• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Faded brake light lens

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I just finished restoring a 1959 Lambretta scooter. All is good except I'm not happy with the brake light lens. I know this may sound crazy but I'm thinking it was molded clear and then painted with a translucent red color... I could be wrong but just my best guess.
As it stands now, it is mostly clear, which is not good for a brake light. See the photos below.
Is there anything (or product) I can do to make it red again? I've thought of trying RIT which is a dye for fabric, but it says it can be used for coloring plastics. Any other ideas or suggestions?

Lambretta tail light 001.jpgLambretta tail light 002.jpgLambretta tail light 004.jpgLi 175 003.jpg

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Don't know anything about the lens but that is a mighty fine looking scooter :eagerness:

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That is interesting JP... and thanks for your detective work. I also did do a search but came up empty. This afternoon, I special ordered Red Translucent spray paint. After reading the instructions in the link you posted I think my translucent paint may be a better way to go.... Per the instructions on the "cobrafan" pages you paint the outside of the plastic lens then clear coat, then wet sand; seems arduous.
The translucent paint I bought is sprayed onto the inside of the lens. There is no prep other than cleaning before painting and it shouldn't weather since it's on the inside. I should have it on Thursday and will post some "After" shots when I'm done.
Thanks for your input again JP.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I'll be interested to see how it goes - I seem to recall my Fiat also has nasty lights. I am even more interested in seeing more pics of the Vespa - before and afters especially!

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ouch JP; they are LAMBRETTA's (I have two of them).... don't use the "V" word :dejection:
I'll be sure to let you know how the brake lights come out. I see a common thread here... both my Lambretta and your Fiat were made in Italy; maybe they dipped them in Vino before shipping!
I don't have any digital pics of the scooter during restoration, but I do have some engine pics.
Here you go...
TV175 engine 001.jpgEngine case.jpgLambretta gearbox 001web.jpgTV175 Rebuild 003web.jpgLambrettas 002web.jpg

Last edited:

George_H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
What about some of the red LED lights? Maybe try and adapt something before "painting" a lens that you may not be easily replacable? BTW sweet scooter!

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thanks for your input George. They do make LED's for this tail light only they are white and the lens make it appear red so I'm back where I started. Also, since LED's operate on DC, I would need a rectifier since the stator on the scooter puts out AC. Putting on a rectifier though is not a real problem.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
George- I stand corrected... your idea is indeed a great solution! I sent an email to the manufacturer for clarification since the color of the LED's in their description was not clear enough. As it turns out, the LED tail light assembly that they make has BOTH white AND red color led's.
It has RED on the left and right side of the light when you apply the brake, and WHITE in the middle to illuminate the license.
Thanks for the suggestion!

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Ouch JP; they are LAMBRETTA's (I have two of them).... don't use the "V" word :dejection:

Oops my bad. Mea Culpa. And even after you identified it plain as day in your initial post. P-I-A-G-G-I-O. Yup, plain as day. :devilgrin:

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oops my bad. Mea Culpa. And even after you identified it plain as day in your initial post. P-I-A-G-G-I-O. Yup, plain as day. :devilgrin:

So you are saying that you're not INNOCENTI JP :hammer:

Last edited:
OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oh My... take a look at the "Before and After" pics. It's hard to believe that it's the same tail light. I sprayed the INSIDE with translucent red model paint.
The paint is so thin that it took about 5 coats to get to the right shade.
Lambretta tail light B-A.jpg
Lambretta tail light B-A2.jpg
Lambretta tail light B-A3.jpg

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That looks great, can you share details about the paint?
Sure, no problem...

Practra RC Car Paint
#RC271 Candy Red

I'm sure there are other model paints that would work just as well; just make sure the paint you use is translucent. Be patient and give it time to dry completely between coats.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Elliot, I think you have come up with a solution that has plagued restorers for a long time, faded rare tail light lenses! Good one! Yours looks great! PJ

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thanks Paul! Since I couldn't replace them and couldn't live with the way they looked I had to try something. So far they are holding up quite well.