• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Separating Lucar Spade connector

lbcfan

Jedi Trainee
I have a new 70's vintage ammeter that has Lucar spade connectors. I have to reverse the wires since the directions weren't clear, but having pushed them on I can't get them off. It seems designed to go one way- the tab in the hole is not shaped to slip past when you pull the connection apart. I can't get a shim in because the gauge is in the way, and the vinyl boot prevents pressing on the tab.

I did try squeezing on the sides to bow the tab up, but it did not work.

Thanks for any tips. Frustrating...

Michael

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
That link will only work on your computer, not on the internet.
Do you have one for the internet?
Bill

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
I see the picture but don't remember ever having one of these that locked on.
Have you tried just prying it off with a common flat-blade screwdriver?
Bill

OP
L

lbcfan

Jedi Trainee
I have. The tab that should should resist pulling apart actually prevents it by sinking into a hole in the male tab- the harder you pull the deeper it goes, and no way to get to it. The directions tell you if the meter reads backwards, switch the connections. Wish I could...

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Re: Separating LucaS Spade connector

Billm said:
That link will only work on your computer, not on the internet.
Do you have one for the internet?
Bill

:lol:

I was hoping to make some crack about calling a spade a spade... but I don't have access to the internet, so I have no idea what you're all talking/writing about.

OP
L

lbcfan

Jedi Trainee
Bill-

Having given up on a logical means of removing the connectors I performed laproscopic surgery with an needle awl to lift each tiny locking tab. Connections are switched and the plastic "skin" is healing fine.

Thanks for responding so quickly.

Michael

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
I am glad that it ended well and that you didn't need to do surgery on your fingers, I was worried about the possibilities.
Bill