• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Lucar [bullet] connector crimp tool?

1965_MGB

Jedi Warrior
So I am going to do some repair work on my boot wiring, and I am going to make a call to British Wiring to get the correct wire colors, and some other stuff.

I plan on soldering all the connections, but when I can, I like to crimp as well as solder the connections. I am hoping that someone out there might know where I can get a crimper that will work with the bullet connectors like the one pictured below.

I know BW has one in the catalog, but I am hoping to find something a bit more economical in price. Okay, I'm just cheap.

Attachments

• 12189.jpg
    12189.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 2,341

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
If ya solder 'em you have no need of th' expensive tool.

And why spring for an inferior one so you can frustrate yourself later 'cause it doesn't work correctly?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
That's the tool I have....

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Any chance you could give us jaw dimensions ? Size of the hole & thicknesss of the jaw ?

Ron, you might ask around your local club members and see if someone has one they would loan to you. Some clubs even develop a club "tool crib" ...

CinneaghTR

Jedi Warrior
I sprung for the bullet crimping tool from British Wiring and it was WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!!! I am cheap and thought about searching for a cheaper one from an industrial source, but I figured the time spent was not worth it. Plus, the $$$ goes to a company dedicated to providing parts for LBCs.

That does not help, but if you do purchase the crimper from BW, it is a worthwhile investment.

Good luck!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
GreenOne said:
On the cheap side Harbor Freight has a few that are probably throw-away but for that price who cares.
Won't work for bullet connectors. The jaws are too wide, and most likely the opening is too large. The bullet connectors are crimped only in a small 'neck' area, not over the whole body as the HF crimpers are designed for.

OP
1965_MGB

1965_MGB

Jedi Warrior
I found out, I have a friend stationed in the UK, so I have sent word that I am looking for something, and hopefully he can get it back to me, along with a nice bottle of Scotch. :smile:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
1965_MGB said:
along with a nice bottle of Scotch. :smile:

I'm decidedly comin' down there now, Ron. :devilgrin:

IanF

Jedi Trainee
TR3driver said:
GreenOne said:
On the cheap side Harbor Freight has a few that are probably throw-away but for that price who cares.
Won't work for bullet connectors. The jaws are too wide, and most likely the opening is too large. The bullet connectors are crimped only in a small 'neck' area, not over the whole body as the HF crimpers are designed for.

Agreed. I searched hi and low for a bullet crimper when I rewired Baldrick. I would have bought one, but British Wiring didn't have it in stock and didn't know when they'd get them. Ended up borrowing one. If you have the ability to make dies that will fit into that H-F tool, you could probably sell a lot of them.

bill_young

Jedi Warrior
Crimping tools are specialty tools that are not cheap if good quality. I'd use solder as the factory did, but if you want to use the crimp on connectors then get the correct tool. Using the wrong crimping tool will only result in poor connections that either don't fit together well or have wires that are loose and may pull out. My profession for the past 30+ years has been in electronics repair and service and I deal with bad crimps often as a result of some other technician using the wrong tool for the job. The worst offenders are the guys who use a pair of pliers to crimp on a ring or spade connector instead of the correct tool which folds the sleeve in on itself to capture the wire. The cheap crimping pliers you see in most inexpensive kits are really about useless, don't crimp well and have poor leverage. Good crimping tools will run around $35 and up, but will pay for themselves in the long run. Lucas electrics have a bad enough reputation without us adding to them. ;-)

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Bill's correct...the tool is there - its even in this thread....but, you'll not find one "on the cheap"!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Anyone know the dimensions for the crimp jaws on the proper crimper ? Width of the jaw and the size of the opening? I assume it's a hexagonal opening.

Might be fun to make some ...