• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Prices for Healeys [Holy C@#p]

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Re: Holy C@#p

That's just an asking price. Meaningless.

A nice BRG BJ8 sold for a hammer price of $44,000 today in the Bonhams auction in Scottsdale. That was a sales price where real money changed hands.

Don't gauge the market by asking prices.

drambuie

Jedi Warrior

Gee, And according to the ad it even has a Healey 5 speed! And they are renowned Healey experts!

WaltCasten

Jedi Trainee
Country flag

That's just an asking price. Meaningless.

A nice BRG BJ8 sold for a hammer price of $44,000 today in the Bonhams auction in Scottsdale. That was a sales price where real money changed hands.

Don't gauge the market by asking prices.

One of these golden beige one sold at RM last night for I think $60K. They don't have the results posted yet but it was either $60 or $80K, I wasn't paying that close of attention as I was only concerned with the 100M coming up later.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag

Golden Beige Metallic cars are funny. With only 551 being produced, they are somewhat rare, but the only thing special about them from other BJ8s is the color. Because it's an attractive color, particularly with the red interior, they do really well at auction and there has been a cottage industry preparing cars that weren't originally GBM with that color combination. And if you don't have a Heritage certificate you'll never know the difference. So I wonder how much of a premium having one of the original 551 cars brings. What I don't understand here is if you start with one of the original 551 cars, why the restorer would then change the interior to a non original color.

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight

Rick , I agree. If the car were mine and I were changing the interior color I would have gone with red , not the color he chose. It looks like it was black originally. I don't get the significance of the golden beige color at all, other than rarity , its not that appealing to me.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag

Golden Beige Metallic cars are funny. With only 551 being produced, they are somewhat rare, but the only thing special about them from other BJ8s is the color. Because it's an attractive color, particularly with the red interior, they do really well at auction and there has been a cottage industry preparing cars that weren't originally GBM with that color combination. And if you don't have a Heritage certificate you'll never know the difference. So I wonder how much of a premium having one of the original 551 cars brings. What I don't understand here is if you start with one of the original 551 cars, why the restorer would then change the interior to a non original color.
My BJ8 was one of the 82 that was Beige with Red interior. It wasn't long before the Beige color was completely faded but todays base coat clear coat keeps the color "alive"(the same for the blue too). There are so many Healeys now with that color combo thru Restorers that weren't the original color that I decided to change the original interior Red to another color. A guy in our club bought GBM/Red several years ago and paid a premium for it at the auction. The cars original colors were on the Heritage Certificate displayed in the trunk.

OP
Healey Nut

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

The whole MGB thing went crazy a few years back when a Kurt Tanner one sold a few years back at Barrett Jackson for somewhere in the 150K range .
Personally I dont like it . Red interior is just ugly . BRG and either black or biscuit leather is my favorite .

RandyHicks

I've been to both RM and Gooding this week. Healey prices seem to have stabilized a bit. So-so Blue/OEW did NOT sell at RM for $160K. (Seller should have jumped at the bid. IMHO). EXTREMELY nice Phase 1 BJ8 sold at Gooding for $85K (+ commission), while a Black?Red 100M sold for $125K which was right for seller & buyer (again + commission). Another 100M goes off this afternoon which should do much better.

Randy

WaltCasten

Jedi Trainee
Country flag

I've been to both RM and Gooding this week. Healey prices seem to have stabilized a bit. So-so Blue/OEW did NOT sell at RM for $160K. (Seller should have jumped at the bid. IMHO). EXTREMELY nice Phase 1 BJ8 sold at Gooding for $85K (+ commission), while a Black?Red 100M sold for $125K which was right for seller & buyer (again + commission). Another 100M goes off this afternoon which should do much better.

Randy

Randy is correct, the golden beige car I mentioned earlier sold for $85,250, not $60K.

There was one of Kurt Tanner's sage green BJ8's sold for $71,500.

These were both at RM.

Country flag

I sold my GMB/red BJ8 ( I had the Hert cert) to a dealer about 6 weeks ago. It was pretty nice car but not a show car. Wonder if it was the one that sold at auction. He said it was going to dress it out . He made a nice profit if it was but I was happy with what I got for it.

Marv

AN6-TX

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag

Golden Beige Metallic cars are funny. With only 551 being produced

Trivia of the day - there were actually a total of 553 cars produced in MGB - 551 were BJ8s with serial numbers >40000 (in the last ~3000 cars). The other two were earlier BJ8s 32xxx and 38xxx (or maybe 35xxx) if my memory is correct.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Trivia of the day - there were actually a total of 553 cars produced in MGB - 551 were BJ8s with serial numbers >40000 (in the last ~3000 cars). The other two were earlier BJ8s 32xxx and 38xxx (or maybe 35xxx) if my memory is correct.

And as the saying goes, of the original 553 ... 1,500 have survived.:jester:

BigGreen

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
[h=1]RM Auctions Arizona 2014 – Auction Report[/h]

Lot # 009 1967 Austin-Healey 3000 Mk III Phase 2 Convertible; S/N HBJ8L36920; Engine # 29K/RU/H/11536; Golden Beige Metallic/Red Ambla leatherette; Black leatherette top; Estimate $70,000 – $90,000; Older restoration, 3+ condition; Hammered Sold at $77,500 plus commission of 10.00%; Final Price $85,250. No Reserve – Chrome wire wheels, powder-coated top frame, overdrive, leatherette upholstery, books and documents. – An older Kurt Tanner restoration, fair (but correct) panel fit, very clean engine compartment, clean and tidy interior, shiny chrome wheels are a bit over the top. – Big Healey prices have softened of late and the neutral color, popular a few years ago but not so much today, did this car no favors. Sold for $86,580 at Bonhams Quail Lodge auction in 2009 and bought appropriately here in Arizona five years later.

https://www.sportscardigest.com/rm-auctions-arizona-2014-auction-report/