• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Engine Hoist

Spinal_Tap

Hi all,

I'm doing a heart...er...engine transplant soon on an '85 VW Vanagon (Waterboxer). I also plan on doing the same thing to the MG-B at some point in the future.

In light of this, I need to get an engine hoist/crane for safety and simplicity. Not to mention having the right tool for the job.

I'm looking for some guidance on this purchase. It seems like most FLAPS in the area sell a 1 ton crane for ~100-150$. Seems reasonable and what I need. Places like Harbor Freight (there's one local to me) and Northern Tool sell the folding type for about the same, but the price nearly doubles when you add shipping in.

Also there's the space issue. I actually DON'T want the "foldable" type of crane, as they seem to take up MORE space than if I just disassemble a non-folding type. I'll use it infrequently enough that re-building the crane each time is a small price to pay for the extra space. (Read: I have a small garage, and a lot of cars.)

Any hints, information, suggestions, or first-hand experience would be appreciated!

Cheers!

D

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
I have a small garage too. What I wound up doing was renting a hoist twice. Still cheaper than buying even a crappy hoist then figuring out how to store it. Consider also that 1-ton is the max it will support with the arm at its shortest. If you have to extend the arm, the weight it will support goes down.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Not sure if it works on the Vanagon, due to the engine being inside the car; however I bought two chain hoists from N Tool, and attached them to long 4x4's and spread the load across several trusses. Gives me leveling control as well.

Works for anything ~400 pound max per hoist location... beyond that I would worry about the strength of the trusses. Even then, I only load the trusses close to the edge.

bill_young

Jedi Warrior
I have a 2 ton folding model I bought from Cummins Tool. It's identical to the unit sold by HF but in a different color combination. It does take up a bit of room when folded, but not much more than a non-folding type would even disassembled. I've used it several times now to lift various items even other than engines and it's a handy thing to have around. If you're definitely not going to be using it much then renting might be a better soluton, but if you're likely to need it seveal times then it would be cheaper to buy in the long run. Keep an eye open if you're not in too much of a hurry, they do go on sale from time to time and you can save a pretty good amount then, I think mine was marked down over $20 when I bought it.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I have the 2-ton non-folding model from HF
https://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=7620

IMO the difference in storage area is significant; the folding model takes an area some 2 feet deep; while removing 4 bolts and a clevis pin from the non-folding model will let it store in an area only 6" deep. I keep it tied to the garage wall (in case of earthquakes).

Personally, I'm willing to pay extra for the convenience of having it on hand when I need it rather than having to plan around a rental. I'm usually at work when the rental places are open, which adds hassle.

It's also nice to be able to disassemble and transport it. For example, when I bought a spare GT6 engine with no loading help available, I just loaded the crane in the back of the station wagon, drove to where the engine was, assembled the crane, set the engine in, etc. Whole operation only took a few hours and I did it by myself.

As noted, the advertised capacity is only with the boom retracted. On mine, fully extended drops the capacity to 1000 pounds, which is still plenty to handle anything I'm likely to work on. Another point to keep in mind, the legs also need to be extended, and because of the angle, they spread farther apart at the same time. With the legs fully extended, they may not fit between the wheels.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I have the folding model from Harbor Freight....been using it for 10 or 12 years.

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
Try Craigs List. Bought mine (northern brand) plus leveler plus 750# rotating engine stand for $150. Had only been used once, paint not even scratched.

D

DougF

A friend and I bought a 2 ton hoist about 15 yrs ago. We tear it down after every use. We lend it to friends and they store it until it's needed again. Works out well and everybody is happy.

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
All good info on the cranes.

Sadly, a crane is not the tool for Volksy bus engines, including the Vanagon. I've never done the wasserboxer, but all the air-cooled motors I've done came out on a standard rolling floor jack. I've owned two water-cooled Vanagons and, while I never had to pull the motors myself, it appears to be the same procedure, with the added complications of dis/reconnecting all of the cooling system. Bleccch.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
tony barnhill said:
I have the folding model from Harbor Freight....been using it for 10 or 12 years.

Me too Tony. Well made and folds up for storage. Amazing how little space it takes after it's folded up.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Maybe not for a bus but the hoist does come in handy for a VW Beetle though. I use it to lift the car so the motor rolls right out on the jack without having to pull the jack out from undr the motor after lowering. Makes the whole operation a piece of cake. Can get that thing out in about 20 minutes.

Country flag
TR3driver said:
Another point to keep in mind, the legs also need to be extended, and because of the angle, they spread farther apart at the same time. With the legs fully extended, they may not fit between the wheels.

Also note how much ground clearance is available under your car (with the engine in it!) and whether the legs will fit under it....

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
JamesWilson said:
Also note how much ground clearance is available under your car (with the engine in it!) and whether the legs will fit under it....
Yes, indeed! Fortunately, with my slightly lowered TR3A and the HF hoist, I can lift the front end by hand just enough to slide the hoist under.

If worst came to worst, I could probably remove the casters, set the hoist on the floor and roll the car into/out of position. But I've not tried that. Using a floor jack to raise the car a little might be an option too.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I actually found it easier and more stable to have the car on jackstands when reinstalling my engine. the hoist fit better and I could quickly get underneath and the car didn't shift at all when I leaned on it