• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wedge ISO Aftermarket & Upgaded Parts 4 TR8 Rebuild

super8

Freshman Member
I Inherited a '81 TR8, This is my First Time on here guys so be gentle. Ive decided to restore and "Upgrade" the car.I would love any and all recommendations and suggestions for making a "Super8". I am far from an "originalist", so you guys pipe down. I looking for 16" rims (I would go 17" but the ride would be most uncompfortable). Ive beefed up the engine to about 260hp added a subtle bodykit. I need a beefier suspension and brakes. Also Any unique ideas on diff seats? who sells the best all black interiour and Top.Also is Ansa my only choice for my exhaust. I also heard rimmer bros has a nice rolebar and rear spoiler. Embarking on this adventure i aquired a 1980 tr7spider that im parting out now. And I LIve in WestLA and would love any referals to any local Triumph mechanics in the SoCal Area.And maybe any Local Clubs i could join. And Finally What,Where,When are any Local or National Triumph or TR7/8 Gatherings that i could attend to watch the "Originalist" eat their hats....lol just kidding guys. 310.994.7823<font color="red"> </font> Building a TR-Super8

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hello, Super, and welcome to the Forum! I've just bought a TR8 as well, and will be sprucing it up over the next year or so. Engine is in good shape, so I'm not going to do anything drastic there - just clean up and bring back what's been neglected over the years.

I am going to redo the interior and paint it, though. It's Poseidon Green with tan plaid. Will be replacing the carpet, seats and panels, and will probably go with the plaid for "originality" - the plaid kinda grows on you. And after all, they are saying that disco is coming back! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

For parts, info, etc., check with www.wedgeparts.com.

Look forward to hearing your story.

Mickey

tr8Fan

I'm almost finished restoring my TR8 and included several upgrades during the restoration. First, you stated that you would like to put 16" rims on the car. I would be concerned about tire rubbing. The original rims on my TR8 were replaced with 15" panasports. The ride is nice and I don't get the vibration at 60mph that the TR7/8 are notorious for. My exhaust system includes headers, stainless steel pipes and two Magnaflow mufflers. I'm very pleased with the look. As far as the engine is concerned, I'm interested in what you did to get 260hp. My engine was bored .20, has a hot street cam, edelbrock intake and carb, remanufactured heads and its putting out about 225 - 250hp.
You can buy your black interior from Victoria British. They were a great help with my restoration and have very competitive pricing. Other features you may want to consider: uprated alternator and starter (I recommend speaking to Ted at TSI automotive).

I look forward to hearing your progress as well.
TR8Fan

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hey TR8Fan -

I'd like more info on the rims you bought - offset, tire size, etc. I've got the 60 mph shimmy you're talking about, and while I like the looks of the alloys, don't like the shakes!

Also, what size are the Magnaflows? Not much room back there to work with.

Mickey

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Welcome to the forum super8! (is it me or are we getting an unusual amount of new members the last couple of weeks??? Gotta love it!)

Regarding local clubs check out https://www.socaltriumphs.org/. The next meeting is November 15th in Santa Fe Springs. (check out the website for directions)

We are a good bunch of people and nobody is going to give you crap about originality. You just missed the big annual west coast event "Triumphfest" which is usually during the beginning of October. Triumphfest 2006 will be up the coast a little (Solvang? Oxnard? I'm drawing a blank this morning)

Hope to see you there on the 15th!

regarding mechanics. Several club members use Britalia Import Auto Service in Fullerton and in the spring the owner Walt puts on a saturday tech clinic where they go over the normal service inspection checklist on members' cars.

I have no personal experience or financial interest. I've heard of several well-regarded mechanics in SoCal but Britalia is the only one that pops into my head. Someone will chime in I'm sure.

swift6

Yoda
Welcome to BCF, I'm a new TR8 owner as well, a 78FHC. A very early (#15) production TR8. I'm also planning some performance upgrades for 8.

Some online resources and national TR8 clubs can be found online through the World Wide Wedge site, https://www.team.net/TR8/
or
https://www.voskotan.net/

Suppliers such as Ted Schumacher, Wedgeparts and Rimmer Bros offer many performance items including bigger brakes, bigger front bearings, shocks, springs, headers and exhaust etc... Victoria British is also a fairly good supplier. Moss on the other hand is pretty pitiful on the TR7 and TR8.

JFS

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Hi Super8, My TR8 has Rimmer Bros. stainless steel headers & loud system (H pipe and a small resonator at each end); Woody Cooper springs, shocks, struts w/ bearing washers; and Boyd Coddington 15"billet wheels (Bought before his bankruptcy) w/ 215 50s (I think - I"d have to look). Although the headers are a tight fit against steering and subframe, I am extremely pleased with these products and their vendors.

TR7/8 TPI

Jedi Hopeful
Congratulations on your inheritance and welcome. I am probably the furthest thing from a purist and there is nothing to fear with me.

I would like to address the issue of the seats. Finding a nice seat that will bolt right in is near impossible. I can say, after looking at quite a number a seats, my choice was to go with a pair of seats from a 2002 Celica GTS. They are narrow enough to physically fit nicely and are very comfortable considering they are sport seats with a fairly rigid side bolster support.

Now the problem......with any modification, to any vehicle that is unusual, there is no easy answer. A welder and some ingenuity will be required to make the modification to fit most any seat other than the original.

TR7_039.jpg

As far as brakes, the Volvo 240 of certain years has a 4 piston caliper that has been adapted to the wedge with very little modification. I will check to see if I still have the link for this but if I can't find it, do a search for TR7 brake upgrade on google and you should find your answers.

[ QUOTE ]

I Inherited a '81 TR8, This is my First Time on here guys so be gentle. Ive decided to restore and "Upgrade" the car.I would love any and all recommendations and suggestions for making a "Super8". I am far from an "originalist", so you guys pipe down. I looking for 16" rims (I would go 17" but the ride would be most uncompfortable). Ive beefed up the engine to about 260hp added a subtle bodykit. I need a beefier suspension and brakes. Also Any unique ideas on diff seats? who sells the best all black interiour and Top.Also is Ansa my only choice for my exhaust. I also heard rimmer bros has a nice rolebar and rear spoiler. Embarking on this adventure i aquired a 1980 tr7spider that im parting out now. And I LIve in WestLA and would love any referals to any local Triumph mechanics in the SoCal Area.And maybe any Local Clubs i could join. And Finally What,Where,When are any Local or National Triumph or TR7/8 Gatherings that i could attend to watch the "Originalist" eat their hats....lol just kidding guys. 310.994.7823<font color="red"> </font> Building a TR-Super8

[/ QUOTE ]

tr8Fan

Mickey,
The tires that I installed on the rims are Toyo's 195 50 R15. I can't remember what the offset was. The rims were purchased at TSI Automotive.

The mufflers are Magnaflow item#14862. Underneath, I added Magnaflow resonators and the sound is awesome. Below is a picture of the exhaust (if I attached it correctly) near completion. Since the picture, the rear mufflers have been hung in the rear and are tucked up a little more.

TR8_Pic_3_two.JPG

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
WOW! That looks fantastic!

Guess it's time to start saving my lunch money!

Thanks for the picture and the info.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif Mickey