• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Fuel Injected Midget Up-date

Morris

Yoda
Fuel Injected Midget Update

Well, I am struggling through the tuning process which boasts an incredibly steep learning curve. Each day I discover a new mistake I made in the installation. What a metaphor for life, huh?

Anyway, I have taken her for a few rides, and hope to have her driveable by the end of the weekend.

I slapped together a website of pics just for you guys. https://www.electrongun.org/MidgetFI/WebPage.html Please don't pass this link around as I would like to polish things up a bit before releasing it to the general public. Also, I would greatly appreciate any feedback (negative or positve) you can give me.

Thanks,

morris

Country flag
Re: Fuel Injected Midget Update

Looks like it has real potential. Thanks for sharing.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin

Thanks! Looks great!
(and we'll keep it to ourselves until you go public with this deal).

G

How are you tuning it?
If you don't have one on, a wideband o2 sensor is going to save you a LOT of time. Pricey, but time vs cash...

OP
Morris

Morris

Yoda

I have the LC-1 wideband setup from Innovate Motorsports. It's awesome.

ChrisS

Jedi Knight

What are you using as a datalogger? Does the software with the LC-1 allow for tach input or do you handle that seperately? Let me know if you need a 1275 beta site. Nice work.

G

Uses distributor pickup or did you add a crank trigger?

I know you already did your kit - and with the megasquirt there is a fair investment in time, but you saw the customefis setup, right? If you got the tbi off Rick Patten then you must have...

Looks like you are having fun. RU going to dyno it?

OP
Morris

Morris

Yoda

Currently I am using MegaSquirt via Megatune to datalog. The LC-1 I ordered does not take a tach input, but there may be upgrades that allow you to do this. I am triggering from the negative terminal on the coil, though eventually I will trigger from an opto sensor once I have all my fuel delivery issues ironed out and I am ready to tackle spark control.

The Customefis setup is currently only offered for the TR6. It is a positively brilliant set-up, but it does have several drawbacks, one of which being that it is not so easy to reconfigure "in the field." Also, I wanted to create and offer my own kit for sale. I am getting sick of working for the man.

And Chris, you are on for the 1275 beta site! I regret that I did not tackle the 1275 first, but I originally thought that the 1500 would be a better target market due to the lamentable ZS150 carb and the ability to cross market to the Spitfire crowd. Oh well.

And YES I am going to dyno it. I will probably use Home Dyno or Street Dyno.

Sorry this reply kinda rambles. It's late.

G

I thought his site said he'd done them for 4 pot cars also is all. No biggie - it's cooler that you are doing it yourself. At least with your own baseline maps you'll have a good start for marketing it.

I'm curious because I'm doing an smpi install on my TR6, and I'm waiting for bits so I've nothing better to do than sit and look at what other people have done...

good luck

OP
Morris

Morris

Yoda

Please keep us all posted on your installation! I am EFI obsessed.

Country flag

Morris,
Obviously, you are expecting greater reliability and easier starts, but do expect any measureable performance gains?

OP
Morris

Morris

Yoda

Yes. The ECU will keep AFR near 14.7:1 for normal driving, a little lean for cruising, and inject a little extra fuel for acceleration and wide open throttle situations. I don't expect miraculous gains, but there should be enough of an increase that coupled with the increased economy and reliability, the kit will be well worth the time and money.

G

The real nice thing about the TB design as is, apart from the simplicity is that if you upgrade your fuel lines to about 25psi, your pump to handle the extra flow and add a return (although it looks like you may already have done this), you can add a supecharger to the kit fairly easily. Re-map and then you get a lot more power...

OP
Morris

Morris

Yoda

My system is running at 40psi (I am using a Chrysler/Bosch injector instead of a GM/Rochester injector) and I used the old fuel line for the bulk of my return run. It is piped into the fill pipe. Super easy.

For the kit, we will probably use the GM TBI 700 injector to make things easier for Rick.

Regardless, I am sure there is a super charger or turbo somewhere in my future.

G

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

and so will you.

do you need to do drivetrain mods?

Matthew E. Herd

Jedi Warrior

Drivetrain mods for a supercharger? I doubt it, unless you're going hog wild. I'd bet you could do just fine without it for say 7-10 lbs of boost on a relatively stock motor.

All this talk about fuel injected supercharged cars is making me excited ... I'd better start thinking about something very unexciting or I'll never get to sleep!

G

You see that's where my unfamiliarity with the Midget drivetrain trips me up. I know on the TR6 you pretty much have to change out everything - gearbox, diff and rear axle assemblies as soon as you want to go over about 200hp, or approx 2x what it does stock...

Regardless it should be fun.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Matthew E. Herd

Jedi Warrior

When you say "change out" do you mean go to a new trans, etc? or do you mean you have stronger items like gears, etc? With the 1500, there are really no options anyway, so what you see is what you get. I've only broken one transmission so far while autocrossing (although it was catastrophic and it was because i dropped the clutch in second gear at >35 mph while the engine was idling). However, other than that, it's pretty good. I'd say we'd see no more than 120 hp in a spridget, even with maxed out 1275, so it's not a terrible problem. The 1500 can output greater torque, at generally lower RPM (which may be more damaging), but still not a huge performer. I'd say, with proper carburation, that it's probably equivalent to the 1275 in power output (SCCA production rules kill it pretty well with the single 1.5" carb).

Although, axles are available if you want'em. They can be beneficial, along with double bearing rear hubs (not stock).

I ask, where might one find superchargers for reasonable prices? I'm thinking of considering the project for the distant future ... supercharged/turbocharged 1500 ... could be a real killer with those 7.5:1 pistons!

G

On my 6, I have the gearbox from a Supra (W58), an R200 diff (Nissan again) and I'm having custom halfshafts made. Luckily for me both the box and diff have conversion kits available.

Superchargers - if you look at the moss kit, the supercharger they use looks like an Eaton M45. Try Ebay - there is a place sells refurbed M62s for $500. (It's too big - you need a 45). It's fitted to a new Mini for sure.

After that you'll need someone to fabricate an adapter to the intake manifold, or a new intake manifold, and mounts. If you are using TBI already then you have no worries with upgrading the carb, just make sure the injector can flow enough for the HP.

The system isn't optimal, but it would be cheap and will give you a nice power increase.

You might want to have a look at this just for fun. These have A-series engines in them don't they...

https://www31.brinkster.com/vmaxscart/supercharger.htm