• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Late model 'B engine block side covers..

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
Hi all,

I've decided that I should replace the side cover gaskets on my 76 'B. It still has the stock manifolds on it, and I recall reading somewhere that some people have to remove the manifolds from the engine to get at the side covers. I can reach the covers with my bare hands from up top, but it's awkward and I'm not sure how much room there is. Has anyone done this on a ZS equipped 'B? Anyone have some pointers on making it easier? I'm just wondering what to expect before I climb under the car this weekend.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I've done it before but I removed the intake/carb assembly so I could make sure I had a good seal with the gaskets

Joe Reed

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You're probably going to find it less frustrating and actually less work to remove the manifold. Removing is one thing, reinstalling them is another. Getting those two bolts started with the manifold in place is going to be a major PITA.

If you try (or even if you don't), here's a tip. Remove the old covers, scrape off any old gasket material, then glue the new gaskets to the covers while they're on the bench - don't try to install them until the sealant has set up. And clamp the gasket in place on the front cover on the "missing" corner (you'll see what I mean when you take it off) so it'll stay properly located while it drys. This will keep you from having to fight to keep the gaskets in place when reinstalling the covers.

Have fun! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
oh yeah, concerning the oil separator. Is there anything I should look for while it's off the car? For example, is there a way to rebuild it, or some system of tests I can do to ensure proper operation?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Can't recall doing it on on a GV engine (tho I'd likely try it, may even have done it... foole that I am), but on the 18 GB's it can be done painlessly. The hardest part is finding the threaded receiver on the front one. Having "Lotus Fingers" helps.

One job you shouldn't do is try to R&R the oil pressure relief valve, unless the block is out of the car. Seems like a simple job until you try to put it back IN. Trust me on this'n... 's like tryin' t' push a logging chain up a hill. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif Cat herdin' would be easier.

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
any notes for the oil separator, or is it one of those things that's easy to figure out once it's off the car?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Maybe soak/wash it in mineral spirits until it drains clean then DRY it out well. That's where parts washers and air compressors become true resources, otherwise it's time consuming. After that it's straight-forward reinstall. Cleaning all gasketed surfaces and using RTV as a sealant is assumed here as well.