MGB GT saved my butt today! I was starting to cross a major intersection when I heard a siren. I looked to the left and saw a fire truck headed towards me. I stopped abruptly and glanced in my mirror. I only had time to think "he's going to hit me" before I was flat on my back.

The point of this?
Headrests are awesome! I had just added headrests and had the seats redone 2 months ago! Thank G-d! The seat latch broke so I was laid down in an instant but I don't think I did the head-bob thing that causes whiplash.

I'm really re-thinking driving a pre-headrest car, no matter how much I love doing it.

I finished driving through the insersection and pulled into a gas station. I thought the driver had taken off but he came in about a minute later and exchanged information.

I'm pretty sore but that little car took on an opponent twice his size and protected me.

Pictures of car on members pictures.

Safety at EVERY speed!

Adam

Bret

Yoda
Sorry to hear that. I hope you don't have any complications from the accident. I tried to look at the images but until Basil gives his approval only the thumbs can be seen.

But from what I can tell the damage to your car could’ve been much worse than it was.

Again I’m glade you’re not hurt too seriously.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
wow... glad to hear you're ok!

sturdy lil machines they are /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Steve_S

Yoda
Glad to hear you're ok. These are really tough little cars. I have a gallery full of photos of wrecked MGs and they all survived admirably considering what they went through.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Yes real glad and good to hear that you are OK. Nice to see that they can hold up to a shot to the rear. Does make you think about the headrest thing.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And what color will the car be when it gets its new paint?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Glad you're okay, Adam...little car did good.

Now for the facts:

The panel below the hatch that holds the backup lights can be bought new...used rear hatch but new emblems, new taillight & bumper setup (don't think it'll be needed although at least one of the overriders has moved).

When the adjuster does his job, make sure he looks at the gas tank closely...the rubber in the filler neck probably protected it but verify....you'll need another filler neck & gas cap at the least.

Make sure the body shop puts it on their body machine & that they pull it (several of us have the specs if you or they don't) as the quarters might be twisted (reason I say that is on the close-up photo, there appears to be a tiny 'kink' & paint crack).

When they total it, make them sell it back to you with a GOOD title.......they will want to total it based on normal book values unless you have proof of its value above that.....but, be prepared to hear them say "totalled".

You've got all our expertise on your side when you go into your antagonistic period with his insurance adjuster....this might be one to get your insurance company involved with instead of working dorectly with his company & tell them also that you want your car repaired! Have your adjuster along with you when his adjuster does his thing - &, if possible, get an MG expert near you to do an adjustment.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
All in all it does not seem horrible and the quarters seem OK.

Coincidentally one of the only pieces I saved from the GT that was rust free was that back panel. If your interested.... let me know.

IMG_7863.jpg

RickB

Yoda
I've saved up my thoughts about this, as it's one of those BTDT deals.

Back in 1984 I drove my primrose 1969 MGB-GT to Anchorage (from Seattle) to take a job and live there. After about 6 months I was ready for a break, and friends in LA had just had a baby so in preparation for a trip south I drove up to Eagle River to a mall where I had some custom photographic work done.

Leaving the mall I turned left out of the mall exit onto the highway. Looking right I saw the signal about 100 feet away was red, so I believed I was safe to enter the roadway.

What I didn't know was there was an "Alaskan Pickup Truck" coming quick up to that intersection. That type of pickup truck has a front bumper deck with tools mounted to it, big winch and other goodies one might need out in the bush.
So that driver ran the red light, at unknown speed and proceeded through the hatch of my GT. All I saw was headlights, then everything went dark - I actually lost my vision temporarily. When it came back I was back in the mall parking lot, fortunately still sitting on 4 tires and not flipped over.
The back of my car was smashed in up to the backs of the seats.

I climbed out of the car & stood up, the other driver had stopped on the highway and got out. He called out something like: "hey, are you OK?". I was of course completely disoriented, I said back to him: "yeah, I think I'm OK" - upon which he got back in his truck and took off!!!

Turns out I was not OK. Of course my car was totalled.
I had a first class seat on Ak Airlines to LA to catch in about 90 minutes. Amazingly I rolled the car into a parking slot and went in and called a friend to ask for a ride to the airport. I flew down to LA, when I got to my destination I immediately went to bed. When I woke up the next morning I couldn't move my head. X-rays show a small chip of bone in the front of my cervical spine thats just kind of sitting there detached. I have trouble in that area to this day, but if I sleep only on my side it doesn't tend to slip.

When I returned to AK I found my car had been stolen.
I checked with the Mall and the Police, nobody knew anything about it. It wasn't until this thread started and I got to thinking about it that the thought struck me that it was likely the guy who hit me that took the car - that way there would be no evidence.

Anyway, that was my last MGB. I bought the 69 MGC-GT a few months later.

OP
Adam58

Adam58

Jedi Hopeful
Hey Tony,

Thanks for all the support and practical advice! I saved and printed your post for handy reference when the adjuster arrives.

I've already thrown my insurance company for a loop when, in a 3-way call, their body shop declined the job. My claims rep had to go to their repair shop coordinator to find out what to do. They are sending an adjuster to the house. I will have all my receipts handy!

Adam

OP
Adam58

Adam58

Jedi Hopeful
Hi Rick,

I'm sorry to have brought back those memories. I can't imagine how that must have felt.

You are right to NOT ASSUME everything is okay right away. I think it's in our nature to protect ourselves by minimizing the situation but there are too many factors involved to make that determination on the spot.

So far I'm okay but I won't be signing any releases for a week or so.

Thanks and take care! Adam

OP
Adam58

Adam58

Jedi Hopeful
To Jack and the rest of you who I have not answered directly:

1. Thanks for the support!
2. I think I'm okay. No problems today.
3. Blaze Red (What everyone in the world, except the paint folks at Abington, call ORANGE!)

Adam

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
My favorite color!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Go find your own body shop - I'd never allow an insurance company to dictate where my car was repaired!...tell them you'll also get your own independent adjustment & that whether or not it's repaired at a specific shop is your call, not theirs! Then, find a shop that specializes in our cars, not quickie insurance repair jobs, and get them to do an estimate! Compare it to whatever their adjuster says - you'll probably find huge differences!

Now is not the time to be a nice guy!

OP
Adam58

Adam58

Jedi Hopeful
Good advice!

Anyone have any experience with MG-capable body shops in the San Fernando Valley area or a little beyond?

Adam

sqbsprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Adam, I have a good rust free hatch if you need one. It's a '72 I think. Just been holding it until someone needed one cheap.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Adam, I have a good rust free hatch if you need one. It's a '72 I think. Just been holding it until someone needed one cheap. [/QUOTE]

But, Adam, so far as the adjuster is concerned, give them a new Moss catalog or the Moss web site for parts pricing!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Adam, good to hear you are okay!

And good luck with the insurance companies, I can't imagine that will be much fun...

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
This is so sad but I am really intrested in hearing what the insurance folks do ot wiggle on this.