• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Front Right Shock Change Creates another Problem

Midget78

Jedi Trainee
I have been meaning to post this issue but havent got around to it. A while back I had to change my front passenger side shock due to the arm being worn out at the fulcrum point and allowing that side to have a lot of play. Luckly I had a local MG parts dealer where I was able to get another replacement shock off the shelf yet this was a used one from another Midget. The shock looked fine and didnt leak and I walked out with it for $40. I put it on with no issues but notice now when I turn right and apply the brakes I get a vibration / rubbing sound. I took the front wheel off to look for metal shavings or a contact point but cant see anything except the brake rotor shield slightly pushed in toward the rotor. My guess is the arm is possibly longer or something and is binding in some way. It only happens when I turn to the right with the brakes applied. I didnt have any issues before replacing the shock. Any ideas on this?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If you still have your old shock, send it to Peter C. to have him rebuild.

Unless somebody has changed something on the Midget shock you bought, it should be exasctly like your old one.

OP
M

Midget78

Jedi Trainee
I threw the old shock out in the trash. It couldnt be rebuilt due to the fulcrum arm where it meets the body of the shock had about 1/4" of metal worn away. Those types of conditions they commented "they couldnt be rebuilt for the standard cost and I would need to buy a new shock". So the one on the shelf was easy to buy for the cost and the fact there was no waiting for it also made it easier to leave with it. Now I have another issue because I couldnt wait to buy a new one. Im wondering if low or no fluid in the shock could cause this but Im thinking its not the case. I looked at the brake pads and the rotor and they are all fine. It acts like the brake isnt grabbing.

G

How did the bushings look? Did you change that too or put the old one back in (if you removed it at all)?

OP
M

Midget78

Jedi Trainee
Put in all new bushings while it was apart (perfect time to do it). Im pretty sure its an issue with the shock so Im going to pull it and put a new one on.

Morris

Yoda
It could be something you knocked loose or bent unknowingly while replacing the shock. The issues you describe sounds more consistent with a loose caliper or sticking brake pads.

It's not a bad idea to send both or your shocks for rebuild to PeterC. PeterC's rebuilds are reportedly better than new. But you may be jumping the gun a bit replacing that shock.

When working on these cars, one of the most important principles to remember is that correlation is not always causation.

PeterC

Jedi Warrior
Midget78 said:
My guess is the arm is possibly longer or something and is binding in some way.

If it helps any, there is only 1 arm. The Spridget front shock is quite unique among Armstrong's offerings. There is nothing else even close, and there's only 1 arm like it.

I'd look for an issue elsewhere.

Peter C.

G

I'm just gonna throw this out there just in case.

Any chance you accidently bought a driver's side shock ???
( caster would be WAY off and I can't see it being driven without it wanting to dive off of the road, but, like I said, I'm just putting this out there).

There is always the chance that this problem exsisited before and was just masked by the slop from the shock.

What "rubbing" noise do you have, metal or tire?

I would suspect that you have a warped rotor and couldn't tell before.

Next step I would do is pull the wheel off and turn the rotor by hand to see if you do indeed have a warped rotor.

Any bearing play?

Perhaps this problem is what wore the shock that bad to begin with.

Bent hub?

It might be best to pull eveything down and have it run in a brake lathe to see if the hub and rotor are true. Checking the rim wouldn't be a bad idea either.

G

You must have gotten the alternate universe shock. I think there was a Superman episode that detailed that.

G

John_Shep said:
Maybe I'm not normal, but I would have replaced both left and right shocks at the same time.

Balance is beautiful.

JS

Yes but he replaced with a used part. It would have been the same as just taking the other side off and reinstalling. It could have been worse replacing both with used pieces of unknown quality. It would have been harder to find the cause in the end. Both replacements could be bad at worse and best case he'd have to investigate both sides to find the problem. At least he knew what he had w/ the other side.

That's part of the problem w/ buying used parts from a "supplier". Sometimes bad units get placed on the side and forgotten about till someone needs it and then," hey, isn't there one under the counter?". I can't tell you how many core returns I've seen accidentally migrate back to the shelf only to be sold to someone thinking they just bought a reman unit.