• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Looking to get new wheels any Pics?

jimstr4

Hmm.
I have rung around and no one seems to have the adapter to balance wire wheels here.
I could borrow one but then I have to find someone who knows what they are doing..
I'm tired of spending so much money on my car, this resto has taken 6 years and alot of money.
I've had the car for 33 years and these cars do need constant love and money spent on them.
I do all the mechanical work except reconditioning the motor and gearbox, I also do all the panelbeating excluding the welding in of new panels and it's still cost heaps.
I also need more welding done to sort out the ends of the new sills which aren't round enough plus the two front fenders need chopping up and rewelding.
Then it needs a final go at the panelbeating and spraypainting
So I think that I'll stick with the steel wheels for now.
The chrome wires or Minilites might come in a few years time.

Jims TR4.
Thankyou for everyones input.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Jimstr4
That's what I did. Finish the car drive it for a bunch of years and wait for the money tree to blossom and the leaves fall off. I remember those days when restoring my TR3 and 250. Finished the TR3 in 1983 and the TR250 in 2006. Both were 7 year projects. I can heart he frustration in your voice. Learned a lot of new skills every time I start a new project. My only wish was I wish the internet and you tube where there when I did the 3. You can learn to weld, rebuild your engine and transmission, do body work and even how to stray paint. When the money runs low or patients walk away and return when your refreshed.

I have a 69 TR6 in the garage that needs restored. Keep going back and forth if Im going to do it. The model I always wanted too and having a 69 is the most desirable. The 250 burnt me out on restorations and when the values when up on the 3s I decided to redo the 3 instead on starting on the 6. 3 ear project but no regrets. Got a lung condition now and should stay away from the dust but the longing for the car is still there. So stay focused on the project at hand. keep on trucking and that light he end of the tunal will get brighter. At almost every night before I go to bed I watch this video on you tube to keep me excited. Also I love this posted I made up from a quote I read on the TRF newsletter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FageCtKA0g

Attachments

• DrivernamedPar.jpg
    DrivernamedPar.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 54

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Ah, wheels... when I was a little guy I had a toy car with a couple sets of wheels (and tools) that could be changed. Maybe that's why I like a variety...

Sometimes the original steel road wheels in Spa White:

L6TA5pT.jpg

Other times 60-spoke painted wires (using a ¼" spacer on the longer studs):

qDV75Ca.jpg

And still other times with a set of period alloys from J. A. Pearce:

e6l5PPj.jpg

The great thing about wheels is 'no commitment' - you can always try something else later on.

...I have rung around and no one seems to have the adapter to balance wire wheels here...

Jim - I have always been able to get them balanced pretty good with a simple bubble balancer like this:

s-l300.jpg

With the splined hub inserted in the wheel the hub seems to do a good job of centering the wheel (grease the balancer cone so the wheel centers well, double-check by clocking the wheel to multiple orientations on the balancer).

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Kitty.JPGthe color is off on the low resolution . Think of Tangerine! I like the wheels. From MOSS. Much easier to keep clean.

Jerry

jimstr4

I love that Limerick and I enjoyed watching James May yet again.
I'm boxing on, all will come to fruition once the panelbeater rewelds the panels.
And yes a bubble balancer looks like a good tool to purchase.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I've seen the bubble balancer at Harbor Freight. Now going back and forth on the wheels. May put $ to restore my TR6