• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

looking for wheels

RickB

Yoda
I asked my family for new wheels for my Midget for my Birthday, guess who gets to do the legwork?

Please take a look at these:

https://portland.craigslist.org/yam/pts/1009635185.html

They are not right are they?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]<span style="font-weight: bold">Vintage 4 on 4inch wheels for Datsuns and such</span>
Panasport style old school wheels 4 on 4inch(100mm) with a set of worn out Yokohama's P205-60R13. Matched set, a few miles left on them but a couple down to wear bars. Have center caps and chrome lugnuts too. Off of my 510 Datsun[/QUOTE]

3o53p53lfZZZZZZZZZ91r5ef7d4b6769c11fe.jpg

Country flag
I think they will not fit if the were on a 510.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
I know the 4x100 isn't right, don't they have to be something like 4x101.5 ??

(Just looked it up, I guess it's 4x101.6)

Dadandson

Jedi Trainee
These wheels will be approximately 1/16" off. 100MM divide by 25.4= 3.937" or 3 15/16". I would check with Hap or Tony for wheels unless you are prepared to do some machining.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
kind of looking for something a little different, minilites, superlites, etc are nice but something a bit different would be nicer.
Seems like a difficult hunt ahead of me. I know there are some out there, just have to find them.

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The only wheels you're gonna find are Vintage. Revolution made a nice set but, so far as I know, went out of business a couple of years ago, just when I was ready. NOBODY make anything new except Minilight/Panasport. Nobody. I've been looking for the past 4 years. I finally picked up a set of
Ansen style slotted mags that use Unilugs. I bought them compete with lug nuts. The back spacing is too shallow and they won't work on an SWA car. (they would on an RWA one. Interested?) You will, if you continue your search, find places that will make custom wheels for ya. Places that get wheel blanks and will drill the holes where you want them, and make the correct backspacing too. Good luck. Keep ME posted if you find ANYTHNG. ANYTHNG.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Vintage works for me if:

1. They fit my car - actually fit with no messing around.
2. I like them - they have to "do" something for me, like make my car look better.

bill_young

Jedi Warrior
For a square arch Spridget the selection is pretty limited because of tire clearance. Other than vintage wheels, the only non minilite style wheels I know of are either the Revolution or a new design recently released by Performance Superlite that resembles the MGB LE style wheel but in 13". Check with Hap at Acme Speed Shop for information on these. Most of the vitage wheels designed for the Chevy Monza/Vega body styles are a bit on the wide side (6" usually) and have a bit too much offset for a SWA. Fit a RWA pretty well though. Here are some shots of some of the options available seen at Spridget 50. If you want more information on the racing wheel I'll have to contact Prather Racing and get the details as they ordered these for the owner.

Attachments

• 15285.jpg
    15285.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 384
How about the Performance Challenger, it looks like the wheels that came on the LE MGBs, but in a 13x5.5, same price as the 13x5.5 Superlites, and made by the same company. I got a actual picture of the 13x5.5 on the other computer but he's a file photo of a 5 lug wheel, same design as the 13x5.5 for the Spridgets. Offset and everything is the same as the Superlite 13x5.5. I also have a optional two ear spinners to give them or the Superlite or Challenger a cool period look as well.

Attachments

• 15286.jpg
    15286.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 373
OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Thanks guys, I really like the look of those Libre wheels.
I'd have to see the Challenger on a car to really get the feel for it.
Shiny slotted mag wheels would also be nice.
I've got nearly two months, so the search is on!

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
I love the slot mags, finally hunted down the perfect set for my Opel but didn't get before the crash (thankfully!). They look pretty good a Midget too I think. But I love the look of my spokes, even if changing didn't involve hubs and axles and all that, I wouldn't do it. Spokes just look perfect on the early cars....IMHO and how could pulling a wheel get easier than one big spinner?
midgetwithslots.jpg

bill_young

Jedi Warrior
A lot of Spridget racers used the Libre's and slots over the years. Many have upgraded to newer style wheels so check with the local SCCA or vintage racers in your area for their classifieds. You may have some luck at hot rod type swap meets as well, I found a couple of pairs of slots at those over the years that now mount my slicks for autocrossing. They are getting harder to find though as most of the wheels have been out of production since the late 70s.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Rick the datsun 510 is 4 x 113.7 or 4 x 4.5 and won't fit the midget. However I am looking for a set for my wifes little festiva that is that same size as the datsun. Her car has the 12 inch tires on it and they are becoming harder to find and more expensive and they don't last very long. With 13s I can get some low profile tires with the same circumference and of good quality.

ChrisS

Jedi Knight
These are Cosworth Vega alloy wheels. They come up on Ebay from time to time.
wheel_medic_repo_lugs.jpg

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Hi Chris, I do like that - that's a pretty wheel.

Today I removed the "beauty rings" from my Rostyles.
They left rusty scratches in the wheels.

I used some coarse steel wool and cleaned them up they painted the silver rim part with silver color (actually aluminum color) rustoleum from a can (not spray). They look about 100% better now. Still I would like some nice slotted mags or maybe something like those vega wheels.

BugEyeBear

Jedi Trainee

Branson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Ive got a set of Radir wheels on my '65. not sure what they came off of but they are 13's x 5.5 wide and the back spacing is very close to the original wheels that were on the car.

the center spokes are a matte finish with a polished lip.

IMG_0049JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg

any one know anything about these? I know the Radir brand was fairly popular with hotrods and gassers etc.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
RickB said:
Hi Chris, I do like that - that's a pretty wheel.

Today I removed the "beauty rings" from my Rostyles.
They left rusty scratches in the wheels.

I used some coarse steel wool and cleaned them up they painted the silver rim part with silver color (actually aluminum color) rustoleum from a can (not spray). They look about 100% better now. Still I would like some nice slotted mags or maybe something like those vega wheels.
Maybe you should just sand blast your rostyles and paint them up nice. I get compliments on mine sometimes. People who don't know ask me where I got them and I tell they are the stock original wheels. I have a set of the later rostyles on my 76 junker. I might redo those as well and see how the turn out.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
I painted them up yesterday - I hope the paint dried.

They really do look a lot better, the rest of the paint was presentable from a few feet, redoing it would be a good project for some time but I've got a lot of other areas that need attention more.

I'm going to have to start looking at those areas very soon, you can't let rust get a foothold on these cars - I've seen enough pictures here to know that.