• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Just wondering about DMV fees

GilsTR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
We got the California DMV slip in the mail yesterday for the 1960 TR3A.....80 bucks! Yes...this is California....where we seem to price gas and everything else higher than everyone else. But was wondering what do the rest of you pay for you DMV fees? Gil NoCal

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
In Washington state, the base fee for a passenger vehicle under 4000 lbs is $43.75.

I think folks around the Seattle area get hit with a transportation tax.

My TR4A is registered under the classic/historical vehicle category, and has no annual fee.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Arizona: $15.50

I think it is based on a valuation derived from a depreciation of the original (when new) sales price. That calc eventually bottoms out at the $15.50 mark.

justin_mercier

Jedi Warrior
In RI you pay a flat fee based on your plate type... but you also have to pay 5% of the value of your vehicle every year as a 'tax for the right to register your vehicle" however the law is written so that the tax-value of any vehicle over 25 years old is 500$ reguardless of the actual value. So while my 2002 tacoma costs me 'officially" 35.50 a year to register, it really costs me 585.50 last year to register, but my TR6 was only 35.50.

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
In SC you pay an annual tag fee. Add to that a county property tax. Our county throws on nan extra $25 "road fee". That ends up about $75/yr for a hoopty car. A newer, more luxurious car can have a property tax of $400/yr. Thats one reason I drive hoopties. Sales tax when you buy a car is capped at $300.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
In New York, the fee is based on the weight of the vehicle. My TR3 costs me $34 for two years.

DanB

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have an actual year plate for my 1966 model. Registered as an antique it is $10 for five years. Registered for regular use is $30. We also have to pay personal property tax each year. There is talk of cutting that out on classic cars due to recent revaluation by the county assessors. They have actually increased the value of parts cars to that of concours in some cases so they could charge higher taxes.

Dan B.
South Charleston, WV

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Gil, that sounds about right on my black- plated '3 here in SoCal.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
In Mass it's $75 per car. I don't know about trucks.

EDIT: My wife who pays the bills just corrected me. It's $75 for my TR6 and TR8 because I have vanity plates. It's $50 for a normal registration renewal.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
ISTR I pay a bit more than that; there is an extra annual charge because I got the old black plate reassigned to the car.

However, CA does offer a "historical vehicle" plate, that as I understand it has no annual fee. Unfortunately it requires that the vehicle be driven "primarily for the purpose of historical exhibition"; and since I work right across the street from the police station, I figure eventually some cop is going to figure out that there isn't a "historical exhibition" here every day :laugh:

G

One time price of $27.50 and tag/registration is good for life. No inspection sticker needed either. Oh wait, that's not correct. $27.50 for 99 years. That is for antiques only of course.

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
In Minnesota, there's a tax based on the vehicle's sales price/value which depreciates for ten years until you hit the base rate of $35 + a few assorted other fees, which makes my annual TR3 sticker cost $41.25.

Historic or YOM plates cost a one-time fee of $100 and no renewal fees but, like in most other places, come with driving restrictions. Like Randall, I'd rather pay the (what I feel is plenty low enough) annual fee to drive it whenever I feel like it -- and not worry that the State Patrol, seeing me daily on my normal route to/from work, will decide I'm worth pulling over.

We start high for new vehicles -- my 2010 Transit Connect (originally a ca. $20,000 car) just cost me $249.75 to register -- but we have a LOT of pot holes to fix, salt to spread, and other general wear-and-tear on the roads that warm weather states don't have.

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
In Pennsylvania it's a one time $97.50 for antique (25yrs. and older) tags. No yearly state inspection required. Use of vehicle is limited to one day a week.

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
In Ky, the taxingest state in the union, 6% sales tax the first year plus fees. Ad valorum property, school,road, etc taxes every year on your birthday. Property tax based on some invisible book value. 50.00 extra for historical tags, which means it would be on the road less so you pay more. Addition two inspections at 15.00 each on first registration and ownership transfer..it goes on and on and on.

hondo402000

Darth Vader
boy you touched on a sore subject, Here in NC I pay I think 30 for a city tag fee, 20 for the sticker for the plate and city and county property tax and where they came up with my car is worth 3500 bucks I will never know, and the state was thinking about charging us like .01 cents per mile to drive on the roads we already paid for in addition to the 42 cent per gallon of federal and state tax on a gallon of gas

time to take our country back

Country flag
Alabama is $25 for tag and an assessed tax value, usually just a couple of dollars on the older cars. Sales Tax is $15 per thousand when buying. Antique tags $25 for life but only driving is to an event. No titles before 1975

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Vaark01 said:
In Virginia, with Historic plates, I spend $25 a year and thats it.

Paul

Paul,

I was looking at antique/vintage license plates here (VA) and the DMV website shows a one-time $50 fee. They don't mention any recurring fee?

You can also use vintage license plates (YOM) for daily transportation without restrictions but have to pay the normal $40.75 fees, display the month and year stickers and get the annual safety inspection.

I do like that they seem to have added occasional pleasure driving to the list of restrictions for antique/vintage license plates as I did not recall seeing that the last time that I checked.

•Participation in antique car club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, and similar events.
•Testing its operation, obtaining repairs or maintenance, selling the vehicle or trailer, transportation to and from events as described in number 1 above and for the occasional pleasure driving not to exceed 250 miles from your residence.
•Carrying or transporting passengers, personal effects or other antique motor vehicles being transported for show purposes.

Scott

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
HerronScott said:
•Testing its operation, obtaining repairs or maintenance, selling the vehicle or trailer, transportation to and from events as described in number 1 above and for the occasional pleasure driving not to exceed 250 miles from your residence.

Those are similar to what Washington has. The only way to use a YOM plate is going the historic route.

For some reason I need to test the operation of my TR4A quite a bit!

-Darrell