• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How to install a BN7 hood [top]

RDKeysor

Jedi Trainee
Bronze
Country flag
I drove my newly purchased '60 BN7 home from Virginia in January with the hood installed. Since I am in Florida, I promptly removed the hood and put it away. Today, I decided to install it just in case as I plan to motor from Jacksonville to the Tampa area (Safety Harbor) for a British car show this weekend. I took the precaution of checking both my shop and owner's manuala only to find they describe how to take the hood down, but not how to install it. Forty-five minutes later I had the job done. Obviously I need a primer on the installation. Ultimately, I was able to install the top if I didn't engage the two fittings on the rear deck before making the connections at the windshield. I had, of course, tried to do the exact opposite. So, is that the key, and do the hooks at the front corners of the windscreen face out, or in? Thanks for those who have solved so many of my earlier riddles.

British_Recovery

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Put the top frame into holes just behind the doors. By the way - if the top has been off for any length of time, warm it up in the sun if possible so it will stretch. Bring the front bow forward a bit, but don't lock the side bars upward yet. Slide the metal strip at the rear under both rear tabs on the rear shroud. Make sure the rear bow is in place along the seam above the window ( if not controlled by the cloth straps for position ). Now is a good time to attach the Tenax and turnbuckles at the sides and rear. Push the side bars up to the locked position and bring the forward bow up to the windshield with the tabs against the inside of the windshield top. The J hooks go under the chrome posts with the open side outward. Push up the tabs on the windshield brackets, and you are done. The ends of the posts that went in the holes first originally had adjustment bolts in the ends, to raise or lower the whole top frame and top. Adjust accordingly.
Good luck, Bob

Country flag
I'm planning on being in Safety Harbor Saturday, but no top__unless the rain is coming down (and not much chance of that).

Should find me somewhere around this:

559595_10151204278653291_430792284_n.jpg

OP
R

RDKeysor

Jedi Trainee
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks for an excellent description for installing the hood. For the Floridian, I'll be the white two seater, black interior, Lucas driving lights, etc. Hope it will be a nice show.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Celtic 77 MGB Rerouting heather pipe after Weber install. MG 13
angelfj1 TR2/3/3A TR3A Boot Millboard Install Triumph 7
E Heater install Spridgets 2
algot1901 Roof install Other British Cars 16
SNClocks Moss Motors 5-speed install in a Bugeye Sprite Spridgets 2
A Spitfire Install fan Triumph 1
S Install drain cock in radiator. MG 2
Popeye TR4/4A Accelerator shaft install - location of bushing plates? Triumph 2
AUSMHLY BJ8 transmission mainshaft bearing force needed to install/remove Austin Healey 1
6 Master Cylinder Install Spridgets 5
S MGB Transmission cross member re-install MG 14
K TR2/3/3A The guide bolts to help gearbox install? Triumph 19
K TR2/3/3A Brake caliper piston install? Triumph 18
EWD TR6 Top Install Triumph 3
J TR4/4A Seat install, Spring clip Triumph 0
R side light install Spridgets 2
R TR2/3/3A Install new wiring harness in steering column Triumph 16
Joel Lester TR2/3/3A Any advice for new floor install on my TR3? Triumph 9
L TR6 Rear Brakes Shoe Repair and Install Triumph 2
71TR6 TR2/3/3A TR3A Front Sway bar- how to install? Triumph 5
J Tips for quarter elliiptic spring install Spridgets 3
T Pertronix distributor install into Austin Healey 100/6 Austin Healey 12
SherpaPilot TR6 Difficulty with New Seat Diaphragm Install Triumph 6
EWD TR6 Trunion Install Triumph 0
A TR2/3/3A Interior rear panel covering gas tank and rear seat bottom install. Triumph 7
66healey BJ8 shifter spring install Austin Healey 2
K TR2/3/3A Steering box install again...the collar with the pinch bolt? Triumph 9
GeorgeC Intake / exhaust manifold gasket install goop? Spridgets 2
C How to install Stone Guards on driving lights? Austin Healey 7
F Heater valve/tap gasket- Install dry? Austin Healey 10
Csarneson BN4 Cam Gear Install Austin Healey 3
Rut 5 speed install Spridgets 14
R More Shroud to Scuttle install Austin Healey 4
R Dash Install questions Austin Healey 31
S TR2/3/3A how to install a gas tank in an early tr3 Triumph 8
P BJ7 Carpet Install Questions Austin Healey 29
J TR2/3/3A Trunnion Install Triumph 3
B TR2/3/3A Cigarette Lighter Install Triumph 7
D Prepping to install engine Spridgets 2
P BN2 new wood steering wheel install Austin Healey 5
C MGB Paint first or install mechanics MG 10
T TR4/4A Rear Seatback/Hoodstick [Top] cover install Triumph 0
D BT7 Timing chain install Austin Healey 2
CessnaTPA Tonneau Install Question Austin Healey 13
G TR4/4A Interior Install...and other random questions. Triumph 11
S TR2/3/3A install the OD relay Triumph 3
steveg Wiper motor install error - warning Austin Healey 9
55modified Anyone install one of these [100S Kilmartin pieces] for fresh air in your footbox? Austin Healey 14
Jim_Gruber Need your ideas on a How To Do it - SpeedHut Gauge Install Spridgets 11
G TR4/4A Interior Install Steps Triumph 3