• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Location of side mirrors

Kim de B

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Unless you really don't intend to drive the car much, your first and foremost concern about a driver's side mirror is if it will actually be functional and useful, and keep you from pulling out into the path of a passing car.

What I think of as a fender mirror are those that are way down the front fender. They are notoriously pretty useless for seeing passing cars in.

You are much better off mounting a side mirror where you actually will be able to use it.

[ 02-08-2004: Message edited by: Kim de B ]</p>

G

and I've found them to be a pain when working in the engine compartment on thqt side of the car

BUCKEYE_BOB

I've driven an honda made for japan with the mirror on the front fender and found it hard to use. I would put the mirror on the door. Pick the style you like best when it comes to mirrors.
Bob

G

I have a '72B and when I first bought it, there was a bullet mirror on each side on the doors where the stock ones were. I replaced them with the original style and like them much better for looks and for viewing. They are enlongated and you can see more than with the bullet.

There are three mounting holes, however, and this could be a deterent. Two small holes for the mounts and one larger to clear the spring. The spring is a shock mount so they can be bumped or hit and the spring will pull them back where they were.
Bob

craigmacleod

Freshman Member
I've decided to go with an early-style single driver's side mirror on the fender.

I found an original fender mirror (factory optional '62-'67) in the boxes of old MG stuff in the garage that I think I'll use...it's either that or a bullet style mirror.

Either way, I've seen many pics online of B's with a single mirror on the fender, but they all seem to be in different spots. Is it proper to mount the mirror mid-way down the fender (above the wheel well), or should it be closer to the windshield?

Also, I'd be inetersted in your opinions on the classic mirror vs. the bullet mirror.

Thanks

William

Darth Vader
Unless you are absolutely in love with the look of the mirror all the way down on the fender, I wouldn't do it. They were standard on MGBs for a while in the sixties and seventies, but only on the passengers side. The only things they do well, from what I've read, is get dirty from road spray off the wheel it's mounted nearest. For safety's sake, I'd keep the mirrors on the doors.
-William (just charge that two cents!)

Ed Bell

Freshman Member
I made a bracket that attaches to the windshield frame, and attached a "wing mirror" to it. It does not interfere with the side curtain like some I have seen. I just couldn't bring myself to drill holes in my new paint job! I have had a lot of people ask where they can get a mount like mine. They are fairly easy to make out of stainless steel. I have pictures if anyone would like a look at it.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Ed....photos please, especially bracketry....I'm in process of doing mirrors for my V8 car &, while I like the appearance of the fender mirrors, want to put that type mirror on door or vent window

Ed Bell

Freshman Member
Tony, I have E-Mailed some photos. Let me know if you don't get them. I still have some to learn about computers. (Not enough grease in them to make me comfortable with them.)

craigmacleod

Freshman Member
Thanks for all the input folks.

Ed, I'd like to see those photos too, please. Sounds like that might be the way I should go, since the fender mirrors don't seem to be such a good idea.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Ed...please try again with the photos....

craigmacleod

Freshman Member
Tony, did you get the photos? Ed sent them to me and if they didn't get through to you, I'll send you them.

Ed, real nice idea.

79MGB16

I thought the mirrors were just for looks. If you are really going to use them, put them on the door. I find it easier just to take a look and in my opinion there aren't many blindspots in a b. I like the look of the fender mirror too.

Please send me a copy of the pics of your bracketry(spelling)
mgb_15gp@yahoo.com
Thanks
Robert

[ 02-10-2004: Message edited by: 79MGB16 ]</p>

Ed Bell

Freshman Member
Craig, I can't take credit for the idea. A fellow from the U.K. sent me a picture of his, and I just copied the concept. Be sure to use a heavy gage stainless, my first one was too thin, and vibrated like the mirror on the dash! The ones I have now are steady as a rock. These brackets are for a MGA, I'm not familiar with the MGB, so don't know if they would work or not.

[ 02-10-2004: Message edited by: Ed Bell ]</p>

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
I will chime in of the fender mount. I agree it's tough to use, gets in the way of the engine compartment, hard to align. But I love it! I think is a very cool period mod. I'm leaving mine right where it is thank you very much!