• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Head Gasket Question

MGB_80

Just wondering...Noticed today that my head gasket has a nice leak in it and oils going everywhere. thinking about upgrading to a copper gasket cause i drive lots of backroads at the higher rpms. question is do i need to get my head resurfaced and which gasket should i get i saw one on moss motors and victoria british.

Called VB and they didn't know if i would have to get the head resurfaced

thanks
Aric
'80LE

14dna

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hi. As a mechanic for 30 some years I never replaced a head gasket without resurfacing the head. There are two reasons for this; 1 If the gasket leaks, what does this do to the head (warps) 2 Do you want to do this job over?
This may seem like overkill, but when you have to do it again it is frustrating, and as a professional, your reputation is on the line with every job. Hope this helps Dave

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
Saga advice from 14dna. Doesn't cost much more, given everything is apart. Do it. At the very least, ask a trusted machine shop to check it for straightness.

Why did it fail in the first place? Did you find the cause?

VB wont know anything about your car, let alone repair advice. Best to ask here. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Noticed today that my head gasket has a nice leak in it and oils going everywhere.[/QUOTE]

The last part of that statement concerns me...where exactly is oil going? & from where is it coming?

ccougill

Jedi Warrior
don't use a copper gasket, get a fel pro at your local parts store

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I agree q/chuck...but, there's something else going on if you're losing oil down the side of the block!!

ccougill

Jedi Warrior
thats true if it's oil, then something is broken. A blown head gasket should only be leaking water, and most of that out the exhaust.

OP
M

MGB_80

ok...im new and thought it was the head gasket ill take some pics tommorrow but it looks like its coming from in between the cylinder head and the block on both sides but worse on the header/carb side

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I bet, I just bet if I was a betting man. Valve cover gasket.

OP
M

MGB_80

well i changed the valve cover gasket because it too was leaking. but you can still watch the oil run out from somewhere under the engine header pipe towards the rear of the engine. looks to me like where the manifold sits ontop of the block. is there a gasket in this area?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
There are two rectangular "side covers" on the block (behind the manifolds) to allow access to the lifters. They have gaskets which can leak oil. Hopefully it'll be one of those and not the head. A good cleaning/inspection is the first order of business! Tough to see in behind the manifolds on the later B's, but with small mirror and flashlight you may be able to get a good look around.

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
Beat me to it Doc.

To the OP, what makes you suspicious of the head gasket? Do you have foamy coolant or oil that looks like mayo? Sweet smelling exhaust?

The tappet chest covers that Doc mentions are a PITA to get too, but a very likely suspect if you have oil on that side of the block.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Oil on both sides of the block?!?!Hmm, that's interesting. One side you could figure, but both sides?? PJ

Bugeye58

Yoda
Spray clean the entire area with brake cleaner or such, and dry thoroughly. Get a can of spray foot powder and coat the area. This dries to a white powder. Start the car and look for discoloration of the powder. It'll pinpoint the source of the leak.
An oldie, but a goodie!
Jeff

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
Bugeye58 said:
Spray clean the entire area with brake cleaner or such, and dry thoroughly. Get a can of spray foot powder and coat the area. This dries to a white powder. Start the car and look for discoloration of the powder. It'll pinpoint the source of the leak.
An oldie, but a goodie!
Jeff

Thats a great tip, need to file that one.

This is an 80 MGB which will probably be festooned with all manner of emmisions doodads. I'd be surprised if he can even see that side of the block much less hose it down/spray it up.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That'll be the major issue: seeing/getting to the side of the block. I kinda think the right side may just be "leftovers" from the valve cover leak. If there's no water in the oil or vice-versa, it's likely to be coming from the side covers.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yep - that side might possibly be side covers...the other side could be around the oil pressure line fitting or somehere around the filter housing...if its higher than that, its gotta be valv cover....I can't believe oil is coming out at the head gasket.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Bugeye58 said:
An oldie, but a goodie!
Jeff

Great idea Jeff! Who would ever think. Another addition to the memory book. Notice I said book and not bank. The bank keeps heading south with age. PJ

Rick_Stevens

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
PAUL161 said:
Bugeye58 said:
An oldie, but a goodie!
Jeff

Great idea Jeff! Who would ever think. Another addition to the memory book. Notice I said book and not bank. The bank keeps heading south with age. PJ

And getting more and more overdrawn! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

R.