• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Is there more than one type of 16P brake caliper?

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
Are there different types of "16P" Girling brake caliper or is a 16P brake caliper the same no matter what British car it came of off?

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I "think" that is a model from Girling, but there are different sizes within that group, but I could be wrong.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
There are definitely variations on the theme, even for calipers from Triumphs. Likely there are even more for calipers from other car models.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
ISTR that there was a Type 16, a Type 16P and a Type 16PB, and that there were minor differences in seals and/or pistons. Also, the latest PB calipers had metric fittings, IIRC. Or I could be dreaming all this, but I think it's something like that! :laugh:

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
:iagree: with Andy.

The later 16PB with the metric threads also had metric sized mounting holes, even though the threads in the mounting bracket remained SAE.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
So that's why the guy on eBay was selling a fully rebuilt set cheap a few months ago with a "slight problem" in the casting in the threaded area.....

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I've been running into this problem trying to find replacement calipers for my Tiger rebuild. Yeah, they're 16P, sure, but these particular ones are only used on Tigers and Alpines and a couple other cars (none of which were imported in any useful quantity). Conventional pipe fittings but weird mounting bolt spacing. According to Rimmer Bros, they "suggest" that pistons and seals are universal for 16P's but would not guarantee that. Bob

MikeP

Jedi Knight
Bob, unless you're completely missing the calipers or the castings have been broken they're almost always rebuildable. I did a set off a car that sat in a field for a dozen years or so that a brake shop gave back to me when they could get them apart.

I do think that pistons, seals, pad retaining pins and such will swap as I've used some of these from Moss TR listed calpiers.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Within the Triumph family, the dust seals are different between early and late. Early dust seals fit into a groove inside the bore, later ones are held on the outside by a metal clip. I'm not positive, but ISTR they don't interchange, as the early calipers didn't have the surface where the later dust seals attach and of course the later calipers don't have the groove where the early dust seals attach. But the pistons and main seals are the same, and in a pinch you can leave off the dust seal.

IMO, buggered threads where the pipe attaches is reason enough to replace the calipers. It's likely possible to repair the threads, but I'm not comfortable with the idea. And rebuildable calipers are readily available, from the folks who like Toyota parts on their Triumphs.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
karls59tr said:
Would a pair of Girling 16P calipers from a Spitfire fit on a TR4A?
Spitfires used the Type 12 on the 4 and Mk2 and the Type 14 on the Mk3 and beyond. It was the GT6 that used the Type 16 (as well as the 2l Vitesse saloons and convertibles, but they're seldom seen in North America).

OP
K

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
Apparently the 16P's I bought on Ebay were taken off a Spitfire race car ,so maybe the racer had taken the calipers off a GT6 to upgrade his brakes for racing? Would there have been a benefit of the 16P's over the Type 12 and 14's?...ie.bigger?