• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Free TR3

G

I have a buddy here in my little town that has a profitable construction company. Well, in one of his storage bins is a TR3 that is truly in sad, sad condition. I saw it once about 3 years ago and know for a fact that the "restoration fairy" hasn't visited it in the interim. He has the engine sitting out on the floor, in one piece, and wants to get rid of the whole shebang. I couldn't mind having the engine/tranny. What should I look for to see if the thing is even worth having and is not indeed a boat anchor? Like, should I even try to get the crank to move? Obviously large cracks, bullet holes, etc. would make be suspicious. I would like to put it on an engine stand and start the long process of making a nice working engine for the day I find my TR3 to restore. Wish me luck.

Bill

bluemiata90

Jedi Trainee
I don't think trying to turn the engine over by hand would cause any problems, considering you sound like your going to rebuild it anyways, I doubt turning it over by hand could break anything. If your intentions are to rebuild it. Just make sure there are no major cracks or holes and take both the engine and trans. For free, it's a great starting point.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Bill -

Those wet liner engines are pretty bullet-proof. Turning it by hand will at least tell you if it is frozen up. But even if you pulled the valve cover and saw that most of the valves had dropped and caused all sorts of troubles all you would need is a new piston and liner kit (and about $500-$1000!).

I say never look a Triumph gift horse in the mouth (or however that saying goes) - take it all, say thanks, and run!

Randy

GeorgiaTriumph

Freshman Member
Pour some marvel mystery oil in the cylinders to loosen things up. That should help.

OP
G

The rest of the story on that Free TR3.
I went and looked at it tonight. Engine is intact sitting on the ground inside the storage shed. Looks like everything is there, SUs, A-type overdrive tranny, chrome valve cover...all covered in grease and muck. The good news is I put a BFW on the crank fan extension, stood on it, and the crank turned! I think the engine might be rebuildable. It hasn't run since 1970. If it is free, why not. The body is another story. Total rot. A couple of the wings could be used if the rust isn't through and through. Gauges are rebuildable. Frame is half gone from rot. So, there are a few body panels that might be usable by someone. The kicker is the guy put four brand new 4-bolt Minilite-style aluminum wheels on this wreck. Look like Panasports but they are not. Says "made in UK" and "KN" on the wheels. These things are brand new ! With four new but dry-rotted common tires. So, anybody interested? The wheels are worth money, but the car, to me, has no value. Again, the wheels are new and perfect, unmarked. I want the engine, anybody interested in the car? Gotta pay something for the 4 wheels. Let me know. I can get pics if anybody interested.

Bill

TRTEL

Jedi Trainee
Bill,
The transmission is probably the most valuable bit if the overdrive is ok. The engine is probably worth rebuilding as long as it's not an early pre 9000 car (no insert cam bearings). How long have the rims been on the car and what's the rim width and or tire size?
Tom Lains

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Bill-

Wow, can't sleep tonight so here I am at 2 in the morning checking on this board. I am definitely hooked!

The wheels are Minator. If they are 15"x5.5" I'm in dire need of 2, I'd gladly buy all 4 if you didn't want them. Moss or Vic Brit sell them.

The A type overdrive typically goes for $800-1500 on ebay.

Randy

Adrio

Jedi Knight
Country flag
If you look at my web site in the TR4 section you will find the TR3 engine that I rebuild for my TR4. It started out in a worse storage situation then what you describe. I would say it is worth going for. On the other hand I would probably go for the whole car (again see my web site to see what a glutton for pain I am)

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Hey bill, is there a hood with it? Or how about a rear axle, or a front spindle???? I shall await your response with bait breath.

OP
G

[ QUOTE ]

I shall await your response with bait breath.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is that the same as "sushi breath"?
The car is complete and sitting on it's wheels. I, at this moment, want the engine and tranny. That could change tomorrow, especially when I got the evil eye from my spouse.

My friend offered me the engine/tranny free. If I try to give it to someone else, he will want money I am afraid. Ya'll let me work on this guy some more. I will try and post pics.

Bill

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Bill-

I understand the evil eye thing. That's why I hide my other TR4 offsite. So if you do get the evil eye, at least grab that tranny for your future 3..

Randy.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
I need all the switches, kobs, and lights off the dash, the capping from the doors and across the top of the dash (even if they're just the metal part left), the flat plates off the sides of the windscreen frame, a set of wintone horns and a rear axle.
hehehe how's that for starters.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I need...a rear axle....

[/ QUOTE ]Still? Do you want to stay with the original type with the Lockheed brakes or "upgrade" to the later and stronger axle with Girling brakes? I've still got some of those later axles sitting around.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
[ QUOTE ]
The kicker is the guy put four brand new 4-bolt Minilite-style aluminum wheels on this wreck. Look like Panasports but they are not. Says "made in UK" and "KN" on the wheels. These things are brand new ! With four new but dry-rotted common tires. So, anybody interested? The wheels are worth money, but the car, to me, has no value. Again, the wheels are new and perfect, unmarked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi,

Randy has first dibs on the wheels, but I'd be very interested in one or two of them if they are the silver painted KN Minator 15x5.5J and the price is right. I need a spare or two to match the set on my TR. My direct email is AMfoto1@aol.com

Hey, you shouldn't get an evil eye if you drag that car home, sell it off in pieces here, on eBay and/or on Craigslist.com, and turn a tidy profit! I bet there are lots and lots of usable pieces, despite the overall bad condition. I got the evil eye briefly for dragging home a $24 camera bag from the local Goodwill Store... That went away quickly when I sold the stuff that was inside: a lens went for $200, a viewfinder for $150 and a light meter for $80. Wish I could turn that kind of profit on all my investments!;)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

dizzplaced

Freshman Member
A camera bag??????? HAHAHAHAHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAH
(that's my insane laughter)
I got a letter from my father yesterday(I rent a house from him) "If you find the need to deposit one more rusted out, non running, space eating, pile of junk, neighborhood eyesore at my home, you and it will be removed from the premises promptly." But Pop...I can dismantle it and sell it on ebay over the course of 10 years.
(Nothing personal Alan.)

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Hey, if it has a good windshield/windscreen (whatever you wish to call it) glass. The one on my '59 is cracked.