• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Just starting out…

Marmoset54

Country flag
Hey fellas,

Wanted to say hello!

Recently came into possession of a 1972 TR6. Appears to be in great driver shape. No real history behind it (bought off my stepfather who bought it on an impulse buy…go figure).

Apart from having a specialized mechanic look it over, anything I should be preparing for?

Off the bat, I’d like to redo the wiring, update the suspension, and dive into this engine.

Already sent off for the key numbers as I need to get some made.

This will be second vintage car (first one was a 1985 K5 Chevy Blazer…miss her).

This will be great in South Florida. Only have a dog to worry about so I have some time.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Congrats!

Brakes are most important, followed by steering. Make sure the rubber bits are not 50 years old. The Roadster Factory (my favorite), Moss, Victoria British can get you parts, as a few suppliers in the UK (e.g. Rimmers) with more selection but higher shipping costs.

charlie74

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Once you’ve ensured it’s safe to drive (see above), the crank end float (0.004-0.008” IIRC) should be checked. If out of spec new alloy thrust washers can be obtained to custom sizes (customthrustwashers.com). They can be replaced with the engine in the car. The hub mounting studs on the rear trailing arms should be inspected and replaced if necessary. An experienced Triumph mechanic should be able to do this without undue trouble…but most of it you can do yourself if you have the desire, time, space, and tools.

And post some pics!

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Though there are a lot of jokes about the wiring of these British cars, the wiring is not bad. In my opinion changing the wiring harness is a very major project.
If your desire is to keep it as a daily driver just make sure everything works and repair what does not.
Charley

OP
M

Marmoset54

Country flag
Though there are a lot of jokes about the wiring of these British cars, the wiring is not bad. In my opinion changing the wiring harness is a very major project.
If your desire is to keep it as a daily driver just make sure everything works and repair what does not.
Charley
I absolutely HATE rewiring…

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Yeah. Lemme tell you about my K5…
This really comes down to what YOU want this car to be for you.
For me I have now restored 4+ Triumphs. In three of those cases I replaced the main wiring harness. In the 4th case, a 1962 TR4 I only did some minor wiring repairs. That wiring harness is as good as the replacements I used in the other cars. I restored the rest of that TR4 to new condition.
Charley

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
If you run into electrical problems, you'll either be really glad you have this or wish you did.

OP
M

Marmoset54

Country flag
This really comes down to what YOU want this car to be for you.
For me I have now restored 4+ Triumphs. In three of those cases I replaced the main wiring harness. In the 4th case, a 1962 TR4 I only did some minor wiring repairs. That wiring harness is as good as the replacements I used in the other cars. I restored the rest of that TR4 to new condition.
Charley
If you run into electrical problems, you'll either be really glad you have this or wish you did.
New addition to the library! Thanks!

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Dunno. Just thought with 50 year old wiring it might be time.
I would address any electrical problems if they show up but not rewire it (my opinion).
Get the Dan Masters book as poolboy suggests and be ready if you need it.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
In my opinion, a lot of perfectly good wiring harnesses are replaced every year just because they are a little faded or dirty or the copper conductors are tarnished. Wiring doesn't need to be replaced unless the insulation has hardened and is crumbling or cracking, or there are burned areas. Even then, it's often enough just to replace the bad parts. The copper can be brightened by dipping it in a mild acid. I use very dilute hydrochloric, but probably even lemon juice would work. Then dip it into an alkali bath to neutralize any remaining acid. I use Arm & Hammer washing soda in water. Be sure you dip it far enough, as acid may wick up under the insulation.

You can get all kinds of good automotive electrical connectors these days, so there is no need to put up with those awful bullet connectors used by the factory. If you want to upgrade the wiring, this is where to devote your energy.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Congrats on the acquisition. Wiring should be a "least concern" unless there's really evident damage. The mechanical bits are the priority, IMHO.

Once you’ve ensured it’s safe to drive (see above), the crank end float (0.004-0.008” IIRC) should be checked. If out of spec new alloy thrust washers can be obtained to custom sizes (customthrustwashers.com). They can be replaced with the engine in the car. The hub mounting studs on the rear trailing arms should be inspected and replaced if necessary. An experienced Triumph mechanic should be able to do this without undue trouble…but most of it you can do yourself if you have the desire, time, space, and tools.

And post some pics!
As charley74 says, crank end-float in those engines is important. Had some so worn that the clutch would barely disengage! And do check the rear hubs' studs as well, along with their bearings. The bearings require press work if they're worn, though. That's a job not easily done, we've encountered some really stubborn ones.
Post some photos? And if you run down the left side of Florida on your trip, wave as ya go thru Tampa... :savewave:

RGK

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Yeah. Lemme tell you about my K5…
Get Master's yellow book on wiring and the work shop manual. Do a thorough look see for any 'enhancements' the PO may have done. If it is running well, drive it for a while and make a 'to do' list of things that don't seem right. Enjoy it and yep, don't tip over that first domino. :nonod:

OP
M

Marmoset54

Country flag
A90346B9-2CE9-4ECD-B4FC-08500BA61A17.jpeg