• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Lower Steering Column Bush - Where does it go and how?

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Sorry for all the questions, but someone else took this car apart and it's like a jigsaw puzzle putting it back together.

This is on the '57 BN4.

Today's the day to rebuild the steering box. Everything looks good in there, except for the oil seal, which I have.

The diagrams show a felt bush at the point where the steering shaft exits the steering box. I have a new Moss felt bush - a flat piece of white felt about 1/4 inch thick, but am wondering where to install it. Does it go into the bottom end of the tube that extends up to the steering wheel, between the steering shaft and the tube - tight against the bottom of the tube? That tube fits into the steering box about 1 1/2 inches.

What stops oil from leaking out between the tube and the steering box - it is not a tight fit.

Also, any tricks for installing the felt bush? How far does it go in, etc? And what oil do people use in the steering boxes, other than the special stuff sold for this? It seems that people use anything from 90 wt gear oil to #0 grease. Thoughts?

I also can't find a torque spec for the steering lever/pitman arm connection to the shaft coming from the steering box. I'm guessing about 150 ft lbs, but would appreciate an accurate number. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
As far as I can tell it wraps around the steering shaft inside the steering tube that goes up through the firewall. That bush should stop oil from traveling up the steering shaft and stay in the gear box. The tube should be a tight fit into the top of the box though.

OP
B

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
After reassembling the steering box, I tried to fit the felt bush into the bottom or the tube. It would fit in there, but not with enough room left over for the steering shaft. Obviously one also does not want to pack it in there so tightly that steering becomes restricted. Might it be necessary to split the felt bush, and only use a piece about 1/8 inch or so in thickness?

dh100m

hi go to ahspares steering, item 15 if this is it then it fit at the top of shaft to help center shaft in tube
hope this help just rebuilt mine bn2

OP
B

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
So, are you saying that no felt bush should go at the bottom of the steering tube, near where the tube connects to the steering box? If that is so, the top bearing in the steering box then is all that helps center the shaft, and the oil from the steering box can splash up into the area between the shaft and the tube. I wish that instructions and diagrams were clearer on this.

OP
B

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I've googled this in ten different ways and can't find a lot of info on these felt bushes. But they are listed on the vendor's parts diagrams, and they sell the parts. This is part #7 on page 58 of the Moss catalogue.

I did find this link to info on felt bushes for MGs- https://mgaguru.com/mgtech/steering/sr102a.htm - it seems that a lot of British cars used felt bushes at both the top and bottom of the steering column. The main problem with installing this in the Healey column seems to be that the bush is much too thick to fit - it is 1/4" or possibly 3/8" thick. The parts catalog shows it formed into a tubular shape, but it actually comes as a flat, fairly inflexible, thick piece of felt. Trimming it down considerably - maybe to 1/8" or less, and then soaking it with oil might be the answer??

OP
B

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks to all who chimed in on this topic. Part of the reason for my question was that there was no felt bush in place between the shaft and the tube, top or bottom. Installing a thinned down felt seal at the top should not be too tough a job. A bit of sealant where the tube enters the steering box should seal things there. Hoping that works well.

Regarding oil for the steering box, it seems that many have gone to a heavier oil than the 90 weight gear oil, or even to a light grease. Lucas makes some sticky goo that one adds to a worn engine to reduce oil consumption. I wonder how that would work in a steering box?

BoyRacer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The felt bush goes into the top of the steering tube. You will notice an indentation, or groove, around the top of the tube about 3 or 4 inches from the top. That prevents the felt bush from going further down into the tube. There should also be a rubber type of band around the steering shaft at the lower end of the shaft, a few inches above the steering box. These bands are easy to break or get lost. The usual suppliers now sell o-rings that they call anti-rattle bands, or something like that. The felt bush does not center the shaft. The bearings at the top and bottom of the worm gear secure the location of the steering shaft. The felt bush is more of a steady thing, but it also keeps the oil out of your lap if you park on a very steep incline.
As for torque on the pitman arm nut.... it is a tapered shaft so it does not take that much to get a good tight fit. Plus, it has a castellated nut with a cotter pin. It will not come loose! DO NOT TORQUE THIS NUT OR ANY OTHER NUT TO 150 ft. lbs. More failures are due to over tightening than under tightening.

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I think there is some confusion with terminology going on here. The only 'felt washer' that is used in and around the steering box area is actually called the 'dust excluder'. It sits between the oil seal and the steering lever.

Country flag
... DO NOT TORQUE THIS NUT OR ANY OTHER NUT TO 150 ft. lbs. More failures are due to over tightening than under tightening.

The pinion shaft nut is, however, supposed to be torqued to 1,680 in-lbs (140 ft-lbs). Never did find a torque spec for the crankshaft pulley/damper nut, but it's a similar-sized nut with a similar responsibility.