• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

"jacking" up prices

guys,is this a joke or what?,ebay item # 4616315362 "original factory issue vintage shelly jack" now has eight bids,up to $517.00. could this be real? and to think i was going to dump the one that came with my car and mine is in better shape! go figga. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Here's another jacked up item to check out ... #4593787557 wow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

OP
A
john,at least youll get the set of tages so you can build the rest of the car around the pipe! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif
[ QUOTE ]
Here's another jacked up item to check out ... #4593787557 wow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

CRAZY! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cowboy.gif

The same seller wants $30 for some bracket- but doesn't seem to have a clue whether its for the engine, or transmission, or overdirve, or anything..../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

But he'll supply it with one of the bolts that it might use.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

These have to be a joke.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

Velox

Jedi Hopeful
[ QUOTE ]
guys,is this a joke or what?,ebay item # 4616315362 "original factory issue vintage shelly jack" now has eight bids,up to $517.00. could this be real? and to think i was going to dump the one that came with my car and mine is in better shape! go figga. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that made me go and check just what jack I had and sure enough same Shelly apparatus but in much better shape than what that eBay one looked to be in. Then I wondered just how does this work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif and fiddled around until I figured out how the smaller screw extended from the base or retracted depending on how the little pin was positioned. This sure didn't look like enough substance to lift a car to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif so I placed it under a frame rail, rotated the jack with the rod, zap up goes the car in the air /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I am officially impressed... it works /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
A
th,ok ill take $258.50 for mine,ill just sell it to the guy who just payed $70,500.00 for his healey! nah come on are these things realy worth $500.00 plus,i realy dont know.but youll never know how many of these originals i tossed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif

Country flag
In the middle of the desert, out of cel range, 120 degrees F with your mother-in-law in the passenger seat, sounds like a bargan to me. But my luck the spare would be flat.

OP
A
th,in the middle of the desert, no cell,120f ,spare or not my mother in law,thanks for the weight of that jack would never make it out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Velox

Jedi Hopeful
[ QUOTE ]
velox,ill give ya $20.00 for it!ah come on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I was gonna take the $20 then figured HEY go for it, try a Buy It Now on eBay for $1000 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif but then reality set in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif it turns out my original Shelley jack is lacking the required official Healey leakage oily drip spot required as proof of valid British origin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif so I just have to put it back in the car for now and wait for it to start leaking this summer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif
jack.jpg

OP
A
velox,no leaks,then its really not yet an "official" healey component,my new offer $5.00,unless somthin pops or leaks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

OP
A
velox,hold on a minute,after closer inspection,i can only offer $2.00,what you have is a repro! take a good look at the one on ebay,notice the diff.? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Velox

Jedi Hopeful
[ QUOTE ]
velox,hold on a minute,after closer inspection,i can only offer $2.00,what you have is a repro! take a good look at the one on ebay,notice the diff.? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

AAARRRRRGH you're right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
I already had that thousand bucks spent /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/computer.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/computer.gif
Now I see the eBay one has a different jack handle attachment area. All is not lost, however! Underneath where the jack was stored I found some Official Healey Dirt and Grime. I'm gonna put that on eBay instead, for big bucks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Not sure if you're just jacking arround, but the jack that came with my 1960 BT7 when I bought it in 1963 was just like the one in the photo from VELOX. Has the straight handle opening, not the flacid one like the unit on ebay. I doubt they were making repros of these babies back in 1963!! I've used this jack one the road, and the best I can say is- it works. Nothing compared to the scissors type that came stock with Japanese cars in the late 60's. Those worked were a hugh improvement.

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Anthony, that jack has you written all over it. One decent gig and you got it covered.

OP
A
shg,as a brother percussionist you know very well with what they pay musicians nowadays it would take 4 years to buy that jack,thats why im not a full time music man,i think the guy selling it and the guy buying it are both performing a task that simulates charging ones faraday flashlight! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

Velox

Jedi Hopeful
[ QUOTE ]
rob glasgo,shhhh,im tryin to jack down velox's selling price! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I don't know if I have an original repro, or a repro original, or just a Shelley-clone. That scratched red paint is pretty slick, though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif so I'm thinking maybe of jacking my price back up to $7.50 waddyathink /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

The Official Dirt & Grime are domestic - the car was delivered new to Florida and has been USA ever since /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif so I'm gonna come down on my eBay Dirt price to $750. That should work for sure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif