• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hi Spridget owners.

Mychael

I'm not new to BCF but due to having to sell my TR3A & now purchasing a 1960 A/H 'Frogeye' I'm moving across From the Triumph forum to here.
Well versed on Triumphs not nearly so much on Sprites so I'll be lurking around here a bit picking up gems of wisdom.

Mike

Country flag
Welcome. There are a few people lurking around here from your end of the earth.

G

Welcome to this side of the board. It's rumored Elvis is lurking here somewhere thankyouverymuch.

58Custom

Jedi Warrior
Make sure your knees bend freely to aid ingress and egress.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Welcome! Former TR3 owner and current owner of multiple Spridgets. Both wonderful cars.

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
You're a lucky man. You live near(ish) what has to be the greatest collection of Bugeye related stuff, and one of the most knowledgeable Sprite owner/historians around. Ray English in Eagle Point, Victoria. I can forward his contact info if you want it.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Love Melbourne. So, when was the last time you made it to the "Penguin Parade?" :yesnod:

OP
Mychael

Mychael

Thanks everyone. Yes I sort of know Ray English from a very long time ago. Not sure why as I've only ever been a TR man but I clearly recall visiting him at his old address, gee well over 25yrs ago when I was chasing up something.

Yes to the handling, a mate of mine once owned a 1275 Mg Midget and we'd go driving together. On the longer runs and hilly sections my Triumph left him way behind but get into the tight twisty stuff and the playing field went a lot more in his favour.

Have not been to Penguin Parade for many years. It's become very commercial now.

A bit more about the A/H. No photo's to show as yet. It's Red with black interior, owned by a retired bloke who's had it a few years, it's an older restoration/renovation so paint is sound but faded and marked in places, interior is black, wet weather gear in good order.
has a chrome cargo rack on it's tail and Minilite style wheels with the original steelies as spares.
All stock with steel bonnet hinging in traditional way, drum brakes, generator, point ignition and only the small motor.
Registered and drivable though part of the deal is no Roadworthy Certificate and the owner will take the plates off the car and cancel the registration after he delivers it to me.
Immediate things to do is get clutch fixed, there's an oil leak at rear of engine which could be problimatical, at the same time convert to electronic ignition, front disk brakes and alternator.
Then get it fully checked over by someone who really knows where the problem spots could be, get a roadworthy certificate and the put it on the club certificate scheme. Not sure if there's a comparison to that over there. It allows me 90 days use per year at a fraction of the cost of full registration.

If I find I'm using it more then I'll go through the hassle of getting it back onto full registration.

Hopefully (I'd do it now but budget wont allow) I'll convert to a 1275cc motor and ribbed gearbox.

RickB

Yoda
Speaking of Ray English, I see his info at the beginning of this "First registered Austin Healey Sprite at Silverstone" video...

Trevor just posted this over on another forum, I thought it would be nice to share it here too:

HcpHyGU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

OP
Mychael

Mychael

That's a good video. Love the way the guy speaks.
Bit of news, got myself a fully reconditioned late model sprite gearbox to go in the car at the same time as getting the clutch fixed.
Also discovered it's not the 948cc motor but a 1098 so maybe I'll not bother sourcing a 1275 so soon now.

RickB

Yoda
The 1098 is a good motor, lots of torque.
If it's in good nick I'm sure you will be happy with it.
Glad to hear about the gearbox!